My 8.8 build Update 2/18 it's in - Page 2 - LS1TECH



Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My 8.8 build Update 2/18 it's in

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #21
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
95sscamaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
Wont be long. Seems like mine took 2 weeks to fab and get shipped back. Are you gonna swap out the stock pinion flange for a strange 1350 sized unit? What about a ds and u-joint? You gonna use the stock rear cover or an aftermarket one?
yea he said that it wouldn't be too long! Well being the genius that i am i decided to narrow the rear 3in per side, so after spending $1200 last night on the set of black RTS's i got to see where my budget is lol. Also we were at FL2K this weekend so i havent had time to sit down and go over everything. If i go the stock DS route i would still need the DS flange from the 8.8, u joint and me being a LT1 i have a steel DS i was thinking on getting LS1 aluminum one. on the other hand i could get the strange pinion flange and a pst ds or something equivalent. I think im going to go with the Moser rear cover, i hope it fits but i would be willing to grind on it a little to make it fit.

Last edited by 95sscamaro; 10-13-2015 at 09:14 AM.
95sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #22
11 Second Club
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sscamaro View Post
I have been looking for a rear ended upgrade for a few years now, and I'm pulling the trigger on the 8.8. For me the pros of the 8.8 (cost, no drivetrain loss like 9in, price) out way any of the other opinions for our cars. I will update this as I go through the build with price and part numbers to help others.

Price breakdown
10 bolt $125
8.8 $150
box $20
Shipping $67.71
Deposit $380
What do they charge for labor on doing this?
Troy5061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #23
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
95sscamaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy5061 View Post
What do they charge for labor on doing this?
Just the welding of the 8.8 was $760 that narrowing also that is more. Or do you mean setting it up and install?
95sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:24 PM   #24
TECH Resident
iTrader: (37)
 
Spectre86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sscamaro View Post
Just the welding of the 8.8 was $760 that narrowing also that is more. Or do you mean setting it up and install?
$760? did it go up?
Spectre86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #25
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (27)
 
Rise of the Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jefferson City, MO
Posts: 9,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre86 View Post
$760? did it go up?
I thought it was something like $600 for labor when I last checked. What is the additional charge for narrowing it 3" per side?
Rise of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #26
10 Second Club
iTrader: (37)
 
JRENIGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 72396
Posts: 2,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sscamaro View Post
yea he said that it wouldn't be too long! Well being the genius that i am i decided to narrow the rear 3in per side, so after spending $1200 last night on the set of black RTS's i got to see where my budget is lol. Also we were at FL2K this weekend so i havent had time to sit down and go over everything. If i go the stock DS route i would still need the DS flange from the 8.8, u joint and me being a LT1 i have a steel DS i was thinking on getting LS1 aluminum one. on the other hand i could get the strange pinion flange and a pst ds or something equivalent. I think im going to go with the Moser rear cover, i hope it fits but i would be willing to grind on it a little to make it fit.
My PST ds and strange yoke with 1350 joints cost like $370 shipped. Thats for a 3" DOM steel ds. Im using a "Perfect Launch" brand cover and it fit nicely.
JRENIGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #27
10 Second Club
iTrader: (37)
 
JRENIGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 72396
Posts: 2,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix View Post
I thought it was something like $600 for labor when I last checked. What is the additional charge for narrowing it 3" per side?
Seems like mine was $600 for welding it all up. His base price went up like $20 for materials in the past couple of months. I cut off the axles tubes on both rears before shipping and that saved me $40 in labor cost. I also removed all internal parts on the 8.8 down to the bare housing so that might have also saved some over the O.P.'s cost.
JRENIGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #28
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
95sscamaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix View Post
I thought it was something like $600 for labor when I last checked. What is the additional charge for narrowing it 3" per side?
It was $175 extra to narrow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
Seems like mine was $600 for welding it all up. His base price went up like $20 for materials in the past couple of months. I cut off the axles tubes on both rears before shipping and that saved me $40 in labor cost. I also removed all internal parts on the 8.8 down to the bare housing so that might have also saved some over the O.P.'s cost.
correct, i cut mine and stripped them bare. im not really concerned over a few bucks here or there, still cheaper than the alternative.
95sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:05 PM   #29
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (27)
 
Rise of the Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jefferson City, MO
Posts: 9,618
Default

It's going to look killer with the rear narrowed 3" per side. In my opinion, that's the only way to do it.
Rise of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:04 PM   #30
12 Second Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: fayetteville n.c
Posts: 19
Default

What did the 8.8 come out of?
alexj01_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:02 PM   #31
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
95sscamaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexj01_83 View Post
What did the 8.8 come out of?
2001 Ford Explorer
95sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:18 PM   #32
TECH Resident
iTrader: (37)
 
Spectre86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 932
Default

something I just found out when ordering other parts.

carbon disks for the 8.8 are $109 new shipped.

a new ford racing track loc lsd with carbon disks is $230 shipped.

so pretty much an extra $100 more gets you a brand new trac loc. something to think about since open 8.8 rears go for a lot cheaper then the track loc ones. specially If it has drum brakes.
Spectre86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:49 PM   #33
On The Tree
iTrader: (6)
 
All Pontiac WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lawrenceville, Ga
Posts: 111
Default 8.8

You can buy the carbon disc set up from...gyeomansford....on ebay for $95.00 shipped.

That is where I bought mine from.
All Pontiac WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #34
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
95sscamaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre86 View Post
something I just found out when ordering other parts.

carbon disks for the 8.8 are $109 new shipped.

a new ford racing track loc lsd with carbon disks is $230 shipped.

so pretty much an extra $100 more gets you a brand new trac loc. something to think about since open 8.8 rears go for a lot cheaper then the track loc ones. specially If it has drum brakes.
I already had my eye on these lol mine came with the lsd and 3.73s was thinking of keeping it just In case the 4.10s are too much but I'll prob just sell them.

This was the shopping list, oh and just for anyone wondering the shop I work at is a whole seller for summit (Atech) and the discount you get is BS like 5% if that on some of the parts.


95sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:07 AM   #35
TECH Resident
iTrader: (37)
 
Spectre86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Pontiac WS6 View Post
You can buy the carbon disc set up from...gyeomansford....on ebay for $95.00 shipped.

That is where I bought mine from.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-3...arbondisc.html

Just saying its a great option if you can save money and get one without a lsd, or if you get one with high miles. $130 difference isnt much for a new lsd with carbon disks vs just carbon disks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sscamaro View Post
I already had my eye on these lol mine came with the lsd and 3.73s was thinking of keeping it just In case the 4.10s are too much but I'll prob just sell them.

This was the shopping list, oh and just for anyone wondering the shop I work at is a whole seller for summit (Atech) and the discount you get is BS like 5% if that on some of the parts.



mine has 3:73s, which is what i wanted. plus i got the whole rear from a friend.
that $520 isnt bad. Im right at $300 for the for racing trac lok with carbon disks and the install kit. by the time you add the 160 for the gears and whatever for the oil, its close to the same. american muscle has stuff a lil cheaper then summit.
Spectre86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #36
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
95sscamaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 484
Default

Got an update from TNT that he had gotten in the rears, and he just sent said its done! One day, talk about turnaround time it doesn't get any faster than that! Can't wait to get it built and in the car!

Top right
95sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #37
TECH Resident
iTrader: (37)
 
Spectre86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
My PST ds and strange yoke with 1350 joints cost like $370 shipped. Thats for a 3" DOM steel ds. Im using a "Perfect Launch" brand cover and it fit nicely.
How long was your driveshaft? I'm also going to be running a 4l80 with my 8.8
Was yours a custom one or is there a part number?
Spectre86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #38
10 Second Club
iTrader: (37)
 
JRENIGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 72396
Posts: 2,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre86 View Post
How long was your driveshaft? I'm also going to be running a 4l80 with my 8.8
Was yours a custom one or is there a part number?
I honestly dont know the length. It was a custom one I believe but Im not sure. PST just had me measure from the trans tailshaft housing where the seal goes to the stock pinion flange and they would do the rest. I will try to get a measurement tomorrow afternoon and let you know Monday.
JRENIGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:34 PM   #39
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
95sscamaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 484
Default

I got home from work early to see these at the door. Super stoked to finally have have a set of my own. Now we just have to wait on the rears to be made




95sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #40
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
95sscamaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 484
Default

Would you look at this









95sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Weight Reduction List" Fully Updated! fasttagurl Drag Racing Tech 264 04-18-2017 05:33 PM
2002 Camaro LS3 Turbo 02URPITFUL Vehicle Classifieds 6 02-22-2017 06:57 AM
Camaro roller for sale camaro 1999 Vehicle Classifieds 25 03-10-2015 10:02 PM
2002 Camaro SS #7146 build thread demonspeed Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 142 09-18-2014 12:08 PM
New Product! Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets for the Moser! UMI Performance Sponsor Sales & Specials 31 10-17-2004 05:36 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send