Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

MWC is not what i thought..

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have since spoken with eric and hopefully my issue has been resolved. FYI Shane no longer is employed by mwc.

Last edited by ws6_z28; 06-12-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill throw in with my experience. My order went 4-5 weeks beyonds what was stated, but youve got to throw in some Kentucky windage when dealing with hand built stuff and MWC in particular. There was an issue with stolen mail that got my $5k plus check. Eric called me at 7am his time on Saturday to let me know I needed to watch my accounts etc. Thats immediate notification and I appreciated it.

Even though not his fault/issue I got my axles and other parts without delay while the new check was in the mail. When he was almost ready to ship my unit I called him at 3 in the afternoon and let him know that even a 1 additional day slip would cost me weeks due to travel. He busted his butt and got it on the truck that day and expedited the freight without asking for anything extra. A nice gesture I appreciated.

My experience was not perfect and he probably cant do everything he did for me for everyone. But my stuff is a work of art, installed effortlesly (except tcs...still trying) and im extremely happy.

Bottom line, these are hand built, bulletproof pieces of art, customized for everyone. If you require a stamped out OE replacement with parts store convenience go elsewhere. If you want custom, crap occurs, things happen, you should count on delays and issues. You cant even get cable installed on a guaranteed schedule and sometimes your going to have a very inconvenient out of the box failure even on expensive custom parts. Sorry, thats the game, sometimes it sucks.

That said, some of the above is unacceptable. Im sure Eric will work with you if you are persistent but reasonable and I wish you the best. Just wanted to g I ve Eric some credit for making my situation the best it could reasonably be.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by champain
How can you confirm there is nothing wrong with my setup? Yes you gave me the option of a new gear set and other parts all at my expense. Even when I only had it for a month. And then your buddy says I will give you a smokin deal on a set of gears for 250 when that is the going price, thats no deal.

I can confirm the gear was setup properly by the wear pattern and other indicators from your pics... remember I set up 100s of them every year myself. And you trying to claim there are bad bearings in the S-Trac won't work either(for the lifetime warranty on that particular part)... There are no bearings in a S-trac unit

Your option for the new gear was given to you the same as any other potential warranty in this situation where you want the replacement parts asap. The return/warranty process can take some time so this is the best way to get it done quickly. You purchase the gear and whatever other parts maybe needed. We have the gear sent into the manufacturer for inspection, and when they make the determination of the cause then we refund you the cost of the gear if they find quality issues.

There is a time limit on this stuff just like anything else, and they don't care if you don't have the time, or no place to work on it, or "getting married", or whatever. The return/warranty policy with us and these manufacturers was clearly stated and that is that. You were given the instructions on exactly what to do right from the beginning.

And 250 shipped(to Canada remember) for the gear and other parts to make the change is a real good deal... the gear by itself is on the Yukon site for 251.92.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ssvert99
I can confirm the gear was setup properly by the wear pattern and other indicators from your pics... remember I set up 100s of them every year myself. And you trying to claim there are bad bearings in the S-Trac won't work either(for the lifetime warranty on that particular part)... There are no bearings in a S-trac unit

Your option for the new gear was given to you the same as any other potential warranty in this situation where you want the replacement parts asap. The return/warranty process can take some time so this is the best way to get it done quickly. You purchase the gear and whatever other parts maybe needed. We have the gear sent into the manufacturer for inspection, and when they make the determination of the cause then we refund you the cost of the gear if they find quality issues.

There is a time limit on this stuff just like anything else, and they don't care if you don't have the time, or no place to work on it, or "getting married", or whatever. The return/warranty policy with us and these manufacturers was clearly stated and that is that. You were given the instructions on exactly what to do right from the beginning.

And 250 shipped(to Canada remember) for the gear and other parts to make the change is a real good deal... the gear by itself is on the Yukon site for 251.92.
Who am I to claim that a bearing is bad. The tech said there is definitely something else wrong then just a noisy gear set and said it could be a bearing but he has to open it to check. That is why I called to ask you but you never got back to me. When I spoke to Strange and Shane at your shop I explained that to them. Neither of them told me there are no bearings in the centre section. Once again had you returned my calls (still waiting btw) maybe I could have got a better answer. Maybe a call would be nice so I can go over options like what other possibilities could be causing the noise instead of wasting money on a gear set and still have the same issue, since your saying the gear set shows proper wear. And it is no one’s business why I took long to get the job done after I parked it. He asked a question I gave him an answer. At least I answer when someone asks me a question. I got it done 1 month before the first year was up and you ignored me since then that’s your problem not mine. I’m not stupid I know the year is up but maybe had you answered me then we could have taken care of it. Instead now you answer me and say it’s out of warranty. And your 250 price on a set was not shipped to Canada. It was I send the rear to you at my cost + 250 for a gear set + labour + shipping back to me. You tell me does that sound like a deal to you when it was within the year? That’s why I gave your buddy other suggestions and he said you would call me.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6_z28
FYI Shane no longer is employed by mwc.

I think everyone will agree that's good news....for me he is the one that wouldn't return calls. Eric did send me a PM also asking if I had any questions.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
Ill throw in with my experience. My order went 4-5 weeks beyonds what was stated, but youve got to throw in some Kentucky windage when dealing with hand built stuff and MWC in particular. There was an issue with stolen mail that got my $5k plus check. Eric called me at 7am his time on Saturday to let me know I needed to watch my accounts etc. Thats immediate notification and I appreciated it.

Even though not his fault/issue I got my axles and other parts without delay while the new check was in the mail. When he was almost ready to ship my unit I called him at 3 in the afternoon and let him know that even a 1 additional day slip would cost me weeks due to travel. He busted his butt and got it on the truck that day and expedited the freight without asking for anything extra. A nice gesture I appreciated.

My experience was not perfect and he probably cant do everything he did for me for everyone. But my stuff is a work of art, installed effortlesly (except tcs...still trying) and im extremely happy.

Bottom line, these are hand built, bulletproof pieces of art, customized for everyone. If you require a stamped out OE replacement with parts store convenience go elsewhere. If you want custom, crap occurs, things happen, you should count on delays and issues. You cant even get cable installed on a guaranteed schedule and sometimes your going to have a very inconvenient out of the box failure even on expensive custom parts. Sorry, thats the game, sometimes it sucks.

That said, some of the above is unacceptable. Im sure Eric will work with you if you are persistent but reasonable and I wish you the best. Just wanted to g I ve Eric some credit for making my situation the best it could reasonably be.
Couldn't agree more...

If you want some heavy stamped out garbage that weighs only a few pounds lighter then your stock unit and cost alot of coin i suggest going with some of the big vendors..

I just got there first ever lt1 front end kit and alot of other stuff, and had to wait because of some mishaps with them moving which consumed a pile of there time and really put Eric behind schedule but honestly i couldn't be any happier with the product.. It's extremely reasonably priced, weighs light as a feather, and overall just looks killer. I'm sure once Eric gets caught up on his orders that were a little behind schedule because of the move, he will get things out the door much faster.

You do have to remember there's a reason that the fastest f body cars run his stuff, at the end of the day its bad *** ****

Eric was always straight up and returned call, the other guy not so much lol... to the op, you may have something wrong in your center section, you may not, waiting a year to resolve the issue isn't the right thing to do whatever the circumstances are... After a year no one in the right mind is going to want to replace your stuff wether it has a 100 7sec passes or it's just sat and collected dust... I doubt theres anything wrong with your set up, just used to your quiet 10 bolt and when you put a 9" in your not used to a little noise lol

Last edited by BIGsmokey10; 06-12-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 00MaroonZ28
Something is better than nothing. Hope the issue gets resolved. MWC does have good quality products and it's rare to see an issue like this come out of their shop.
This^^
Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BIGsmokey10
I doubt theres anything wrong with your set up, just used to your quiet 10 bolt and when you put a 9" in your not used to a little noise lol
If you would like a video I would gladly send it. My suggestions are exactly that only suggestions. I’m not committed to anything but getting my issue fixed. If he would take the time to contact me back it would be a great start instead of this teenager conversation over a thread. Since I have decided to fix the issue locally maybe he could answer some questions at the very least. Seems everyone else is getting PMs…
Old 06-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Teching In

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...Lsoeh5Ocqgklbs

sound perfectly fine to you?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I do know Shane is no longer a part of MWC , which I think was the right move. I am not going to lie I did have my differences with MWC as well. They make excellent quality parts but at times customer service does lack at times (from my experiences). I hope that with the new shop move and back to making parts that their lead times will go down and their customer service will go up.

All in all Eric has stepped up to take care of me in way shape or form when it comes down to the bottom line.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transam69230
I do know Shane is no longer a part of MWC , which I think was the right move. I am not going to lie I did have my differences with MWC as well. They make excellent quality parts but at times customer service does lack at times (from my experiences). I hope that with the new shop move and back to making parts that their lead times will go down and their customer service will go up.

All in all Eric has stepped up to take care of me in way shape or form when it comes down to the bottom line.
x2 on getting rid of Shane, He never knew what I was asking him on the phone and I always had to ask for Eric when he was busy in the shop. Every shop has their hiccups though. I'm sure with this new shop they'll pick up a lot more.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

ah idk my 9" sounds just like it... have you checked any other things like pinion angle, etc? if something in that rear end was set up improperly it would more then likely have a few metal shavings coming out the drain plug due to a improper set up... I can't confirm whether your have a properly set up rear end or not, but just because your 9'' makes a little noise i wouldn't be to concerned.. Hell my POS 9" makes that much noise as yours and i'm not concerned one bit.. When you get into something aftermarket that holds up to guy's like Ray Litz, Brian Black cars, etc (even though they may have a few different things going on in there rears)... How do you not realize it may make a little noise? Plain and simple Eric has no plans on putting a bad product out there, he may make a mistake, at the end of the day everyone is human but you realize waiting an eternity to fix a problem that you may of had isn't the most logical way of doing things? Hope you get your **** figured out, but i doubt it's on Eric's end of the deal, more then likely yours
Old 06-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Launching!

I have been considering buying a MWC rear, reading this doesnt really help push me to do it lol.

However I really wanted to say, I think its sad blaming an employee for the majority of the issues going on.

Who hired him again? Who is supposed to be running and in charge of the business? I have worked in shops where the owner is lazy and hires people without much thought, then blames the idiot he hires, fires them and does it again.

To each their own but a bad employee should reflect more on the company and not that particular guy.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Just to chime in with my experiences, as I am in a similar situation. I have a fab9 that I got in January, got done with the 500 mile break in, and suddenly I had really loud gear noise, almost exactly the same as what shown in the video by Champain. I have Yukon 3.89 gears (was an upgrade, and motive was out of stock at the time for this ratio), and I was told something similar about the gear wear pattern being correct. Eric told me that the ring gear appeared to have worn out for whatever reason, and that the gears would need to be replaced. I'm of the opinion that was was a bad batch of gears from Yukon in terms of proper heat treating for hardness or something along those lines after seeing another post. In my case, it was only the drive side that made noise, coast was as quiet as it was when I first installed the rear. The gears were quiet with a tiny bit of noise at 40, then again at 60, but still quieter than my 10 bolt was.

While frustrating, I don't blame MWC, as they didn't manufacture the gear themselves. They are a small company and have went well out of their way to give me all kinds of advice and input on getting the matter resolved. I'm buying new gears, and I'm shipping my center section back for them to inspect and reassemble. Maybe I should get a different brand of gear than Yukon this time? Either way, if I get a refund for the gears, great, if not, that's life I guess.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

this makes me think if there's a quieter rear end....

seriously thats so annoying.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

With regards to gear noise, anyone who has a chassis mounted torque arm (either short or relo crossmember) you are gonna hear lots more going on in the rear end then a stock arm. For NVH I think it's been one of my worst mods. Something to keep in mind.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:48 AM
TECH Regular

Without re-reading it all did you break it in properly and what gear oil did you use?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:18 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

My experience with MWC last week. Sent an email, Eric called me back and gave me all the information I needed. I ordered my bumper support and 2 days later I received it. Bolted it right up with no problems. Thanks Eric.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jetaws6
Without re-reading it all did you break it in properly and what gear oil did you use?
yea break in was done according to instructions and oil was 80w90 as per instructions. made noise straight out of the gate. Got louder with time
Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Good for you. Nice one sided story you got here smartass.

You need me to copy the emails I sent out to customers last weekend from the hotel room at 1 and 2am...15 hours away from my shop? That's what I thought.
Wow, that's keeping it classy. Just answered any questions I had about the company.

Quick Reply: MWC is not what i thought..