Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Making a rear, advice and guidance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Making a rear, advice and guidance.

Hello LS1Tech,

My 2002 m6 Camaro is in desperate need of a new rear. (and drive shaft, suspension, and whatnot) Originally I was just going to shell out the cash, and buy a pre-made ready to bolt in Dana S60 or Moser fab 9, however one of my buddies has enlightened me to the idea of building the housing myself.
I was thinking about trying to find a dana s60 from a junkyard and shaving all of the perches off of that. Then i want to narrow the rear 2" per side, and im assuming i should be able to use my disc brakes and backing plates, and all my perches to be put onto this rear. Now i do understand it is somewhat tricky to get the geometry perfect. My buddy has done a couple of them and hes pretty confident that we could do it.
Once the rear is able to be bolted in, id just need to buy a center section, and some axles.

I want input and feedback from people who have done this or have been apart of doing this. Tricks that will help get it right, recommondations on what center section and axles. Im also planning on running strange coil overs if that would make a difference.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2014, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPin1094
Hello LS1Tech,

My 2002 m6 Camaro is in desperate need of a new rear. (and drive shaft, suspension, and whatnot) Originally I was just going to shell out the cash, and buy a pre-made ready to bolt in Dana S60 or Moser fab 9, however one of my buddies has enlightened me to the idea of building the housing myself.
I was thinking about trying to find a dana s60 from a junkyard and shaving all of the perches off of that. Then i want to narrow the rear 2" per side, and im assuming i should be able to use my disc brakes and backing plates, and all my perches to be put onto this rear. Now i do understand it is somewhat tricky to get the geometry perfect. My buddy has done a couple of them and hes pretty confident that we could do it.
Once the rear is able to be bolted in, id just need to buy a center section, and some axles.

I want input and feedback from people who have done this or have been apart of doing this. Tricks that will help get it right, recommondations on what center section and axles. Im also planning on running strange coil overs if that would make a difference.

Thanks
I have a moser 9"
Old 01-05-2014, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There are a lot of problems you can run into making your own rear. You mentioned geometry, that is very critical the other is keeping everything square and true. Also you need to insure the tubes don't warp due to the welding.

You need to have the proper jigs and bracket to make everything work.

Yes it can be done but it might cost less in the long to purchase a rear.

Also don't overlook the 12 bolt. It will work great for most of the people out there and it has less parasitic loss than the 9 inch. Its bad point is the c-clips but you can order them with retainer plate housing ends (like the 9 inch uses) and that problem is taken care of.

My race car uses a 9 inch my street car will most likely have a 12 bolt.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:53 AM
12 Second Club

If you're looking to do a build it yourself rear check out the threads on the 8.8 ford rear ends. I think there's a guy (Hiltsy?) that has worked out the torque arm mount issue.
Starting with a rusty truck Dana 60 you'll need new axle ends to mount your brakes, then a new posi unit ect. A mopar clutch type posi won't work for long at your power level and a Strange S-Trac costs like $700 by itself. I think you ought to reconsider purchasing a S60 outright, Strange builds a fantastic rearend. You won't regret spending the money on one especially with a M6.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It seems that you guys advocate shelling out the coin to make sure it is perfectly done. Which is what i was originally going to go with, but as im sure we all know, money effects everything.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KingPin1094
It seems that you guys advocate shelling out the coin to make sure it is perfectly done. Which is what i was originally going to go with, but as im sure we all know, money effects everything.
Well yes. When it comes to your rear you want it as close to perfect as you can get. It will effect the longevity of your rear components, ride, handling, how the car launches and stops.

As for the money if you look at the components that you must purchase you will most likely end up spending about the same amount and have an inferior rear.

In the long run its your choice. Remember you did ask for input.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Ford 8.8 build is popular. Either way, you aren't going to get around doing it right, as all of them need to be adjusted in length to my knowledge, and that's a critical change that must be done right. A 9 inch axle (x2) and complete housing package from Moser is around $1k, that's a hell of a deal and all you need is a center section and you're rolling. Something to think about.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss performance
Well yes. When it comes to your rear you want it as close to perfect as you can get. It will effect the longevity of your rear components, ride, handling, how the car launches and stops.

As for the money if you look at the components that you must purchase you will most likely end up spending about the same amount and have an inferior rear.

In the long run its your choice. Remember you did ask for input.
Yea I think I might go back to my original idea of the Moser Fab 9 since i have a friend who can get me a discount on one. I was just trying to save some money so i can get more done sooner.

Quick Reply: Making a rear, advice and guidance.