Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

(Updated w. Pics) busted gears in moser 9 inch

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice work lol.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't implying that it was a moser problem per se, just that it reads as it was sourced thru moser. What reads right in the mind doesn't come out the same in text...lost in translation I suppose.

I'll be interested in the full autopsy results.

I haven't seen many spools lately, the spot that I was asking about is circled in red Normal machining marks, where it is put together, or ?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

You should of titled it, "busted gears in Strange Center" Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-07-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Is strange junk , i thought they were good to go, it is a moser housing
Old 05-08-2011, 01:34 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Pull the caps and see if the spool is still in one piece when removed. Over the last 26 years I have destroyed several Ford nine inch ring and pinions . Through analysis with friends and techies 90% it was because of the ring gear carrier failing , followed by the dropout cracking and pinion and or ring gear failing.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
You should of titled it, "busted gears in Strange Center" Bob

While the statement is true, this has absolutely nothing to do with Strange or Moser. I can show you similar or worse results from Moser center sections as well so why don't we get down to the real subject... what the failure issue is.

Now for the people here that are looking for the technical aspect of this and not pointing fingers at specific manufacturers or trying to just sell parts:

This is obvious gear failure, and by looking at the wear on the ring gear teeth that are still intact it may be from a couple different reasons. I see wear that is consistent with a soft material, and very possibly from improper break-in. It is possible that the gear was setup high on the drive side which will wear the top of the tooth like that under hard loads. If the pinion support is not correct(or setup correct) for the application there may be a issue with load deflection which will show that wear and eventually end up like this. The pinion bearings may have lost their preload and caused bind-up which will cause chipped/cracked teeth. The spool in this setup does not appear to be manufactured from Strange either, so that would mean that Strange did not assemble it. Just a few things to keep in mind here so no one makes poor assumptions about components from any particular manufacturer.

The situation being here is that a heavy car with good power that uses a street gear(8620 material-harder) will eventually fail the ring and pinion. Put a brand new high quality street gear in my top sportsman car and it won't even last a weekend. Put a race gear(9310 material-softer)on the street and it will wear out quickly.

The correct case, correct pinion support, correct gear type, correct setup accessories(bearings, shims, etc) and experienced setup will make for a gear that will last for as long as it is intended to for the application.

OP: give us a call and we will be more than happy to get you on the road again with the right parts.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds good, let me give the place I purchased everything from a chance to reply back and I'll go from there....I can assure you these gears were broke in correctly, definently not the cause of failure