Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

2000 Tran Am rear end

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, someone changed the ring and pinion as well (probably at the same time the Auburn went in), since these cars were NEVER available from the factory (or even SLP/ASC, etc.) with3.73s.

And YES, before you do ANYTHING, try adding some stinky (but GREAT) Motorcraft XL-3 limited slip friction modifier, since the Auburn most definitely needs this.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 PM

I'll will certain add the lubricant now.

I just confirmed tonight. The car was cooled down. I backed out of the driveway, while turning, took off, stopped, turned, backed up, turned, all without a peep from the rear end. I drive for 20 minutes on highway, as I'm pulling off the highway, I hear the snap, crackle, pop. It's sounds like the garbage disposal.

Could it be???
Old 04-09-2013, 07:59 PM

LADIES, GENTLEMEN, KIDS OF ALL AGES!!!! LET THIS BE KNOWN ALL AROUND!!!

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT, ASSUME THAT THE DEALERSHIP, NOR THE FULL SERVICE SHOP HAS ADDED POSI LUBRICANT TO YOUR REAR END!

Ok, so, I had an old bottle of AC Delco 10-4003 (probably from 1998). I added 70% of the bottle to the rear end. the other 30% landed on the ground.

Guess what,,,,, quiet as a mouse...............WTF!!

Drove it for 30-45 minutes around the neighborhood. backed up, turned, did tight donuts (slowly), turned in reverse. Not a pop, no squeals, no noises whatsoever.

Mystery is solved!

Thanks for everyone's help on this, I truly appreciate it. Hopefully this will help out someone else in the future.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mthake
LADIES, GENTLEMEN, KIDS OF ALL AGES!!!! LET THIS BE KNOWN ALL AROUND!!!

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT, ASSUME THAT THE DEALERSHIP, NOR THE FULL SERVICE SHOP HAS ADDED POSI LUBRICANT TO YOUR REAR END!

Ok, so, I had an old bottle of AC Delco 10-4003 (probably from 1998). I added 70% of the bottle to the rear end. the other 30% landed on the ground.

Guess what,,,,, quiet as a mouse...............WTF!!

Drove it for 30-45 minutes around the neighborhood. backed up, turned, did tight donuts (slowly), turned in reverse. Not a pop, no squeals, no noises whatsoever.

Mystery is solved!

Thanks for everyone's help on this, I truly appreciate it. Hopefully this will help out someone else in the future.
COOL!

Part of the problem is that they (the dealer/shop) assumed you had the stock T-1 Torsen diff in the axle, which technically does not need a friction modifier, although there was a TSB to add the limited slip fluid to those as well (for noise, 'rocks in a box' coast down sound)

Quick Reply: 2000 Tran Am rear end