Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Driveshaft problem pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft problem pics inside

Whats goin on guys, when i picked up my 98z28 a i noticed a weird vibration coming from the rear end, or what i thought was the rear end... long story short had it up on a lift today and noticed my driveshaft on the tranny side has some play where it connects to the transmission.. It looks like the transmission seal is broken and the driveshaft is about 2 inches out of the transmission..

Take a look at these pics and tell me what you guys think i should do.. thanks for the help

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 12-29-2011, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Was it on a 2 post lift? With the suspension unloaded it will pull the yoke out of the trans some. You really need to look at it with the suspension loaded. If you are having a vibe could you be more specific on when/how it vibrates. I would initially suggest a new tailshaft bushing (this supports the yoke and holds it tight) and a new rear seal, then verify if the u joints have been changed. This is significant because the DS weights orientate themselves and someone changing the joints could have installed the yoke 180 degrees out from where it originally mounted. Also, check the u joints for play. If they are suspect go down to your local auto parts store and get some Precision 234 non-grease-able joints and swap them in. Last step would be to have the DS balanced.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

yes the suspension was unloaded.. the vibration is only apparent under accelleration.. the U-joints on the tranny side has some noticeable play.. If i launch it hard it makes a loud clunk coming from that area.. i guess im gonna start by replacing the U-joints and seal and go from there.. thanks for the advice!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Keep the yoke and DS in alignment by marking them before removing the old joint. Precision 234 is what I use for stock driveshafts, they are about $20-25 and usually available locally. I'd replace both.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you didn't break the trans mount , that will give you clunk when you drop the hammer
Old 01-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Just got her back from smg motorsports, turns out the tailshaft bearing is gone.. anybody have any experience with replacing the tailshaft bearing??
Old 01-11-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You have to remove the extension housing (lift rear of car higher than front, remove driveshaft, unclip and loosen air filter lid (!), remove trans crossmember/mount, let trans hang down, remove torque arm bushing bracket, remove VSS connector and VSS, remove extension housing)...

with extension housing off:
remove seal, push bushing out using bushing driver, install new bushing to correct location, install new seal;

install extension housing using new case seal/ring, install VSS and connector, install torque arm bracket with new bushing, install crossmember/mount...

before installing driveshaft, replace u-joints, replace slip yoke (27 spline, 3R u-joint);

after installing driveshaft, check transmission fluid level;

If you don't unclip the air filter lid, the bellow and/or lid may tear/crack when rear of trans hangs down (front of engine tilts up).

Last edited by joecar; 01-12-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I bought a tail bushing and new rear seal on ebay for less then $10 shipped. I have not done one on an auto yet but on the M6s its very cut and dry.....however, they deform easy so I would suggest using a press, not a hammer, and the correct size adapter for removal and re-installation.