Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Got my 9" to quiet down a lot

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got my 9" to quiet down a lot

When i ordered my 9" from midwest,i ordered it with richmond 4.10's.They were absolutley rediculous they were so loud.People walking down the street would look at my car with a strange look on there face because it was so loud.It literally sounded like a tornado siren just light throttle.They were dead silent if i let off the gas though.Anyway i had a local fab shop change out the richmonds with some strange 4.10's and they are so much better.I can barely hear em now.The best thing about the 9" is how easy it is to work on,very simple to pull the axles,pull the center section etc.Took me no time at all to swap the 3rd member in and out.And i added 1.5 bottles of posi additive from the ford dealer for my trac-lok.I am hoping it holds out for me and doesnt give me any problems.Anyway my car is fun to drive again

Last edited by redtail2426; 04-08-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:15 PM
9 Second Club

what do you mean by "strange gears"? as far as i know they use richmonds, or motive gears. i have richmonds is my car and i hate them lol.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

the guy at the fab shop said he ordered the new gears from Strange.He gave me the old richmonds back in the box that the new gears came in and they say Strange right on the box too
Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

Prob Motive Gear set. That's what I have in my 9", really quiet.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

...how loud is it compared to stock?
Old 04-08-2011, 05:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

now its not much louder than stock.I have the stock ws6 catback on the car again and you can barley hear the gears over it,if i turn on the radio low you cant hear the gears..
Old 04-08-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redtail2426
When i ordered my 9" from midwest,i ordered it with richmond 4.10's.They were absolutley rediculous they were so loud.People walking down the street would look at my car with a strange look on there face because it was so loud.It literally sounded like a tornado siren just light throttle.They were dead silent if i let off the gas though.Anyway i had a local fab shop change out the richmonds with some strange 4.10's and they are so much better.I can barely hear em now.The best thing about the 9" is how easy it is to work on,very simple to pull the axles,pull the center section etc.Took me no time at all to swap the 3rd member in and out.And i added 1.5 bottles of posi additive from the ford dealer for my trac-lok.I am hoping it holds out for me and doesnt give me any problems.Anyway my car is fun to drive again
What brand of Trac Lock do you have in your rear?
Old 04-08-2011, 08:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Strange does not manufacture gears... they use Richmond, Motive Performance, and US Gear. The only way to tell is by the markings on the ring gear. We Still use Richmond gears on certain builds. It is a very high quality gear set, was the only USA made set until US Gear got back in the automotive market early last year.

Truth be known the Richmonds are probably one of the best gears out there for strength, design, and quality control, but not necessarily the best concerning noise. It is after all a "performance" gear and directed more toward racing, not street comfort.

We offer the Motive Performance and Richmond gears as of now, and as soon as the new Yukon are available will be back with them as well.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:56 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Strange does not manufacture gears... they use Richmond, Motive Performance, and US Gear. The only way to tell is by the markings on the ring gear. We Still use Richmond gears on certain builds. It is a very high quality gear set, was the only USA made set until US Gear got back in the automotive market early last year.

Truth be known the Richmonds are probably one of the best gears out there for strength, design, and quality control, but not necessarily the best concerning noise. It is after all a "performance" gear and directed more toward racing, not street comfort.

We offer the Motive Performance and Richmond gears as of now, and as soon as the new Yukon are available will be back with them as well.
X2 richmond is a badass gear set but like you said made for racing apps. need something for my street car. i would love to do hot rods power tour but not with these gears lol
Old 04-08-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

okay they must be US gear then.I just checked the box again and it also says US gear.Yeah i know i was taking a gamble with the richmonds.I know they are a quality built gear,and i also know they can be a bit noisy compared to the others.I believe its the trac-loc posi thats built with the billet cover.Its whatever i got from midwest.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

It's not because you got different gears. It's because you had someone else do the gears and not mwc. A local guy bought their rear end and it howled like a MF. Solid and awesome quality rear end, but it was just set up by someone with a blind fold on.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you must also break in the gears properly .
Old 04-08-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
It's not because you got different gears. It's because you had someone else do the gears and not mwc. A local guy bought their rear end and it howled like a MF. Solid and awesome quality rear end, but it was just set up by someone with a blind fold on.
I kind of came to the conclusion that everyone has an opinion on proper gear setup,and if its the Brand or cut of the gears that make noise,or it being an incorrect setup that makes them loud.When midwest sent me the gears they still had the marking compound on them.I gave them a real good look,and from what i could tell they looked perfect.I dont know if that means anything.The guy here locally said the richmond were not setup right at all,so i dont know.The other thing i dont understand is the richmond gears were wearing differently then what the marking compound initially showed.I can post a pic of the richmonds if you guys wanna have a look at them,but im not sure if you can really tell much from pics.
I would think that if midwest wasnt setting up gears correctly,that a hell of a lot of people would be complaining,and honestly i have not heard of any.Thats also why i was suprised when the guy at my local fab shop said that about the richonds.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by garygnu
you must also break in the gears properly .
I made sure i did with the richmonds,i did 5 heat cycles nice and easy and made sure the rear got up to at least 150* each time with a temp gun.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably the same blindfolded guy that builds 200mph cars and the components that go in them. Maybe you should just come down here and see what really goes on before you spout off at the mouth again.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol the hostility
Old 04-09-2011, 08:02 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Probably the same blindfolded guy that builds 200mph cars and the components that go in them. Maybe you should just come down here and see what really goes on before you spout off at the mouth again.
X2
Old 04-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Banned

Ive had my MWC 9" for about a year and a half now. When I got my rear I knew the Richmond's were going to be loud, but I wanted durability over anything else. They were installed after being verified good by 2 well known shops in FL. After 14k miles, many of those trips 700 mile one way trips, there still working and howlin away. Never once questioned whether I would make it to my destination. NOW with that said. Is there some guidance between the Richmonds, Motive, US Gear, and Yukon gears as to what is quieter and durability expectancies? Having a quieter rear would be great but im not going to trade knowing my Richmonds will/have gotten me everywhere, for lets say a US Gear that i cant hear but will also need to be swapped out in a year because they wont last.

*sorry to the OP if I hijacked
Old 04-09-2011, 09:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a pretty bold statement considering the amount of rear ends out there today that we set up over the past 10+ years considering we do more than just build our fabricated rear ends for F-Body's.

Like stated when we set up a gear set the compound is left on the gear and the customer can see it when they get it. We keep track of every gear set up we do so we can keep track if there is any fluctuation between them, the gears we offer have all been very consistent with each other for some time now. That being said that would mean every gear we set up would be loud and that just isn't the case.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cookba
Ive had my MWC 9" for about a year and a half now. When I got my rear I knew the Richmond's were going to be loud, but I wanted durability over anything else. They were installed after being verified good by 2 well known shops in FL. After 14k miles, many of those trips 700 mile one way trips, there still working and howlin away. Never once questioned whether I would make it to my destination. NOW with that said. Is there some guidance between the Richmonds, Motive, US Gear, and Yukon gears as to what is quieter and durability expectancies? Having a quieter rear would be great but im not going to trade knowing my Richmonds will/have gotten me everywhere, for lets say a US Gear that i cant hear but will also need to be swapped out in a year because they wont last.

*sorry to the OP if I hijacked
I really dont see your point,because i dont know of any gears that will wear out that fast and it being considered normal wear and tear.Any gearset should last a long time,sure the richmonds might be better for a car thats pullin 1.3 60ft times,but a 450rwhp car any gear brand should last a long time

Quick Reply: Got my 9" to quiet down a lot