Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Experiences with a full spool on a street/strip car

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experiences with a full spool on a street/strip car

I bought a 01 camaro cam, bolt has ons, nos, etc. It has a strange s60 35 spline with full spool on 275/60 drag radials. Looking for personal experience of ppl running a set up like this on the street??
Old 12-17-2017, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Love mine, you'll never know its there unless you are in a tight turn, it will buck the rear end some. That being said, dont act stupid in the rain around corners, you'll be much more traction limited due to the tires fighting each other.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No rain for me with MT drag radials lol. But that's where I'm at not really noticing with normal driving. Just wondering if anyone's had axle issues on the street
Old 12-17-2017, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

35 spline axles? you wont have any issues.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

No problems here so far with my 35spl spooled S60 on the street.

If I do break an axle i'll go straight to MW 40 spline and spool to suit.

Last edited by Launch; 11-19-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:28 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was noticeable tire scrub issues in mine during slow turning, and people always thought there was something wrong with my car. It was kind of annoying but not enough to really make a difference in my decision to have it. Only reason I went with the Detroit Trutrack was because I love the Road Course. If you drive it more then just occasionally with the spool or once or twice a week it can bug some people. Also, they are Illegal for street use in some states and if youre in an accident it can get you into some trouble. That being said, I really don't notice the difference so much between the spool and the Trutrack. I can tell when the rear end locks up but hard accelerations feel quite similar.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd drive it and see if you like it. Only you can decide if it's streetable for you. Many people have spools on the street. From my experience it's not so bad on a weekend toy.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

My 68 Barracuda Formula S had a spool in it. Terrible handling car with it in, chopped the living crap out of tires too but it was over 500hp and a complete monster to drive. Very unsafe in the rain, was all over the road constantly. I sold the car after having too many close calls. Back in those days the roads were empty so you could get away with a bad handling car. You can't imagine how out of shape a 68 bcuda can get in a split second, car scared me so many times I was afraid to race anyone. It ate clutches for breakfast too.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I had a spool in. At first I didn't think it was that bad, but over time and DD the car I got more and more frustrated. I ended up putting a wavetrac in and I've been much happier with the car since then.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

95% of driving is in a straight line. I cant imagine anyone getting aggravated or having a car that "constantly goes out of control" from that 5% time where a spool matters.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A bud had a spool in a tubbed, 4-link '66 Chevelle, he busted at least 3 forward rod-ends that I know of trying to street drive it...
Old 12-26-2017, 07:38 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
95% of driving is in a straight line. I cant imagine anyone getting aggravated or having a car that "constantly goes out of control" from that 5% time where a spool matters.
You must live in Kansas, because I can tell from your post you've never lived in Western MT where 95% of driving is corners and hills on Rain, Ice or Snow. But I'm not much of a straight liner. My love has always been the road course. That's why I ditched my spool for a Detroit Trutrack
Old 12-26-2017, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

My experience in the rain was intense, now this was back in the days of bia ply tires which I don't think are as forgiving as modern radials. The guy I sold the car to ended up into a utility pole(in the rain) and is a paraplegic from the injuries.

The car just would not turn without getting loose in the rain.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran one in my daily driver for almost 10yrs with no issues like mentioned above you don't want to get caught in the rain if you are running slicks or drag radials.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had my spool in a month. Absolutely hated it. Hard to Daily around town. Bent all my rear lugs. Ruined a wheel. Didn’t think I would have issues from have had spools in the past. Guess I was getting more traction than I thought lol. Lesson learned.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:43 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Anyone who says you wont notice a spool...must be delusional.

I had the misfortune of using one for a few months, and it made the car horrific to drive in every respect. Ill handling, ***** when manoeuvring, scrubbed tyres like **** and went no faster at the track.
I honestly cant think of anything positive to say about a spool in real terms. Other than they're cheap and the actual part looks cool.

But install it in a car you want to enjoy and drive....not a ******* chance will I ever have one again.

But if you do not drive often, if roads around you are 95% straight as ssred's appear to be and you want something strong to drag race on a budget...then yes a spool would fit that bill.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

True yes we have no elevation changes, and normal boring roads, no snow or ice, no curvy roads. Its about as basic of a place to drive as anywhere. A spool will buck against wheel studs and lower control arms for sure. You need to make sure those parts are up to the task, but no issues here and i run slicks on the street often.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Anyone who says you wont notice a spool...must be delusional.

I had the misfortune of using one for a few months, and it made the car horrific to drive in every respect. Ill handling, ***** when manoeuvring, scrubbed tyres like **** and went no faster at the track.
I honestly cant think of anything positive to say about a spool in real terms. Other than they're cheap and the actual part looks cool.

But install it in a car you want to enjoy and drive....not a ******* chance will I ever have one again.

But if you do not drive often, if roads around you are 95% straight as ssred's appear to be and you want something strong to drag race on a budget...then yes a spool would fit that bill.
Exactly my experience, wish I had changed the spool out for a posi carrier instead of selling the car. I just had my fill of crazy for a while. Should have seen my tires, they were so chopped up you can't imagine and seriously like a dumb azz I didn't really put 2&2 together that it was the spool. I bought the car with the spool in it................ just young and dumb I guess.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I've owned a car with a spool since the 80's from stock suspension stuff to prostreet vehicles. For the mention of handling no it is not designed for handling all though I used to auto-x with a gentleman that had a spooled 70's Camaro and you would never know it was in there. That cars soul purpose was an auto-x car and was extremely competitive. Oddly was even an automatic.

If someone has a spool and it is breaking parts then the parts are sub par standard parts and you may be expecting more out of them than they are capable of. Especially if you are talking heim joints like mentioned above. Look at all the cars at the drag strip making tight corners in the pits and at some tracks even into the staging lanes and burn out boxes.

Like I mention to every customer that calls and ask us about spools, if your build is based around drag racing get a spool as it will be the last differential you will ever own. If you street drive but still focused on going fast in a straight line and limited street cruising a spool is still a great option. If you want an all around vehicle then choose a differential that will handle your vehicles HP, transmission, tire combo, and weight.

Most clutch posi's are not going to handle the abuse in these vehicles and certain entry level posi that does not use clutches but internal gears if they do not have a heavy duty case are not going to last either. A Detroit locker especially with a M6 is next to horrible to drive on the street as it bucks and shakes around corners as it locks and unlocks and we have broke them before during testing at the drag strip. The only differential that will do everything with out issues and the only one to date that we have never broke nor thousands of our customers have broke is the Strange S-Trac. We tested it in a bottom 9 second M6 before it was ever released and it never hick upped once. The Powertrax has treated us well also with out issues but we try to limit it on HP levels to make it survive.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

I've built-repaired 100's of rears and the one carrier that always holds up the best to insane abuse is a standard clutch posi. The case is heavy enough it won't break and rebuilding the clutch pack every 10 or 20k is nothing. The only thing is its not the best for all out drag racing. But if that's your thing the SPOOL is the TOOL.

Quick Reply: Experiences with a full spool on a street/strip car