Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Spool on the street.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what type of rear did you put back in? Is it a modified stock 10 bolt?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by 105
So what type of rear did you put back in? Is it a modified stock 10 bolt?
Same Moser 12-bolt. I originally bought it with an Eaton Posi and 4.10 gears. 2 years ago I broke the spiders in the posi on a pretty easy launch so I had a spool put in with the same 4.10's. In September I broke the ring and pinion due to wheel hop. Over the winter I rebuilt my original Eaton Posi and swapped in a set of 3.73 gears (I wanted more mph in 4th gear).
Old 04-14-2011, 02:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Moser 12-Bolt and the Eaton finally started to pull one wheel in the burnout box so I switched to a spool. For some reason I had the same experience where I hooked great on the street before and with the spool it would just destroy the tires. However, it does great at the race track and it cured my inconsistancy problems. Also, I still enjoy driving it even though it can be tough around turns and parking spots. It took me a week to get adjusted to the amount of room that I need to make an easy turn. Lastly, like others have said, I'd recommend it for a straightline car that gets driven once or twice a week.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
For some reason I had the same experience where I hooked great on the street before and with the spool it would just destroy the tires. However, it does great at the race track and it cured my inconsistancy problems.
Mine also worked well at the track. I believe the traction loss on the street is due to the surface of the tires getting chopped up, while at the track you can do a good burnout to clean them up. Just a guess though.

I will say that it was fun to pull a hard corner in a gas station parking lot or something and have people shy away like the car was about to explode
Old 04-14-2011, 02:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Mine also worked well at the track. I believe the traction loss on the street is due to the surface of the tires getting chopped up, while at the track you can do a good burnout to clean them up. Just a guess though.

I will say that it was fun to pull a hard corner in a gas station parking lot or something and have people shy away like the car was about to explode
Sometimes it's fun pulling out of a parking spot because I have to give it gas to make the turn. 90% of the time someone is standing in the area listening to the car and it springs backwards at them. Also, I went to the local car cruise that's mainly older cars and I was told to try and not leave marks in the parking lot lol. I replied with okay I'll unlock the spool before I show up lol.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Moser 12-bolt here. Once the spool went in I adjusted the e-brake several times and it always unadjusted within a couple miles. Since I put the posi back in the e-brake has been working perfectly.

I don't have any personal experience with Trutracs, Wavetracs or any of the others. I have heard about Truetracs breaking though (of course I broke my Eaton posi on a relatively easy 4000 rpm motor launch with zero wheel hop, so who knows).
its because the f-body has drum e-brakes, and everytime the spool binds the rear end up while going around turns, it causes the shoes to be pushed against the drum because the axles are twisting essentially a small amount. not too hard to adjust the emergency brake cable once in a while.

btw, i had the same problem with my spool. with the posi, it was fine, but as soon as the spool went in i had to adjust the brake cable every few weeks or so depending on how much i drove it.

Quick Reply: Spool on the street.