Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strengthening the Torsen

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Strengthening the Torsen

After reading about a guy breaking 6 Torsens in stock cars I did a little research and found this article from Hot Rod magazine. Pretty interesting for modest powered cars. Anyone have any experience with this? Also would it be better to do this up front or wait till something breaks(if something breaks)?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...94XZwX19GTWWZw
Old 08-08-2016, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

nothing in the 'article' strengthens the Torsen.just concerns strengthening the housing to maintain proper gearset lash and using stronger axles. the Torsen itself cannot be strengthened. Since the Torsen is a carrier,at the end they 'recommended' going to an Eaton and/or Auburn carrier.

to see how a Torsen breaks,do a 'search' in this gears & axles forum for 'catostrophic'.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Good point. I used poor terminology. Being that I have a lower powered motor(<400) with an auto, I will likely beef up the 10 bolt(if I have trouble) before I drop $3K in a 12 bolt.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

In your case,I see no need for aftermarket axles or welding the axle tubes to the housing,just get yourself a aftermarket rearend housing cover that preloads the carrier bearing caps.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
In your case,I see no need for aftermarket axles or welding the axle tubes to the housing,just get yourself a aftermarket rearend housing cover that preloads the carrier bearing caps.
I'll look into that. Thanks. I'll make a few passes in the lower 12's (hopefully) after my stall and see if I'm drawn to seek 11's which will mean cam. If I'm drawn to more power, I'll hold off on any rearend mods and put back for a 12 bolt. I've had a lot of fun working on this car over the past 5 months. At some point, I hope to just be content with it.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

Looks like maybe the LPW Ultimate girdle is the way to go due to the option of adding axle tube braces. Yep, I know.... its still a 10 bolt.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Trouble with upgrading the stock 10 bolt Torsen carrier is instead of the carrier breaking the ring gear will break and the the housing will twist along with the tubes moving around. If you are going to do any serious beating the **** out of it replace the entire rear. I would upgrade to a Ford 8.8, very beefy and still on the light side of things overall. If you are handy you can do a 8.8 very cheap too.

I see Hawks has one cheap http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/hawk...-end-assembly/
Old 08-11-2016, 09:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Trouble with upgrading the stock 10 bolt Torsen carrier is instead of the carrier breaking the ring gear will break and the the housing will twist along with the tubes moving around. If you are going to do any serious beating the **** out of it replace the entire rear. I would upgrade to a Ford 8.8, very beefy and still on the light side of things overall. If you are handy you can do a 8.8 very cheap too.

I see Hawks has one cheap http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/hawk...-end-assembly/
That makes perfect sense. Problem is that I don't really know how far I'm going with this car. I feel like I'm done with upgrades and I'll be content with low 12's when I put my stall in. I don't have any plans to go to the strip every weekend. If I knew without a doubt that I was going to keep the car long term I could certainly justify a new rearend. I don't mind dumping a few hundred into the rearend as a bit of insurance but at this point, I don't see me putting $2300 into the rear end now. That one from Hawks looks pretty sweet though. Comes up to about $2300 once you add paint and 3 channel option. Might be a bit more but I don't know what some of the options are.

I really appreciate the advice from everyone. It has really helped me keep my expectations in line with my car.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

A4's have been into the 10's with a 10 bolt and a T/A cover. My car still has the 10 bolt and holding fine with motive 3.73 gears and a T/A cover. It was bottom 12's bolt ons only for years...now it has about 2200miles on it since the H/C/I swap and holding fine. It's not a track car tho....

Last edited by kinglt-1; 08-11-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
I am handy and do enjoy doing things myself. Maybe I'll go ahead with the girdle to help buy me some time. Ill take it easy on the 10 bolt and see where I end up heading with this car.

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
A4's have been into the 10's with a 10 bolt and a T/A cover. My car still has the 10 bolt and holding fine with motive 3.73 gears and a T/A cover. It was bottom 12's bolt ons only for years...now it has about 2200miles on it since the H/C/I swap and holding fine. It's not a track car tho....
That's music to my ears. I LOVE seeing the fruits of my labor at the strip. But once I know what the gains are, I'm content cruising around and just knowing what the car can do. Sure I'll get on it every now and then, but there won't be much beating gong on.

Quick Reply: Strengthening the Torsen