Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need Help installing replacement axles

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help installing replacement axles

Can anyone give me some detailed instructions on what I need to replace my rear axles? I need to know if there are any "gotchas" or tips. Also do need to drain the diff. fliud, or even crack the housing? Will it require repacking bearings? ETC??? I have an '01 SS and the rear end is all stock. Thanks All
Old 05-30-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

jack up the car pop off the wheels, pop off the brakes, pull the cover, yes you will lose fluid so have a pan ready. turn the gears till you see the lil bolt i think its 5/16s pull it out pull out the big cross pin, push the axles towards the center pull out the c-clips then pull out the axles, install is the reverse
Old 05-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ta12sec
jack up the car pop off the wheels, pop off the brakes, pull the cover, yes you will lose fluid so have a pan ready. turn the gears till you see the lil bolt i think its 5/16s pull it out pull out the big cross pin, push the axles towards the center pull out the c-clips then pull out the axles, install is the reverse
Thanks for the info..

So I will not need to replace any seals, gaskets, bearing, etc? So far it seems like a pretty easy install. No special tools or anything? Thanks again..
Old 05-30-2004, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by knwilson
Thanks for the info..

So I will not need to replace any seals, gaskets, bearing, etc? So far it seems like a pretty easy install. No special tools or anything? Thanks again..
well you will need to re seal the diff cover, lil bit of rtv and your all set. you can replace the bearings and seals if you want, butunless you have a high mileage car I wouldnt bother.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ta12sec
well you will need to re seal the diff cover, lil bit of rtv and your all set. you can replace the bearings and seals if you want, butunless you have a high mileage car I wouldnt bother.
Sorry to bug.. What is RTV? Also, my car has 55K miles. Would you recommend replacing the bearing and seals? If so, do you know where I can get the replacements? Thanks again...
Old 05-30-2004, 08:44 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any auto parts store will have the bearings/seals. You may have a hard time getting out the bearings though, They are in the housing pretty tight, I have a long steel rod that I slide in one side all the way through and beat out the bearing from the opposite side.

Just inspect the axles and if they have grooves worn from the bearings I would replace them, if not just leave them. I would replace the seals though. If you have 4 channel ABS/TCS make sure you rempve the sensors in the backing plate before you push the axles in to remove the c-clips.

RTV is the sealer for the cover, get a tube of permatex ultra black or something similar and dont even bother with the gasket. Just make sure everything is clean when you put the cover on, put a nice bead of silicone around it and it wont leak..
Old 11-24-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is permatex the RTV? I'm getting ready to do this to change wheel studs and am confused on what to use. Are you saying to use the gasket with RTV or Permatex or sayind don't use the gasket and use silicone instead?
Old 11-24-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Junkie

knwilson: Are you installing the heavy duty Moser C-clip axles? Or just a pair of stock axles? WJ.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
knwilson: Are you installing the heavy duty Moser C-clip axles? Or just a pair of stock axles? WJ.
I installed the Moser C-Clip axles. The install was very simple and only took about an hour!!!
Old 11-25-2004, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by knwilson
I installed the Moser C-Clip axles. The install was very simple and only took about an hour!!!
Very good choice. WJ