Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Aftermarket rears and ABS/3 channel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011 | 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Default Aftermarket rears and ABS/3 channel?

Not getting my answer by searching so here goes.

When getting quotes for any of the rears there is an additional cost for adding the 3 channel/ABS option.

If you omit this on a 3 channel car what needs to be done? ABS delete kit? If you don't do anything do you have a dash light? Any other braking consequence other than no ABS-is proportioning off?
Old 02-15-2011 | 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

If you install a non 3 channel rear, you will definitely get a dash light. I would think there is a way to turn it off within the tune. Could always pull the bulb.
Old 02-15-2011 | 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

So is the ABS delete kit required if you do't go with a 3 channel set up?
Old 02-15-2011 | 09:58 PM
Launching!

money you spend on abs delete kit could be used to pay for the abs if your ordering the rear new. Also abs is still good to have imho.
Old 02-16-2011 | 01:33 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by wrd1972
If you install a non 3 channel rear, you will definitely get a dash light. I would think there is a way to turn it off within the tune. Could always pull the bulb.
It can't be turned on or off in the calibration. It's a function of the BCM not the PCM unfortunately.
Old 02-16-2011 | 02:02 AM
10 Second Club

I'm about to do this, 1 for a cleaner engine bay, 2 less weight (minimal but why not?), 3 going to do a line lock anyway so it's a good time for it. You will have a dash light on but most people just pull the bulb so it doesn't light up. The cost of adding ABS to a rear end is more than an ABS delete, and if you run bigs and littles the ABS won't work anyway.
Old 02-16-2011 | 03:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

People have been removing the abs units on these cars for years. You will need a proportioning valve to maintain proper brake bias. There is/was? a sponsor who sold a kit with all lines etc... With that said, if by chance (God Forbid) you got into a wreck, and there were injuries or death the lawyers would do everything in their power to blame you for "removing a safety device." They will try every angle in the book. Trust me.

Insurance companies hate modified cars on the street, and they really hate modified cars without air bags, abs, seat-belts and so on.

Now that the aftermarket can supply you with abs capable rears an insurance claims person or lawyer won't be able to say you pulled the bulb, put in a valve, and disabled a part of the car that could have prevented the accident.

Swapping the rear to a 9", 12-bolt or S60 means nothing in terms of litigation if the factory safety systems were working at the time. I would keep it on the street. Just a thought.
Old 02-16-2011 | 06:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

If you do not select the ABS the ABS does not work but the brakes appear to me to have the same front to rear bias as they did when the ABS was working. Basically you're back to old school brakes where you have to learn threshold braking, and you'll have that idiot light on the dash to contend with. I myself have never cared for ABS, I prefer being able to apply the amount of pressure required to stop the car in a panic situation with my foot. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-16-2011 | 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Carter Hays
People have been removing the abs units on these cars for years. You will need a proportioning valve to maintain proper brake bias. There is/was? a sponsor who sold a kit with all lines etc... With that said, if by chance (God Forbid) you got into a wreck, and there were injuries or death the lawyers would do everything in their power to blame you for "removing a safety device." They will try every angle in the book. Trust me.

Insurance companies hate modified cars on the street, and they really hate modified cars without air bags, abs, seat-belts and so on.

Now that the aftermarket can supply you with abs capable rears an insurance claims person or lawyer won't be able to say you pulled the bulb, put in a valve, and disabled a part of the car that could have prevented the accident.

Swapping the rear to a 9", 12-bolt or S60 means nothing in terms of litigation if the factory safety systems were working at the time. I would keep it on the street. Just a thought.
Thats an interesting angle that I did not consider.

I realize an extra $150 is not much, but it seems alot of people just go for race ready set ups and omit the ABS. I was just curious if this hurt anything other than losing ABS. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 02-16-2011 | 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

I deleted my ABS for my 9'' Rear. Brakes work great With proporting valve set correctly, I can step hard enough on my brakes to stop in a straight line without car jack knifing or losing control.
Old 02-16-2011 | 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

The $150 is not bad for the 3-channel, but then, add the price of any of the differentials over the price of a spool and it does add up. From my understanding and what Strange has told me, 3-channel ABS is a no go with a spool. That is my dilema right now ... spool w/no ABS and save $500+ for the suspension or some type of locker and have ABS active. Mostly this will be a strip car with occasional trips to the office (5 miles) and an fbody meet every now and then.
Old 02-16-2011 | 10:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
The $150 is not bad for the 3-channel, but then, add the price of any of the differentials over the price of a spool and it does add up. From my understanding and what Strange has told me, 3-channel ABS is a no go with a spool. That is my dilema right now ... spool w/no ABS and save $500+ for the suspension or some type of locker and have ABS active. Mostly this will be a strip car with occasional trips to the office (5 miles) and an fbody meet every now and then.
you may want to try putting the reluctor ring on the yoke like the guy did who made the junkyard 9, check his thread for pics.
Old 02-16-2011 | 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Running 3-CHN is such a hit and miss subject really. Like Bob mentioned most of us grew up never knowing what ABS was and had to learn to do what ABS does by our self. An there is added cost to set up an after market housing with ABS, the cost of the ring is one and then you have to use certain center sections to make it happen like BrianSF-GA mentioned, with our builds any way.

With our build you get the choice of of using a Spool, Truetrac, or Wavetrac. Which works out well considering the Wavetrac has been a hot option lately. We are working on our own 3CHN rings how ever since the OEM ones are getting harder and harder to come buy but in doing so we should be able to do 3CHN on any differential available.

I need to do some searching but I swore at one time doing some surfing on here or the web someone figured how to "unplug" the light with out pulling the dash apart and pulling the bulb. For the life of me I can not find it now though.

If you DD the vehicle and it see's rain and other bad weather it is not a bad idea to keep it on.