Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

$1400 to rebuild 10 bolt rear end??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $1400 to rebuild 10 bolt rear end??

Well,

So one of the better drivetrain shops quoted me $1400 to rebuild/re-install my 10 bolt. (New gears, new Torsen posi, Solid Pinion Spacer, Girdle and everything else but the housing) Is this a good deal? I keep hearing people say they can get 10 bolts for $500.

Please can someone enlighten me and give me some pointers on where I could find a deal like this?

Oh and yes I know I should just upgrade to a 9' or s60 but I don't have the funds for it.

I'm also putting in a new fuel pump and koni rear shocks in with this 10 bolt fix so funds are tight. New rims, and a cam in July. I plan on taking the car to the track only once in cold weather next fall launching under 3k.

Until I can swap this new 10 bolt out for a 9' which wont be for another two years in which my car doesnt sit for two years I'm temporarily going the bitch *** 10 bolt route. (sigh)

Anyone have any info for my dilemma.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

$1400 sounds like dealership price. I had mine rebuilt under warranty about two months ago and the bill would have been $1255. Glad I didn't have to pay. I wouldn't spend that much on the 10 bolt. You can find used 12 bolts close to that price range on here every now and then. I'm debating right now on a Moser 9" or MWC 9'.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alexus6798
$1400 sounds like dealership price. I had mine rebuilt under warranty about two months ago and the bill would have been $1255. Glad I didn't have to pay. I wouldn't spend that much on the 10 bolt. You can find used 12 bolts close to that price range on here every now and then. I'm debating right now on a Moser 9" or MWC 9'.
Damn your car is still under warranty? nnice.

Well they are including the 3.73 gears too. Yeah I found a used 10 bolt on Hawks third gen for $500 but I dont know what it has on the inside. Same thing with all others. I don't want to put in a rear with some more problems that I don't know about.

Yeah I wanted a S60 or 9' too and maybe I still may go this route but now with my fuel pump going I just cant afford it.

(Plus I'm going with a double pumper for FI later down the road so its twice as much + the labor for install.)

Yeah a s60 or 9' is around $ 2500 but you got to factor in the new driveshaft, torque arm, powdercoating. In the end its $3300-$3500 + shipping. But its still worth it in my opinion for those who don't have to put a buncha other crap in the car at the same time. (AND doesn't have two cars, student loans, and spends $500 a month in gas to get to work lol)

So does anyone know where I can find 10 bolts all ready pre-assembled from used F-bods or is it pretty much going to just be on craigslist and other forums?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

I just picked up a used 10 bolt, stock Torsen, 3.42 gear, minus backing plates and brakes for $250. Like you, my 10 bolt bit the dust, and I couldn't afford the $3K on a 9". I pulled the axles, swapped brakes, brake lines, ABS, painted it up, added ARP studs, and a Girdle. I've only put about 100 miles on her since Friday (day it was done).

I would focus on finding a stock used one before rebuilding and investing $1400. You and a friend can swap it out yourselves.

I'm hoping this used rear gets me through the time period for me to save up and decide on which rear to get for track abuse. I like the helix style diffs, as opposed to the clutch/cone style, so I may keep the 10 bolt after all. I don't launch hard in it.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Raoul-Duke;16879342]Damn your car is still under warranty? nnice.

Yeah, I purchased an aftermarket warranty when I bought it last year. I think someone was selling a used 10 bolt on here yesterday or the day before. You should be able to find one in your area easily. Talk to some of your local performance shops or ask around in the Chicago area on here. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people that upgraded there and have some laying around. Hell, when I upgrade mine It will be sold for dirt cheap..
Old 11-08-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
I just picked up a used 10 bolt, stock Torsen, 3.42 gear, minus backing plates and brakes for $250. Like you, my 10 bolt bit the dust, and I couldn't afford the $3K on a 9". I pulled the axles, swapped brakes, brake lines, ABS, painted it up, added ARP studs, and a Girdle. I've only put about 100 miles on her since Friday (day it was done).

I would focus on finding a stock used one before rebuilding and investing $1400. You and a friend can swap it out yourselves.

I'm hoping this used rear gets me through the time period for me to save up and decide on which rear to get for track abuse. I like the helix style diffs, as opposed to the clutch/cone style, so I may keep the 10 bolt after all. I don't launch hard in it.
[QUOTE=alexus6798;16879373]
Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Damn your car is still under warranty? nnice.

Yeah, I purchased an aftermarket warranty when I bought it last year. I think someone was selling a used 10 bolt on here yesterday or the day before. You should be able to find one in your area easily. Talk to some of your local performance shops or ask around in the Chicago area on here. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people that upgraded there and have some laying around. Hell, when I upgrade mine It will be sold for dirt cheap..
Thanks guys, Yes I think this is the route I shall take. Cheers!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give Strange Engineering a call here in Morton Grove. Their S60 for the fbody starts at 2035 complete ready to bolt on.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BOLO
Give Strange Engineering a call here in Morton Grove. Their S60 for the fbody starts at 2035 complete ready to bolt on.
I've got that on the recent to-do list but I still think its going to be around 3k when you add the driveshaft and torque arm.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Looks like you've got quotes on brand new aftermarket rear ends...have you looked for a used one?

I just picked up a used Moser 9" for $1500 from someone going stock. We swapped driveshafts, etc.

It's worth looking into, you might find a great deal.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lowprofile
Looks like you've got quotes on brand new aftermarket rear ends...have you looked for a used one?

I just picked up a used Moser 9" for $1500 from someone going stock. We swapped driveshafts, etc.

It's worth looking into, you might find a great deal.
Where could I find a used one? I mean, is there a designated area online/place to call?? Or should I just look around forums/craigslist and see if I get lucky?

Damn you got a deal my friend. Why would anyone go from a 9' back to stock?
Old 11-09-2012, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raoul, If your rear end is still usable you can watch craigslist for a 10 bolt to come up. There's a guy in Batavia selling one on there now. If you're going to add a cam and blower in the future you're better off saving for a S60.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by guppymech
Raoul, If your rear end is still usable you can watch craigslist for a 10 bolt to come up. There's a guy in Batavia selling one on there now. If you're going to add a cam and blower in the future you're better off saving for a S60.
Damn is there, I'm going to check it out. Just in the part section?

The thing is I won't be putting the blower in until at least 2 years.

I need to save for a house lol

The cam will be my fix until that point in which I'll sell my 10 bolt and grab S60 or 9'. I only plan going to the track once after the cam just to see what the car will trap.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ go to the auto parts section. Use the search term 'Strange' and enter. You'll see the Batavia 10 bolt. FYI he's been trying to sell it for quite a while, I think it's alittle overpriced. I hope it's a good rear, I can't remember and I can't get craigslist here at work, I hope I didn't steer you wrong.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Where could I find a used one? I mean, is there a designated area online/place to call?? Or should I just look around forums/craigslist and see if I get lucky?

Damn you got a deal my friend. Why would anyone go from a 9' back to stock?
I checked national and local forums and had a bit of luck. I also didn't have a time window.

To recoup more money when selling a modded car, sometimes people go stock and sell aftermarket parts separately. In this case the seller was trying to sell a vehicle as a roller with the 9" with a price that reflected an aftermarket rear. That seemed high to buyers so he sold the 9" separately and installed a 10 bolt on the roller car and came out ahead.

Good luck
Old 11-10-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys!
Old 11-11-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys!
I would try to sell my 10bolt and upgrade to a 9" or to a 12 bolt diferential, 10 bolts sometimes arent even strong enough to hold over 400RWHP... You are better upgrading!

Quick Reply: $1400 to rebuild 10 bolt rear end??