Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Clicking Sound coming from the Back. HELP Please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clicking Sound coming from the Back. HELP Please.

There is a clicking sound that comes from the back of the car whenever i turn 90 degrees or more to the left ONLY which is strange. Im suspecting its the rear end, but the rear end sounds smooth when im driving in a straight line or turning right. So what could be the problem?

By the way i did check everything under the car and everything looked in place and tight. So its not an Exhaust, or suspension components. I did find something intresting though.... When i made one guy move the tires to the front and i moved to the tires to the back and they did move a little until the diff lock closed again. I'm not sure if that means i need a new diff lock?
Old 05-08-2004, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your diff is on its way out. be nice to it untill you can find a replacement
Old 05-09-2004, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

So u think its the whole diff or just the lock? I just dont feel like spending another 2K on a rear end because i just bought the SC.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:26 PM
10 Second Club

I thought I saw a TSB for axle clicking from the rear... Anyone have any details about that? I have a slight click at just off-idle speeds in our A4 SS that sounds like a transmission or axle click in the rear... No change on turns just at slow off-idle speeds like when we are caught in traffic...

I really have not been too worried about it just curious...
Old 05-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Do a search on the Zexel-Torsen rear. Or on marbles or rocks in can or box. (The sound gets worse and more exotic with time). You'll find ample discussions of this problem. Bottom line is that while it's not good, it doesn't mean your rear end is going to go to pieces tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Default really

if any one can really help on this issue please let us know, my 98 has the same issue.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Azrael
I thought I saw a TSB for axle clicking from the rear... Anyone have any details about that? I have a slight click at just off-idle speeds in our A4 SS that sounds like a transmission or axle click in the rear... No change on turns just at slow off-idle speeds like when we are caught in traffic...

I really have not been too worried about it just curious...

I think I have seen one(TSB) that was talking about people complaining about the aluminum drive shaft making noise..............if I have to listen to mine much longer theres gonna be a steel one in there, and use the aluminum one for a mailbox post.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your whole rear end isn't going out. just your differential. they used to be just 100 bux from SLP but i don't think they sell them anymore.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KimberWS6
I think I have seen one(TSB) that was talking about people complaining about the aluminum drive shaft making noise..............if I have to listen to mine much longer theres gonna be a steel one in there, and use the aluminum one for a mailbox post.

This is what happend to my DS on a 5500 RPM lanuch using Mcleod Clutch http://www.msnusers.com/CarsRelatedG...oto&PhotoID=12
http://www.msnusers.com/CarsRelatedG...oto&PhotoID=13
http://www.msnusers.com/CarsRelatedG...oto&PhotoID=14
http://www.msnusers.com/CarsRelatedG...oto&PhotoID=15

I have a poly steel DS now.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Launching!

That looks like that hurt ........Hmmm got a friend with a 99 V-6 camaro(steel shaft), we were talking about swapping them.....he wants the aluminum one.