Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Spohn driveshafts using the wrong slip yoke?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spohn driveshafts using the wrong slip yoke?

To keep a long story short, I have an M6 with a stock 10-bolt. Stock driveshaft is giving me pretty bad vibes, figured I might as well upgrade the driveshaft with the new combo anyways, and do the rear end down the line.

I ordered their LMC115 which is for a stock transmission, stock length driveshaft. Spoke with Megan on the phone prior to placing my order to make sure I was getting the right thing. http://www.spohn.net/shop/1993-1997-...nsmission.html

When I got it, I immediately noticed it was shorter, by about 1.5". The actual driveshaft is the same length, but the slip yoke is shorter.

Factory driveshaft:
7" yoke
3 1/4" engagement
~1"+ of travel

Spohn:
5 1/2" yoke
2" engagement
1 1/2" of travel

It's barely 'half engaged' compared to how much it can/should be. Anyone else run into this? Should Spohn be shipping these with the 7" slip yokes? Their answer was "We've sold 100s like this and they are fine." I don't want 'fine', I want what is correct, and I don't think losing 1"+ of slip yoke engagement is a good thing.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

Since pictures make everything better.

OK, just because pictures make everything better.

Spohn fully seated. That silver line is from the silver sharpie I used.

Spohn 1 1/2" of travel:

Spohn 5 1/2" center-to-end:

Stocker 7" center-to-end:

Stocker 3 1/4" of engagement:

Spohn 2 1/8" of engagement:
Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

I talked with a couple other well-known driveline shops who both agreed that my driveshaft is too short. They don't use the 'long' yokes either, but, they would have added ~3/4" or so of tube to make the driveshaft the proper length.

I spoke with Spohn, explained everything to them, and got an RMA #. They want me to measure their d/s though and see if it's 41" center-to-center. I did, and it was exactly 41". Factory driveshaft is 40 3/4". IMO, they did not lengthen it enough to make up for the large gap between the end of the yoke and the tailshaft.

I then got this e-mail from them:
David, as far as the 20% restock fee, that would be determined once they receive it back here and look at the condition of it. I was talking to one of my guys and I told him what you said about your stock driveshaft slip yoke being 1 1/2" longer than our slip yoke. He said that there is no way that is a stock driveshaft that you have in the car than. He said they all used the same slip yoke no matter what f-body car it was. You can e-mail me back with your c-c" measurement too if you want!
If I need to pay a 20% restocking fee + shipping ($75 + $17) to return it, I'll just keep the damn thing and buy a different yoke.

I have confirmed that I have a factory yoke on my driveshaft. Either way, it's 3/4" too short. Even with the short yoke.

Probably get something from Denny's. They seem to have good policies.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmmm, I had that same spohn driveshaft with my 10 bolt. I wonder if mine was short.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Not to be a smartass, but did you ever check?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:36 AM
8 Second Club

the tail housing bushing is usually about 1/2 in ahead of the seal. so if 2.5"is inside the tranny with it bolted up its past the bushing. so has all the strength of the longer one. all that it comes down too is the bushing has to ride on the whole shaft. if u want pop the tail housing off and look what im saying about its location. it cant be tighter or looser if its all theway in the bushing.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Hey Matt,
I haven't had the housing off before. Do you have a picture of what you are talking about so that I might understand better?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dave88LX
Not to be a smartass, but did you ever check?
nope, i just assumed it was right, since it was advertised to be.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

What combo were you running at the time? (stock/street, or 400hp/slicks or what)

I didn't want to assume, and when I did their test of making sure I had enough travel, I discovered I had too much/shaft too short.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dave88LX
What combo were you running at the time? (stock/street, or 400hp/slicks or what)

I didn't want to assume, and when I did their test of making sure I had enough travel, I discovered I had too much/shaft too short.
485 rwhp stock bottom end LS1 at the time, with 315 nitto drag radials.

Quick Reply: Spohn driveshafts using the wrong slip yoke?