Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Stock Rear end??? need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Rear end??? need help

Heres the deal. I have a 2002 Z with 39,000 miles on it. Ive had nothing but problems with my rear end and have had the pinion seal replaced 3 times by the dealer, on its forth now. Im no mechanic by any strech so i need some help. I took it up to the last dealer that worked on it because i was getting a whine and also noticed the leak was back. They told me that if it was something they did it could be covered. Well i get a call saying its going to cost 1300 to fix the problem. He listed off a whole list of bearings and one of my right axel needs replaceing because it was grooved from one of the bearing. Im in the process of fighting GM over this. Is it logical that with this leaking 4 times prior and being run low on fluid would kill the internal bearings. I also have a lemon law layer looking into this. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:43 AM
Staging Lane

Default UP DA Rear

Hey Zo,
It is not normal to have all these rear problems. If it is not covered under warranty then i would persue getting a good used rear with about the same mileage. You would be better off buying one and installing it yourself between 100to 300 bux. Good luck
Old 06-20-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

My rear leaked from day one (2000 WS6). The fluid didn't leave a mark on the ground, but the pinion seal always leaked a little, and the diff. housing was always wet.
When I finally got 4.10s installed in the stock rear, the pinion seal was replaced (by an execellent installer), and within a few weeks, it was leaking again. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it is just a bad design. Anyway, unless it is really pouring out, it is USUALLY not an issue. Check the level every so often if you are nervous.

That said, it is a new car, and you shouldn't have to deal with problems, but fighting GM, and time lost over aggrevation and worrying sometimes isn't worth it.

Good luck.

Tommy
Old 06-20-2004, 10:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pinion seal leaking would most likely a setup problem.
Either internal (too much pinion play) or external
(bad pinion angle makes more wobble & scrub that
the seal can only resist, not deny).

If the car has a warranty history that the service
failed to correct, I would not consider the problem
your responsibility - take it up the chain if you have
a problem with the service manager's attitude.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help. Im trying to take it up the chain. Well see what happens.