Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

installing my 9in, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 64 Posts

Default installing my 9in, few questions

so im installing my 9in and there are a couple stupid questions i have. My housing came with regular nuts, washers, and locking washers to bolt the center section to the housing. the builder also put some nylon locking washers on all the studs.. should i stick with mosers supplied stuff or go with the nylon ones? i dont really see why it would matter as long as the housing is torqued down enough but i just dont want to have any problems or void any warranties

also, where are you guys mounting the little y-block for the rear brake lines? right now mine is kinda just floating there with the lines back in it.. i mean zipties seem like the only option and that kinda sucks.

has anyone ever had problem with the moser gasket leaking? i installed and torqued the center section down with only the gasket and didnt even think about RTV till after so im kinda worried about that.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy some new brake lines and bend them to fit the housing better. I used zip ties too.

As far as leaking, my center section doesn't leak a drop. My problem is the axle seals. Tried fixing it twice with no luck.

Last edited by BlkBird2000; 03-26-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

no problem out of the center but I have a leak from the axle seal.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of setup are you guys running who are having axle seal problems?

Mine has the 7900fm housing ends with sealed bearings and stock lt1 brakes. If mine were to leak I would have to buy new axle bearings.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Before installing the axle seals, RTV' all around the inside where they are going to get tapped in. Once the seals are tapped in, use your finger to apply RTV around the edge of the seal. This should prevent any leaks. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-27-2011, 07:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oldsmobility85

Mine has the 7900fm housing ends with sealed bearings and stock lt1 brakes. If mine were to leak I would have to buy new axle bearings.
The Moser axel bearings have an O ring on them to seal the oil off. I was going to run the factory style seal inside the housing as well but it wouldnt work. The seal was riding on to big an area on the axel.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Teching In

You can go to a junkyard and get the vent bolt off a 80s ford truck. It is long it goes through the brake line then gives you a place for the vent. You just have to drill the factory brake hose mounting hole out a little. Worked on mine pretty good.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Before installing the axle seals, RTV' all around the inside where they are going to get tapped in. Once the seals are tapped in, use your finger to apply RTV around the edge of the seal. This should prevent any leaks. Bob
i already installed my axles but is it ok to pull them back out or are the bearings/seals toast if they get pulled after being installed?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Oldsmobility85

I have the same bearings. I am not looking forward to pulling the axles and replacing the bearings. I had to cut them off once before because moser sent them mounted on the axle shafts before I had a chance to put the backing plates on.