Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

loud howling in rear

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud howling in rear

Now i have done a lot of research and looked at threads with this problem but cant seem to find the answer.

When driving and letting off of the acceleration pedal i hear a loud whirring noise as i coast. kind of like a whaaaaaaaa tone. i figured it might be the wheel bearings so i did the sharp turn test but it was silent. i checked under the car and noticed where the yoke is, there is oil all around there so i figure the seal is broken there and in turn im assuming a bearing that could be grinding. i found a new bearing and seal kit that i am pretty sure i can install myself (just to change those i wont have to worry about backlash as long as i watch where the shims are correct?). Does that sound like what could be causing that? it really reverberates within the car. Any help would be appreciated! thank you! BTW its a 99 trans am. stock everything with a new clutch,throwout bearing, pilot bearing.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have stock gears? If so your contact patch from your shims may be off. If you change anything make sure even if you put same shims in you double check backlash and contact patch.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by epg_xtony
Now i have done a lot of research and looked at threads with this problem but cant seem to find the answer.

When driving and letting off of the acceleration pedal i hear a loud whirring noise as i coast. kind of like a whaaaaaaaa tone. i figured it might be the wheel bearings so i did the sharp turn test but it was silent. i checked under the car and noticed where the yoke is, there is oil all around there so i figure the seal is broken there and in turn im assuming a bearing that could be grinding. i found a new bearing and seal kit that i am pretty sure i can install myself (just to change those i wont have to worry about backlash as long as i watch where the shims are correct?). Does that sound like what could be causing that? it really reverberates within the car. Any help would be appreciated! thank you! BTW its a 99 trans am. stock everything with a new clutch,throwout bearing, pilot bearing.

I've got the same problem 98 Camaro Z28 130k miles A4 all stock
Old 02-17-2013, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Yes its stock gears I have about 130k as well. The howling gas gotten pretty loud lately so I am thinking of a bearing kit for the diff.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah mine has only gotten louder in the last 500 miles or so. I'm putting in new axles, 3.42 gears and a Ratech deluxe installation kit for the 3.42s. And I'm gonna use Royal purple 75w90 with LSD additive.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Seems like a bearing. Bought a new bearing and seal Kit. Guy asked if I had 7 5/8 rear....everything 88+ is 7 5/8 correct? I have no tag on my diff that supposedly says it
Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

My car does that as well, it was pretty quiet though and couldnt hear it once I got exhaust... lol
Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my pinion bearing died, it howled like you would not believe.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, pinion bearing. mine howled like crazy. removed it and it was torn up bad.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Teching In

So we put it on the lift and started taking it apart. The wheel bearings were replaced also since they made a sound that resembled sand in them.(my best description). After tearing into the diff we noticed thatthe pinion nut had backed off a lot allowing the seal to flex and break as well as eat up the bearing a little. We bought a bearing and seal kit and replaced it all. The car is dead silent now and I almost feel like I keep hearing that noise even though its gone haha. Thanks for the help everyone. I just used royal purple. No additive needed from what I understand demonicz

Quick Reply: loud howling in rear