Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Cts-v 9" truetrac SLOP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 06:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cts-v 9" truetrac SLOP!

Hello, as stated i have an 04 cts-v with an mp112 on top and kooks LT's. I also have a ford 9" independant rear with 3.70 gears and a truecrap. i have been undernieth the car countless times looking for the ungodly amounts of play this thing has.

The car s a M6 so im afraid that the truetrac is the culprit of the annoying clunk i get when engaging the clutch from a stop or shifting through gears 1-4. Its not acceptable to me as its my DD and very embarassing to have anybody in the car with me, let alone anybody else drive it.

The drive shaft can turn about 1/4 turn +- before the axles are engaged. The center is a Strange Pro-iron with truetrac upgrade and 3.70 gears as stated before. Strange set it up, i followed break in to the "T" and have maybe 5000k on the setup with it getting worse and worse.

I plan to just buy a new limited slip even though mine is still under warranty from strange, eaton and the company that fabbed the housing but dissasembling my car and sending the center out for who knows how long for warranty is impossible for me right now (military) so i just want my car fixed and enjoyable again when i get back next year and am willing to pay whatever for the best limited slip option for my car and setup.

Open to suggestions or info and thank you in advance.

I am leaning towards a wavetrac but not sure on an M6 car.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it out and put in a billet Track Lock clutch posi.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by COLEVETTE
Hello, as stated i have an 04 cts-v with an mp112 on top and kooks LT's. I also have a ford 9" independant rear with 3.70 gears and a truecrap. i have been undernieth the car countless times looking for the ungodly amounts of play this thing has.

The car s a M6 so im afraid that the truetrac is the culprit of the annoying clunk i get when engaging the clutch from a stop or shifting through gears 1-4. Its not acceptable to me as its my DD and very embarassing to have anybody in the car with me, let alone anybody else drive it.

The drive shaft can turn about 1/4 turn +- before the axles are engaged. The center is a Strange Pro-iron with truetrac upgrade and 3.70 gears as stated before. Strange set it up, i followed break in to the "T" and have maybe 5000k on the setup with it getting worse and worse.

I plan to just buy a new limited slip even though mine is still under warranty from strange, eaton and the company that fabbed the housing but dissasembling my car and sending the center out for who knows how long for warranty is impossible for me right now (military) so i just want my car fixed and enjoyable again when i get back next year and am willing to pay whatever for the best limited slip option for my car and setup.

Open to suggestions or info and thank you in advance.

I am leaning towards a wavetrac but not sure on an M6 car.

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Differentials_c1253.htm

Take a look at what I offer at the above link. I would go with the Wavetrac if it were me. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

I was hoping you would chime in on this Bob, you seem to know your stuff when it comes to diffs. So thank you for your input!

The only thing that worries me is that the wavetrac has the same type of worm gears (is that right?) as my truetrac and many phone calls to strange have kind of led me to think that those are the cause of the excessive play in there, and at the better part of $1000 it would be an expensive venture, yet with your input i would be willing to try. Strange recommended a clutch type posi which im hesitant to do because its not as easy of a setup to be R&R'ing out of the car all the time say if i couldnt get the spring pressure right or i burnt some clutches, it requires me to drop the rear cradle and all the brake lines, suspension, abs wires etc. so i wont be going down that road. i know how a spool will react and is maitinence free but i just cant bring myself to doing that to a cadillac haha.

But like i said im desperate for something else so if anybody with an M6 and wavetrac could chime in for some reinforcement it will not go unaprieciated!!
Old 12-24-2011, 12:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I was hoping you would chime in on this Bob, you seem to know your stuff when it comes to diffs. So thank you for your input!

The only thing that worries me is that the wavetrac has the same type of worm gears (is that right?) as my truetrac and many phone calls to strange have kind of led me to think that those are the cause of the excessive play in there, and at the better part of $1000 it would be an expensive venture, yet with your input i would be willing to try. Strange recommended a clutch type posi which im hesitant to do because its not as easy of a setup to be R&R'ing out of the car all the time say if i couldnt get the spring pressure right or i burnt some clutches, it requires me to drop the rear cradle and all the brake lines, suspension, abs wires etc. so i wont be going down that road. i know how a spool will react and is maitinence free but i just cant bring myself to doing that to a cadillac haha.

But like i said im desperate for something else so if anybody with an M6 and wavetrac could chime in for some reinforcement it will not go unaprieciated!!

You won't have the slop with a Wavetrac, and it comes with a lifetime warranty. This V here has a spool in it, the customer likes it much better than the locker that was previously in it. Not everyone likes a spool, they do increase rear tire wear, but the Wavetrac wasn't available when the spool was installed. http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...sCTS-V-117.jpg Bob

Old 12-25-2011, 01:52 AM
Staging Lane

Well im sold, look for an order on the 1st. Also does this apply to me?

*Aftermarket cases may need to have material relieved for fitment.

I have a strange pro iron case.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yes definetly a Wavetrac is worth the price, and you wont have to ever worry about breaking it
Old 12-25-2011, 03:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had truetrac issues before as well, actually, one axle would turn slightly before the other and the car would have a jerk to one side.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZTwentyAteU
I've had truetrac issues before as well, actually, one axle would turn slightly before the other and the car would have a jerk to one side.
when i frist installed the rear my car would pull to the left under WOT and then it went away, im assuming that was the truecrap in there
Old 12-25-2011, 01:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well im sold, look for an order on the 1st. Also does this apply to me?

*Aftermarket cases may need to have material relieved for fitment.

I have a strange pro iron case.
Thanks! I'll check on the Strange Pro Iron Case for you. Bob

Quick Reply: Cts-v 9" truetrac SLOP!