Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Anyone else experience this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone else experience this?

I had a car come in last year and they wanted a set of gears installed, well after getting the cover off and getting to the step of removing the C-Clips to get the axles out I noticed we could not push the axles in really at all. Hard as I tried (without going so far as to cause damage) I could not get the axle in to drop the C-Clip.

I ask the guy if anything was done and he said they had replaced his axle bearings because the old ones were bad, I then asked who did this, the customer explains it was his uncle and father. He then says that he remember them saying they had to get some new bearing that put the load on a different part of the axle (In my head it clicks that they used those cheap axle saver bearings) I had asked another tech he said he had run into issues where it actually pushes the axle to outside of the vehicle and almost damn impossible to remove. I then look inside the diff where the C-Clips are and on the C-Clips you can see where someone used a screwdriver (or whatever similar tool they chose) to tap the C-Clips in.

Just curious has anyone else noticed this kind of issue?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

It's a constant problem. There are many threads here on ls1tech of the same problem.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Yep, those are called axle repair bearings or simply repair bearings. Usually last 2 minutes to 1 month. The seal rests about 1/4 inch out of the axle housing, this is where your problem lies. Not that the axle has been pushed out further, just the seal so it can ride on an unworn area of the axle (same for the bearing). Ive only heard of people cutting out the C-clips; don't know how though. Sorry I cant be of more help; at least you now know what is causing the problem.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

I got sent a set in a master rebuild kit, worst things in the world...I was able to get one in far enough to get the clip on and off...the other bearing wouldn't even go into the housing

I still have a $5k bounty on the ********* of the jackass that designed those things.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Hilarious!!!! I'll pick up that contract... Lol
Old 06-12-2012, 05:36 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I had a thread a couple of weeks ago that described my full experience with pictures of the things. My throbbing ignorance may be found here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...own-gears.html
Old 06-14-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I wanted to see how many of you were just as pissed as me, I told the guy to tell his Dad and Uncle they suck and they should buy him a new rear end. I can't believe a person would use this when they would need to tap the CClip in, oh and BTW it is super hard to cut a stock axle just fyi for anyone thinking to try it.

therabidweasel I am with you maybe we should split the cost on that hahaha.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
I got sent a set in a master rebuild kit, worst things in the world...I was able to get one in far enough to get the clip on and off...the other bearing wouldn't even go into the housing

I still have a $5k bounty on the ********* of the jackass that designed those things.
Originally Posted by 2win_SS
^^^ Hilarious!!!! I'll pick up that contract... Lol
Im in!

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Yeah I wanted to see how many of you were just as pissed as me, I told the guy to tell his Dad and Uncle they suck and they should buy him a new rear end. I can't believe a person would use this when they would need to tap the CClip in, oh and BTW it is super hard to cut a stock axle just fyi for anyone thinking to try it.

I think people cut the C-Clips, not the axles. Dont quote me though.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84

hey man, and air-cutoff-wheel does the trick. I tried once using a sawzall - no dice.