Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Spool on the street.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spool on the street.

how bad is an actual spool with street driving?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most say suicide. Others say harmless if you stay out of the rain and all around know how to drive. I contemplated getting one for my chevelle but i went for the LockRight instead
Old 04-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Launching!

mine is fine but its not my daily driver. you dont really notice it on slicks but on street tires it feels like its ripping the car apart lol
Old 04-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Banned

What do u mean it feels like its tearing the car apart?
Old 04-06-2011, 04:11 PM
10 Second Club

I don't drive mine daily, but it has a spool. If your car is a stick, you won't notice it as much as in an automatic. Where it makes itself MOST known is slow speed turns, as the inside wheel is still trying to turn as fast as the outside wheel, its an un-nerving feeling the first few times you feel it, then you just get used to it
Old 04-06-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

It's fine on the street. It's not fine in parking lots and other places where tight turns are made. A spool will eat your tires up a lot faster. I had one in my car for a few months. I didn't mind it. But I swapped it out because I wanted to do more than just drag race the car. Like take it on trips and go around some curvy roads.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
It's fine on the street. It's not fine in parking lots and other places where tight turns are made. A spool will eat your tires up a lot faster. I had one in my car for a few months. I didn't mind it. But I swapped it out because I wanted to do more than just drag race the car. Like take it on trips and go around some curvy roads.

What kind of tires were you running?
Old 04-07-2011, 03:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get asked this question twenty times a day and here is my general feeling on this for *me*. If my goal with the car I am building is to go fast in a straight line only *I* use a spool and deal with the other stuff that comes with it but personally it has never bothered me and been driving car this way for um a couple years now.

Now if *I* want a fun all around car I put in some kind of posi whether it be a clutch style or mechanical, but keep in mind choosing the correct one of those is not the easiest task either as they are not as bullet proof as a spool is and lets be honest these cars today weigh to much and make way to much HP to be using the same style diff units that were not designed for this kind of abuse, which leaves you with one option and that is to spend the money on a Wavetrac or Stranges new diff unit once released.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 0269camaro
What kind of tires were you running?
26" & 28" MT Drag Radials. I'm sure it would be better with a soft sidewall tire but I did a lot of street driving and wanted a stiffer sidewall.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Banned

The car will be street driven. to and from the track as well. as well as highway runs
Old 04-08-2011, 04:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
I get asked this question twenty times a day and here is my general feeling on this for *me*. If my goal with the car I am building is to go fast in a straight line only *I* use a spool and deal with the other stuff that comes with it but personally it has never bothered me and been driving car this way for um a couple years now.

Now if *I* want a fun all around car I put in some kind of posi whether it be a clutch style or mechanical, but keep in mind choosing the correct one of those is not the easiest task either as they are not as bullet proof as a spool is and lets be honest these cars today weigh to much and make way to much HP to be using the same style diff units that were not designed for this kind of abuse, which leaves you with one option and that is to spend the money on a Wavetrac or Stranges new diff unit once released.
Very well put.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Very well put.
Agreed!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a spool, but I sure would rather a rear that is tough and can do it all. I'm only looking to max 500-600hp. In this area, I get really jealous of the corvettes, mustangs, etc..
Old 04-13-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by slayer performance
...on street tires it feels like its ripping the car apart lol
This is pretty much my thoughts.

I asked a bunch of people how it would be driving a spool on the street and they all assured me that I'd barely notice it except for some extra tire wear. When I picked up the car I didn't even get it out of the parking spot (moved the car maybe 5 feet) and I was like, "WTF did I just do to my car?!" I felt like I was getting punked.

To top it off, it caused my drag radials to get chewed up, which made them not hook at all ever. I went from being able to spray a 100 shot in 1st gear and hook fine, to absolutely blowing the tires off at 40 mph without spraying. Made it pretty pointless since it was supposed to help the car hook and it killed traction on the street.

I can see how this wouldn't be an issue for a car running slicks.

I'm currently installing an Eaton posi back in.

Just my experience, for what it's worth.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
To top it off, it caused my drag radials to get chewed up
This is why I'm currently running some cheap 295/50/16 BF Goodrich Radial TA's on the street. I swap to 295/50/16 MT Streets only when I go to the track. I have two sets of identical rear wheels.

That being said I'm still really considering switching to the new Strange posi that is coming out for the 9". Hopefully the price isn't stupid high.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by 105
This is why I'm currently running some cheap 295/50/16 BF Goodrich Radial TA's on the street. I swap to 295/50/16 MT Streets only when I go to the track. I have two sets of identical rear wheels.
I drive my car 95% on the street and only hit up the track maybe once a month in a good year, so street tires would make the car no fun to drive since I'd just be spinning everywhere.

I just finished rebuilding my rear, including a posi rebuild, and it's so much nicer to drive.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, whether you have a sticky street tires like GSD3's or DR's, your going to spend a bunch of money replacing tires and/or have terrible streetability.

In my opinion, spools are for people who drive their car once or twice a week on the street max AND go to the track frequently.

Now that I've got my DD back up and running I'll be at the track once a week hopefully.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by 105
Yeah, whether you have a sticky street tires like GSD3's or DR's, your going to spend a bunch of money replacing tires and/or have terrible streetability.

In my opinion, spools are for people who drive their car once or twice a week on the street max AND go to the track frequently.
I agree 100%

Also, unless there's some trick that I don't know about, the spool causes your e-brake to go out of adjustement and not work. The fact that mine works again makes the car so much easier to deal with.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I agree 100%

Also, unless there's some trick that I don't know about, the spool causes your e-brake to go out of adjustement and not work. The fact that mine works again makes the car so much easier to deal with.
Its not the spool, its the 9" all together that requires it to be adjusted. I had a Truetrac in my 9" first and the mechanic forgot to adjust the e-brake. He adjusted it when replaced the broken Truetrac with the spool.

FYI after one season at the track with the truetrac I ended up warping the splines on one of the axles and got cuts or knotches in most the worm gears. It caused the rear to make loud popping noises whenever I took a turn. I ran mostly NA on MT Streets that season but sprayed 100 a few times. The rest of my setup is in my sig.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:52 PM

Moser 12-bolt here. Once the spool went in I adjusted the e-brake several times and it always unadjusted within a couple miles. Since I put the posi back in the e-brake has been working perfectly.

I don't have any personal experience with Trutracs, Wavetracs or any of the others. I have heard about Truetracs breaking though (of course I broke my Eaton posi on a relatively easy 4000 rpm motor launch with zero wheel hop, so who knows).

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 04-14-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Spool on the street.