Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How come everything i touch gets f*cked up!?HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How come everything i touch gets f*cked up!?HELP

I changed my rear diff fluid for the first time last week, drove it for the first time today...its dripping, couldnt use the torque wrench on the very bottom bolt b/c the stupid stock panhard rod is in the way so i used a box wrench, should i just torque it more or do i have to replace the new gasket i put in w/ another one and do the job all over again?? Thanks
Old 04-16-2004, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Imho, you should have thrown the gasket away and used some rtv silicone. Clean the housing and cover with brake clean or some similar product then put the rtv on the cover and install. You can try to tighten the bolts somemore but now that it's leaking I doubt that will stop it.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeffT
Imho, you should have thrown the gasket away and used some rtv silicone. Clean the housing and cover with brake clean or some similar product then put the rtv on the cover and install. You can try to tighten the bolts somemore but now that it's leaking I doubt that will stop it.
I heard from guys that used RTV said that it eventually started leaking so i used a new gasket, and i did clean the housing off, its just wet, not actually dripping, but if i do end up having to redo it can i re use the fluid or should i buy it new again?
Old 04-16-2004, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don’t need to use a torque wrench on these bolts. Use a 3/8-drive ½ inch deep socket. Tighten the bolts in a criss-cross pattern. No need to overtighten - just make them snug. A good gasket on a clean housing surface will not leak unless the rim of your cover isn't flat. If your cover's rim is not flat, then use 1/4 inch RTV.

Last edited by Gary Z; 04-16-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gary Z
You don’t need to use a torque wrench on these bolts. Use a 3/8-drive ½ inch deep socket. Tighten the bolts in a criss-cross pattern. No need to overtighten - just make them snug. A good gasket on a clean housing surface will not leak unless the rim of your cover isn't flat. If your cover's rim is not flat, then use 1/4 inch RTV.
I noticed a little wetness around the bottom bolt so i dried it up yesterday after driving the car all day today its a little wet again, why the hell is it coming through around the bolt? Is this a gasket thing too? I did clean it off, it was perfectly smooth and the cover is flat around the edges, i bought a brand new gasket from chevy dealership in town and torqued it to 25ft lbs b/c thats what i read on here from some guys. like i said though, the bottom bolt i couldnt fit the torque wrench or 1/4" drive socket wrench so i used a box wrench and hand tightened it. Can i put rtv around it for a temporary seal w/out taking the cover off? kinda like in between the cover and the diff.? Or do i have to do it all over again? Little crap like this is sooo frustrating when i mess it up.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Sorry but RTV on the outside will not fix your leak. Let it leak until you are over your frustration. Then do it over. When you get the cover off inspect the mating surfaces. You should be able to see why it is leaking. Good luck.

Last edited by Gary Z; 04-17-2004 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gary Z
Sorry but RTV on the outside will not fix your leak. Let it leak until you are over your frustration. Then do it over and it should be easy. Good luck.
Ok, will do....should i buy new fluid or can i re-use the 2 day old stuff?
Old 04-17-2004, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

If you've kept the fluid clean it is ok to reuse it.