Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

8.8 and 4ch ABS

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 8.8 and 4ch ABS

Alright, so maybe this is a bit of a redundant question but I am trying to get caught up here.

Background info:

I just bought a 2002 LS1 Camaro and I am in the process of swapping over performance parts from my old 96 3.8L Camaro that fit the 02'

Well one of those parts is my ford 8.8 rear end- when this was in my 96 I had deleted ABS, BUT, since my new 02' has ABS/TC and it is 4channel, I am thinking it should be much easier to swap this rear end in while keeping the ABS functional this time

So, few questions:

1) How exactly does the 4ch ABS setup work? I know you have a sensor on each mounting plate for the axles (I believe I have 4channel axle plates already on the 8.8 ) but how does the sensor that goes in the mounting plate work as far as ABS/TC is concerned?

2) I am going to go out on a limb and try and answer #1 by saying there might be a reluctor ring on the axles? If this is the case, is there something available to be used with 31 spline Moser axles?

3) How exactly do these sensors mount to the mounting plate? (pictures would be awesome- I know this is a dumb question, but the car is in storage and I am trying to visualize this right now)

I'll start with those questions, because the answers to those will dictate my next ones lol

Thanks to anyone who answers in advance!

Last edited by LETZRIDE; 12-25-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

*****You need to contact Moser****** to see if the axles you currently have can accept the reluctor rings..

If you have 4 ch.ABS on the '02 look on the back side of the backing plate and you will see the sensor bolted to the plate with the magnet protruding through the front. Hopefully you have this set up since it will make it 100X easier to complete the job.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
*****You need to contact Moser****** to see if the axles you currently have can accept the reluctor rings..

If you have 4 ch.ABS on the '02 look on the back side of the backing plate and you will see the sensor bolted to the plate with the magnet protruding through the front. Hopefully you have this set up since it will make it 100X easier to complete the job.
so as long as I have the axles that accept the reluctor ring, I just press that onto the axle and I am good to go?

But wouldn't the 31 spline axle be thicker than the regular 26/28 spline axles from the F-body thereby not allowing the ring to slip onto the shaft? or is the difference with axles really just in the spline count for strength?
Old 12-26-2013, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would contact Moser they made your axles
Old 02-28-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

So I ordered the rings from moser along with new bearings and seals - so my next question is, are the mounting plates for the brakes different from 93-97 and 98-02?

I want to drop the rear end off at the shop so they can swap my 3.73's in, and I am going to have them press on the new abs rings onto the axles...but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by having them put the wrong mounting plates back on.

I'd inspect the ones currently on my car if I could, but I can't, so that is why I am asking...
Old 02-28-2014, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Not to jack your thread or be a D.... just seems crazy that you had an 8.8 built for your v6 car. I see that it ran really good for 6er. Did you blow the 10 bolt out of that thing? If so kudos to you sir.

Edit - just clicked your build link. Looks like you've got a lot of goodies already for the new ls1 car. You sure you want to ditch those 4.11's though?
Old 02-28-2014, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Not to jack your thread or be a D.... just seems crazy that you had an 8.8 built for your v6 car. I see that it ran really good for 6er. Did you blow the 10 bolt out of that thing? If so kudos to you sir.

Edit - just clicked your build link. Looks like you've got a lot of goodies already for the new ls1 car. You sure you want to ditch those 4.11's though?
I blew out a zexel torsen and replaced it with the Eaton unit which supposedly had forged internals...literally a week after the 1 year warranty was up the Eaton let go and Lost my axle out the side of the car when I got off an off ramp lol. I pulled the unit and the clutch disks were smoother than a baby's bottom, the spider gears on the sides had chunked teeth, and the casing on either side had actually began to have metal chew through them (which is why the C-clips came out and got munched to)

I didn't think the v6 needed a built rear end, but I sure as hell wasn't paying to redo the 10-bolt a 3rd time...learned my lesson lol!

And yes, I hate the 4.10s- I loved my 3.90s that I had when I had the 10 bolt though, just those few extra rpms irritate me at highway speeds, and this is coming from a guy who daily drove the v6 with a dumped exhaust on a H/C car, 3200 stall and quite a bit of weight reduction that saw the car at 32xx without me in it
Old 02-28-2014, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

Also not too many goodies for the LS1 car...those were all parts for the v6 lol!

I only have a lid and corsa exhaust for the ls1 right now...picking up a 4,000 stall shortly and swapping in what I can from the v6 - so ford 8.8, qa1 and all other suspension parts.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, was referring to the suspension parts.

Quick Reply: 8.8 and 4ch ABS