Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 bolt oil change

So my 10 bolt has been making a whole lot of noise so i decided to change the oil in it, with the hope that it would quite down a bit. The oil itself didnt seem to be too bad, but there were shaving in it. And alot on the cover itself. Is it time to replace the rear or maybe rebuild it?

Old 03-15-2016, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Everything that is visible in the pictures looks fine. Nothing unusual in the gear wear pattern. Those are not 'shavings' on the magnet,it is iron/steel wear dust held in the magnetic force lines of the magnet. What's on the magnet looks fine.
What can't be seen are the pinion bearings,carrier bearings,and axle bearings. And changing the fluid will increase the longevity of those that are still serviceable. What's on the magnet is also in the fluid you drained and that fluid was a slurry of abrasive iron/steel dust that plays hell with bearings.
What kind of noise was it making ?
Old 03-15-2016, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Everything that is visible in the pictures looks fine. Nothing unusual in the gear wear pattern. Those are not 'shavings' on the magnet,it is iron/steel wear dust held in the magnetic force lines of the magnet. What's on the magnet looks fine.
What can't be seen are the pinion bearings,carrier bearings,and axle bearings. And changing the fluid will increase the longevity of those that are still serviceable. What's on the magnet is also in the fluid you drained and that fluid was a slurry of abrasive iron/steel dust that plays hell with bearings.
What kind of noise was it making ?
Like a howling type noise but very loud. And it louder if im turning one way versus the other. But even when im going straighy its very loud. I drove it just now after changingthe fluid and i dont think it got any less noisy.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vlad1995
Like a howling type noise but very loud. And it louder if im turning one way versus the other. But even when im going straighy its very loud. I drove it just now after changingthe fluid and i dont think it got any less noisy.
Noise increasing while turning is an indication of a bad wheel bearing. If the noise increases while turning left that means the right wheel bearing is bad and vice versa.

Carl
Old 03-16-2016, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
Noise increasing while turning is an indication of a bad wheel bearing. If the noise increases while turning left that means the right wheel bearing is bad and vice versa.

Carl
Should I replace both just to be safe? And are there better ones then the one that came from the factory?
Old 03-16-2016, 11:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should I replace both just to be safe? And are there better ones then the one that came from the factory?
Yes, You should replace both axle bearings rather than just one. The factory ones are a good bearing.

Carl
Old 03-16-2016, 11:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

If axle bearings are gone/worn/broken,axles could have been affected. axles might need replacement too if they're beyond serviceability. NEVER use 'axle saver bearings'.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

The gears look great, Check the pinion bearings for free play, as well as carrier and wheel bearings. If you can rotate the wheel, while in neutral with the help of a buddy and listen for noises. Remember keep you hands out of the gear area, and have it properly on jack stands or a full lift. Bad wheel/carrier bearings will make a howl, pinion bearings will usually make a higher pitched noise only on a drive/coast phase. If your rear end gears are stock they usually don't whine, and if they do it will be over a narrow speed range and be quiet the rest of the time. Also torsen rear ends will make some clanking noise when coasting around a tight turn off the throttle and that is normal for 1999+ f-bodies.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
If axle bearings are gone/worn/broken,axles could have been affected. axles might need replacement too if they're beyond serviceability. NEVER use 'axle saver bearings'.
What axles would you suggest? The car is pretty stock right now, but should be getting a cam and headers in a near future.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by McGinnis
The gears look great, Check the pinion bearings for free play, as well as carrier and wheel bearings. If you can rotate the wheel, while in neutral with the help of a buddy and listen for noises. Remember keep you hands out of the gear area, and have it properly on jack stands or a full lift. Bad wheel/carrier bearings will make a howl, pinion bearings will usually make a higher pitched noise only on a drive/coast phase. If your rear end gears are stock they usually don't whine, and if they do it will be over a narrow speed range and be quiet the rest of the time. Also torsen rear ends will make some clanking noise when coasting around a tight turn off the throttle and that is normal for 1999+ f-bodies.
How would I check the bearing? Just move them around? And its definitely a howling noise.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

If it increases in intensity while turning, It is most likely weal bearings especially if you have 100,000+ miles on her. Replace both sides, don't use axle saver bearings! If you see any pitting or gouges in the axles replace it, so you don't chew threw new ones and have to fix it twice. If you bring it to a shop, go to a drive line/diff specialty shop not your average "mechanic" cause these rear ends are picky in how things are set up and installed.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And this is why you do NOT use the axle saver bearings...

This is why I like pictures This was caused mostly because of my stupidity, however this is to also prove a point: don't use the axle saver bearings!!!
Old 03-16-2016, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

I had a similar sound and it turned out to be a carrier bearing.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:31 PM
Launching!

If it increases in intensity while turning, It is most likely weal bearings especially if you have 100,000+ miles on her. Replace both sides, don't use axle saver bearings! If you see any pitting or gouges in the axles replace it, so you don't chew threw new ones and have to fix it twice. If you bring it to a shop, go to a drive line/diff specialty shop not your average "mechanic" cause these rear ends are picky in how things are set up and installed.
Which axles would you recommend to beef up the rear end?
Old 03-17-2016, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

If your keeping a stock carrier, you need to stick with 28 spline axles. If you are at stock power levels OE axles are fine, if you want a little stronger you could upgrade to stronger Yukon axles.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Launching!

If your keeping a stock carrier, you need to stick with 28 spline axles. If you are at stock power levels OE axles are fine, if you want a little stronger you could upgrade to stronger Yukon axles.
Well right now the car is stock, but its getting headers and a cam soon. So i wanted to beef up the rear while its apart
Old 03-22-2016, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Well right now the car is stock, but its getting headers and a cam soon. So i wanted to beef up the rear while its apart
I just replaced the bearings on my 10-bolt. Once I got it apart noticed it chewed through the passenger axle shaft. Good idea to have one on standby.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
I just replaced the bearings on my 10-bolt. Once I got it apart noticed it chewed through the passenger axle shaft. Good idea to have one on standby.

What axles are you gonna go with?
Old 03-24-2016, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I just bought a used oem one from a dude in town.
What axles are you gonna go with?

Quick Reply: 10 bolt oil change