Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Best 60 Foot on Stock 7.5"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1.593 60ft. Edge 4000+ converter . Stock 3.23 rear . Drag radial. Full weight car 50+ passes .
Old 10-21-2014, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy1987
1.593 60ft. Edge 4000+ converter . Stock 3.23 rear . Drag radial. Full weight car 50+ passes .
Thanks, added!
Old 10-22-2014, 07:32 AM
TECH Regular

It's too bad we can't see what was the worst 60' time when breaking a 10 bolt.. that could show how futile this thread may be.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VincesSS
It's too bad we can't see what was the worst 60' time when breaking a 10 bolt.. that could show how futile this thread may be.
Go to post 1.

The 7.5" is weak in comparison to just about any other rear axle anyone has made for a V-8 RWD car. But, it's strength is greater than people here and other places lead on to believe. Probably why GM used it.

In my honest opinion, based on the data gathered here and else where, the 7.5" axle is more likely to break from wheel hop or improper care than a hard launch. Yes, hard acceleration can (and does) break axles, the 7.5" is more susceptible than the larger axles. But, their leading cause of breakage is likely a cause of something else with or without a combination of the hard acceleration.

The Girdle is invaluable. It really does help a lot. Looking at the list compiled on post 1 shows that none have broken with the Girdle on. And some of these cars are doing decent 60 foots at full weight. Adding the brace tubing only improves further on that.

Running consistent 10's or faster (is possible, it's been done) is not recommended with a 7.5". But 11's certainly isn't impossible, if reasonable. And for 95% of us (enthusiasts) we don't run much faster than 11's with our 400rwhp or less. Mostly on street tires too.

My take away? Girdle, good maintenance, proper suspension geometry, and brace tubes will add a significant amount of strength and life to the axle assembly. But overall it's still limited by the small ring and pinion.

Last edited by hrcslam; 10-22-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Go to post 1.

The 7.5" is weak in comparison to just about any other rear axle anyone has made for a V-8 RWD car. But, it's strength is greater than people here and other places lead on to believe. Probably why GM used it.

In my honest opinion, based on the data gathered here and else where, the 7.5" axle is more likely to break from wheel hop or improper care than a hard launch. Yes, hard acceleration can (and does) break axles, the 7.5" is more susceptible than the larger axles. But, their leading cause of breakage is likely a cause of something else with or without a combination of the hard acceleration.

The Girdle is invaluable. It really does help a lot. Looking at the list compiled on post 1 shows that none have broken with the Girdle on. And some of these cars are doing decent 60 foots at full weight. Adding the brace tubing only improves further on that.

Running consistent 10's or faster (is possible, it's been done) is not recommended with a 7.5". But 11's certainly isn't impossible, if reasonable. And for 95% of us (enthusiasts) we don't run much faster than 11's with our 400rwhp or less. Mostly on street tires too.

My take away? Girdle, good maintenance, proper suspension geometry, and brace tubes will add a significant amount of strength and life to the axle assembly. But overall it's still limited by the small ring and pinion.
well said , only thing missing is auto's are way more likely to survive a while being tortured , M6's seem to be ticking time bombs by the time your flirting with cracking 11's and or 1.7 or better 60 foots
Old 10-22-2014, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by murphinator
well said , only thing missing is auto's are way more likely to survive a while being tortured , M6's seem to be ticking time bombs by the time your flirting with cracking 11's and or 1.7 or better 60 foots
Agreed. I will say that no one that used a girdle, A4 or M6, reported any problems with the 7.5".
Old 10-23-2014, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

Agreed. I will say that no one that used a girdle, A4 or M6, reported any problems with the 7.5".
True. Maybe a girdle is worth it. If it allows your rear to go down to 1.7 or 1.6s 60 ft's safetly, it's money well spent.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Id like to add my experience with the 10 bolt. I have a 2002 M6 Trans Am that puts down 450whp and 415wtq NA. Daily drive on 555r drag radials.

My best 60' on drag radials is 1.84 with a very conservative 4k launch... I have the following mods done to the factory 10 bolt:

3.90 orange box Motive gears
Studded bearing caps
solid pinion spacer
Moser Axles
Girdle Cover
185w oil
Stock Torsen Posi

I recently broke the posi during some testing on a local road with tons of rubber from local street racing. I broke the worm gears and the car would make a loud clunk every time I would turn, but would drive fine. Replaced it with another Torsen and will test it out at the track on November 8th. Overall it has served me well with the upgrades I have done... Really wonder how much stronger it would be if I upgraded to an Eaton posi.

Last edited by 455GTO; 10-23-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 455GTO
Id like to add my experience with the 10 bolt. I have a 2002 M6 Trans Am that puts down 450whp and 415wtq NA. Daily drive on 555r drag radials.

My best 60' on drag radials is 1.84 with a very conservative 4k launch... I have the following mods done to the factory 10 bolt:

Studded bearing caps
solid pinion spacer
Moser Axles
Girdle Cover
185w oil
Stock Torsen Posi

I recently broke the posi during some testing on a local road with tons of rubber from local street racing. I broke the worm gears and the car would make a loud clunk every time I would turn, but would drive fine. Replaced it with another Torsen and will test it out at the track on November 8th. Overall it has served me well with the upgrades I have done... Really wonder how much stronger it would be if I upgraded to an Eaton posi.
Thanks for this, it's good to have contrast. So the Girdle does have it's limits. 450rwhp is a lot though, to be fair. I've added you to the list on post 1.

Is the Torsen the stronger or the weaker of the two units?

Honestly, I'm looking at replacement axle options at my power level, but expendable finances is not a commodity I'll have for a while. So I'm considering putting the studded caps and girdle on to keep the rear living for a while longer until I figure something else out. It's very likely the 8.8 option is in my future.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Studded bearing caps
solid pinion spacer
Moser Axles
Girdle Cover
185w oil
Stock Torsen Posi

This gives me great hopes for my 10 bolt. I am doing a similar set up minus the Moser axles and minus the pinion spacer. The build is being done on Monday however in a month or two I also plan on adding an LPW brace in addition to the LPW girdle cover I have ready to go on on Monday. However I am only making about 385whp. If I can cut 1.7x-18x 60fts after the LPW brace is on and get some good life out of the 10 bolt I'll be really happy. The longer it holds the more I'll beef it up too eventually adding the solid pinion spacer and moser axles. Hopefully the girdle/brace combo holds me at least till new years.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

hrcslam I also have a studed girdle
Old 10-24-2014, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
hrcslam I also have a studed girdle
Thanks, updated.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for this, it's good to have contrast. So the Girdle does have it's limits. 450rwhp is a lot though, to be fair. I've added you to the list on post 1.

Honestly, I'm looking at replacement axle options at my power level, but expendable finances is not a commodity I'll have for a while. So I'm considering putting the studded caps and girdle on to keep the rear living for a while longer until I figure something else out. It's very likely the 8.8 option is in my future.
From my reaearch it seems as of the Torsen and Auburn are about the same strength wise in regards to drag racing. Dofference being is that the Auburn can be rebuilt... I upgraded to the Moser axles out of necessity because when the driveline shop was installing my 3.90 gears, he said the axles were so twisted they wont last another launch with the new gears...

So in my case the weak link has not been the ring and pinion but rather the posi and stock axles... Its my hope to make it back unbroken from the track in 2 weeks...
Old 10-24-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpower_454
I have to check my slips to see if I did any better but I know I've done st least a 1.86 60' on nitto 555r's with an M6 and 4.10's. Plenty of 1.8XX 60' passes tho.
Correction, I finally check my slips and the best I have on the slips is 1.842s in the 60ft.

I was thinking though, I have a series 2 carrier and put 4.10's in so I had to go with the thicker ring gear set. I wonder if this adds any strength.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by maxpower_454
Correction, I finally check my slips and the best I have on the slips is 1.842s in the 60ft.

I was thinking though, I have a series 2 carrier and put 4.10's in so I had to go with the thicker ring gear set. I wonder if this adds any strength.
Thanks, updated. Hmm that could be.

From my reaearch it seems as of the Torsen and Auburn are about the same strength wise in regards to drag racing. Dofference being is that the Auburn can be rebuilt... I upgraded to the Moser axles out of necessity because when the driveline shop was installing my 3.90 gears, he said the axles were so twisted they wont last another launch with the new gears...

So in my case the weak link has not been the ring and pinion but rather the posi and stock axles... Its my hope to make it back unbroken from the track in 2 weeks...
I think you are reaching your limits at your power level on the 7.5". The only things left are tube braces and cryo treatment for you. And those will likely move the breaking parts from worm gears to ring and pinion. How much have you put into your rear axle money wise? If it's DIY under $600, and you can get a season out of it, you'd be 4 seasons removed from a S60. But, if it's $600-800 and worm gears every so often then that would be inconvenient, but much much cheaper.

Personally (and I'm approaching your power level), I'd swap the rear end to something capable of making my car stand up and not worry about it but every 10 years or so for a posi rebuild. Money is an issue though. 8.8 is the likely option for me.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

I would say (going by my own experiences, and what I've seen with others'), that the Eaton Posi is substantially stronger than the factory Torsen T2, all else being equal.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2002 camaro ss, M6, stock rear end, stock suspension. ported heads, cam, intake and exhaust all that jazz. on Sumitomo tires i ran a 1.9 6ft with no noise afterwards. only 1 pass though.

Last edited by 2002kirk; 10-27-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

Just started by 10 bolt build today. The initial build is going to consist of the following:
-Motive 3.90 gears
-Motive rebuild kit with new bearings, seals, and gaskets.
-LPW girdle cover
-Welded axle tubes

NOT going to go easy on it. Hoping to cut 1.8x 60fts first time out which shouldn't be a problem. If it holds up well to a couple track visits, my girdle has provisions on it for the LPW brace kit, which I will add at that time along with possibly a solid pinion spacer, and see just how much I can get out of this thing. Goal it to get it to survive 1.6x-1.7x 60fts. If I can achieve that then I'll continue pushing it from there, but 1.6x with a M6 would be awesome.

My current best so far is a pathetic 2.1 60ft on completely untouched M6 rear with pathetic driving on my part. 3k dumps but falling on its face bogging hard off the line. No noises or issues since then. I will also be dropping a bit of weight from the car, not sure if that makes things easier on the rear end.

Will update when the build is done and will post 60fts and ETs once I get out to the track.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
I will also be dropping a bit of weight from the car, not sure if that makes things easier on the rear end.
It makes things MUCH EASIER, not just on the rear axle and it's components, but EVERYTHING else as well (gearbox, motor mounts, trans mount, driveshaft and u-joints, etc.).

Many on here do not understand this, and try for crazy 60 foots/E.T.s with their "full weight"/loaded up with audio and other crap f bodies (I'm guessing for 'bragging rights'), and then wonder why they are breaking even very strong rear axles and such when they attempt their 1.5 or quicker 60 foots on wrinkle walls, with 500+ to the wheels in a 3900 pound car before their weight is added in.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

Go to post 1.

I had a girdle, solid pinion spacer and the motive performance gear set and they whined bad after 2 1.8 60's m6 400whp no wheel hop. Breaking isn't the only failure if you can't stand to drive your car for more than a few minutes it whines so bad. So between the gear set, rebuild kit, girdle, pinion spacer I probably had $600 or so in it and got 2 passes before I knew I had to spend a couple grand and upgrade.

My takeaway from the info gathered here is a lot of false hope and a lot of people dumping money into an inadequate rear end. If you plan on taking your car to the strip the 10 bolt will fail or become abnoxiously noisy. Matter of only time.

I recommend getting a girdle and leaving the stock gear in there and save your money. When it breaks, upgrade to 9" or s60.

Quick Reply: Best 60 Foot on Stock 7.5"?