Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Diagnosing Noises in Rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Diagnosing Noises in Rear

I have two noises I'm trying to figure out. The first is a kinda "wahwahwah" noise that seems to be coming from the drivers side rear. Thought I had fixed it when I found one of my tires (directional) was installed backward. Still have the same noise still. Starts at about 45mph and gets louder from there. The second is a ticking/clunking when I turn left and usually only when not under load. Seems to be coming from the right rear. Any help would be awesome!
Old 01-24-2014, 12:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first is likely a bearing or axle thats slightly pitted. Depends on the diff you have for the second as Auburn diffs kinda have a rep for clunking. Might also be slack between diff and axle splines working back and fourth.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I concur, if the "wahhwahh" sound is constant when the car is in motion and gets louder/quicker while speed increases it is probably a bent axle or bearing is shot.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Wouldn't you be able to tell if it was a bad bearing at low speeds or even by grabbing the tire and shaking? I have had two mechanics check it out and neither thought it was a bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 01-24-2014, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

It is a stock rearend. The clicking/clunking noise has seemed to get a little worse.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jlm_photo
Wouldn't you be able to tell if it was a bad bearing at low speeds or even by grabbing the tire and shaking? I have had two mechanics check it out and neither thought it was a bearing.

Its prob the bent axle man, I had the same sound that was driving me nuts for almost 1 year. In the end, turned out to be the axle. Stock axles are weak as hell in these 10 bolts.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info. I'll replace it right after I replace my steering rack.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I had this problem I maybe had 20,000 miles on a stock car that never saw the track. After months of trying to figure it out, it ended up being that my axles were pitted. Never figured out if it was because the car sat for 3 years with only 300 miles on it or something else. The other sound was because when the mechanic did the axles the dust shields on one of the axle's got bent causing it to scrape when the tire rolled. I did alot of searching on here and even contacted a couple guys trying to see if their problem got fixed. Two new moser axle's and 25,000 miles later all is good.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
When I had this problem I maybe had 20,000 miles on a stock car that never saw the track. After months of trying to figure it out, it ended up being that my axles were pitted. Never figured out if it was because the car sat for 3 years with only 300 miles on it or something else. The other sound was because when the mechanic did the axles the dust shields on one of the axle's got bent causing it to scrape when the tire rolled. I did alot of searching on here and even contacted a couple guys trying to see if their problem got fixed. Two new moser axle's and 25,000 miles later all is good.
This is explaining a lot or me. My car say for nearly a year before I bought it 5 months ago. How much do moser axels run? And what Is the best place to get them?

Old 01-27-2014, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

At the time, I trusted my mechanic to get them. If I had to do it myself, I would look at the sponsors on here and just compare the prices with freight. Do a search using the word Moser axle's and I'm sure you will find some good info. You might even find axle's better than them. I didn't want used so I had him get them. Don't know the price off the top of my head.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Dorman makes a axle repair kit for our cars. Includes new axle, axle bearing and seal.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

I checked Moser and they sell 2 axles plus bearings, seals and studs. Gonna run about $350 for everything. I guess if I'm gonna go...might as well go big right?

Old 02-02-2014, 08:20 AM

Any vibration? Check the components inside the spindle
Old 02-02-2014, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jlm_photo
I checked Moser and they sell 2 axles plus bearings, seals and studs. Gonna run about $350 for everything. I guess if I'm gonna go...might as well go big right?

I would still spend a day doing a search on tech and read the threads about the guys that had similar sounds and it was NOT the axle's. It's been a few years for me but nobody had the sound I had. They were different. There were other problems that were NOT the axle's.
My problem was I listened to music sort of loud at the beginning, and never could pin a time when it started. But I knew after the LM1 got installed, I listened to the car sound more and that's when I detected it. I compared to dirt roads, paved roads, different speeds. Mine started above 35 and was heard on all types of roads. Some called it the hellicopter sound.
I would never cut corners on replacing things, but some do, and some have no choice because of funds, and college. I hate to do things twice. But search is your friend.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by alex_lavier
Any vibration? Check the components inside the spindle
No vibration. Rides smooth.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

I would still spend a day doing a search on tech and read the threads about the guys that had similar sounds and it was NOT the axle's. It's been a few years for me but nobody had the sound I had. They were different. There were other problems that were NOT the axle's.
My problem was I listened to music sort of loud at the beginning, and never could pin a time when it started. But I knew after the LM1 got installed, I listened to the car sound more and that's when I detected it. I compared to dirt roads, paved roads, different speeds. Mine started above 35 and was heard on all types of roads. Some called it the hellicopter sound.
I would never cut corners on replacing things, but some do, and some have no choice because of funds, and college. I hate to do things twice. But search is your friend.
I've searched till I'm blue in the face. Mine starts at about 40 then gets more constant as the speed goes up. Almost sounds like a bad tire...but the ride is perfect and I've rotated the tires. A friend of mine who is an excellent mechanic cannot track it down. I took it to another mechanic and he could not track it down. I'm literally at my whits end. The clicking noise I have is only in right turns. We changed the gear oil in the rear and everything looked fine.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not a mechanic, but have done most of the work on my car except, gears, tune. I pulled the axle's and put new seals on. So If I knew then what I know now, I would pull my axle's myself and see if they are pitted. I would install new seals while I have them out. Yea I searched alot also but it's the best way to know all options. At the time my car was a Daily driver, so had to use the mechanic alot. Hopefully yours can be parked while you work on it as you can.
Yes mine got louder the faster I went also. I have a picture of my axle's in my Fquick pictures.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not a mechanic, but have done most of the work on my car except, gears, tune. I pulled the axle's and put new seals on. So If I knew then what I know now, I would pull my axle's myself and see if they are pitted. I would install new seals while I have them out. Yea I searched alot also but it's the best way to know all options. At the time my car was a Daily driver, so had to use the mechanic alot. Hopefully yours can be parked while you work on it as you can. Yes mine got louder the faster I went also. I have a picture of my axle's in my Fquick pictures.
yeah mine is a daily. I'm at a loss right now. Where did you say the pics are? BTW...sweet ride!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Under my car picture, look in My FQuick page. When you click on the car it has alot of pictures. Click on the picture of my car on a dyno that says New Gears, axle's, and bearings 8 pictures. Thanks man!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Under my car picture, look in My FQuick page. When you click on the car it has alot of pictures. Click on the picture of my car on a dyno that says New Gears, axle's, and bearings 8 pictures. Thanks man!
I finally found it. Pic was kinda small but I still got the jest of it. Thanks for the info. Sounds like you were having the same noise as I'm having. The reason it sounds so familiar is I think my car sat for nearly a year before the po traded it into a dealer. I have all the service records and there is a big gap (in months...not miles) between the last service. Is your's pretty quiet now?

Quick Reply: Diagnosing Noises in Rear