Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange S60 Questions UPDATED with Answers!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange S60 Questions UPDATED with Answers!

The bearings in my stock rear end are all shot, and I'm ready to upgrade the rear end with one that won't break at the drag strip, but I don't have $3500. I was considering trying to build a Dana 60, but after looking at Strange's S60, I don't want to try that anymore. It would just be too much of a headache.

So I was looking at their website some more and found this:
https://www.strangeengineering.net/p...d-mounts.html/
My idea is that I could buy this casing and a used Dana 60 and combine the two. In the future, when I have more money, I could buy another differential and a different ring and pinion if I wanted to. For now, I would have a Dana 60 in the car for under $1700 after buying the axles.

Now I have some questions.
1. I have a 2000 M6 with ABS/TCS. That is a 4-channel system, right? This housing says it's drilled for a 3-channel sensor. Yes, the S60 comes with a plug for the 3-channel sensor hole. Route the normal 4-channel wiring as necessary with the correct spacers.
2. If I find a used Dana 60, can I use all of the internal components other than the axles and the side bearing races?
3. Do the rear ends/housings from Strange come with brake lines already installed on them? No, but you can use your stock brake lines with a little force.
4. Is there any reason to get a custom width for a DD?
5. The page says, "Aluminum covers will not fit due to limited vehicle clearances." Does that mean that I can only go with a plain-Jane diff cover? Yes, unless you have removed your factory fuel tank or dented an LT1 (metal) fuel tank, an aluminum diff cover will hit it since it is thicker.
6. The page also says, "98-02 require housing end spacers." Are those something I can take off of my stock rear end with the backing plates? I looked at the two 98-02 spacer links. Which style of bearing would I have? Spacers - no, must purchase with the S60. The tapered bearing is better for a corner carving daily driver. Use the non-tapered style for a drag racer.
7. Is it worth it to have them powder coat the rear end or should I just buy some POR-15 or something like that to prevent corrosion?
8. Is there a way to use my stock driveshaft with a Dana 60 pinion? I'm assuming that as long as the number of splines are the same, I'm okay. No, the S60/Dana 60 pinion/yoke is longer than the stock 10 bolt's is.
9. Will this rear end work with a Watts link? Depending on the size of the axle tubing.
10.What am I missing?

Last edited by dudesqueak; 06-11-2018 at 09:08 PM. Reason: title incorrect
Old 04-21-2018, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Why not just by a good used rear end?
Old 04-22-2018, 05:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

If you can find a good S60 at the right width that would definitely be the way to go, But the problem with piecing one together is the way it mounts. Do yourself a favor call Midwest Chassis and let them help you with the different options. In the end you will be happy you did. We have the S60 and the reason you cant use a aluminum cover with supports is it won't clear the panhard bar. Strange makes a pretty sick cover that will work though.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails Strange S60 Questions UPDATED with Answers!-img_20140929_052045_330.jpg  
Old 04-22-2018, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As mentioned, I would suggest just purchasing a new or used S60 for your application. Installation is as easy as installing a stock 10 bolt.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BOLO
As mentioned, I would suggest just purchasing a new or used S60 for your application. Installation is as easy as installing a stock 10 bolt.
I can't afford a brand new one, and the only used ones I've found still go for $2k+. I'm not too worried about the installation, either.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TTur1996
From Strange's website, "D3517 can't be used in F-Body applications due to limited clearances." D3517 is the part number for that diff cover. How does it fit on your car?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by TTur1996
Noticed the breather you sneaky devil!
Old 04-23-2018, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by dudesqueak
From Strange's website, "D3517 can't be used in F-Body applications due to limited clearances." D3517 is the part number for that diff cover. How does it fit on your car?
He's no longer running factory exhaust and has also removed the heat shield protecting the fuel tank from the factory exhaust.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
He's no longer running factory exhaust and has also removed the heat shield protecting the fuel tank from the factory exhaust.
Both of those statements apply to me too, so, awesome! Thanks!
Old 04-23-2018, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Noticed the breather you sneaky devil!
What is the purpose of that breather? Eliminates the fuel tank vent?
Old 04-24-2018, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

The breather is the tank vent. The fuel tank is in the ttop well. It extends down below the bottom of the tank so just in case the roll over valve malfunctions. Rear end cover fits wth no issues.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes and yes. No exhaust or Fuel tank underneath. If it's too loud your too old. Just like music. Very healthy LS music that is. Lol
Old 04-24-2018, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Used some of the extra room for the trans cooler. Temp on trans using the brake on a cool day stays 105 to 110. On a hot day 140 to 150. Very happy how good it works. So is my th400. And thats 8 to ten passes using the brake every pass. Its the larger B&M with the larger fan.
Attached Thumbnails Strange S60 Questions UPDATED with Answers!-img_20140901_162739_815.jpg  
Old 04-26-2018, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Is there anyone else who has bought a casing from them who has some answers?
Old 06-10-2018, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

bump ttt
Old 06-10-2018, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

My Strange S60 fit a perdy aluminum cover just fine with aftermarket panhard bar. (once I trimmed the stock panhard bar brace a little). I have to admit the Moser cover looks trick from the back view of the car compared to a stamped steel housing,.due to the size of the S60 it's fairly noticeable from behind.

My LT1 steel fuel tank might clear better than 99+ plastic tank.. not sure. I did bend the tank a little bit also in the top corner to give it more clearance.

Excuse the weak sway bar.. i only fitted it for the time being to clear the crude 4" under axle exhaust. I will be redoing the exhaust soon and also fitting a proper thick sway bar.

To answer the OP's question, I purchased this as bare f-body housing. Built it myself with 3.73's and Strange spool. I wouldn't bother building it myself if I was in USA.. I'd just buy it complete. I only bought it in pieces because the shipping cost. Plus I ordered it with the common Ford torino style ends and axles so when I have to buy new axles I can purchase them as a typical ford 9" axle if using other manufacturers who are less familiar with the f-body style setup.

Last edited by Launch; 06-10-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dudesqueak
The bearings in my stock rear end are all shot, and I'm ready to upgrade the rear end with one that won't break at the drag strip, but I don't have $3500. I was considering trying to build a Dana 60, but after looking at Strange's S60, I don't want to try that anymore. It would just be too much of a headache.

So I was looking at their website some more and found this:
https://www.strangeengineering.net/p...d-mounts.html/
My idea is that I could buy this casing and a used Dana 60 and combine the two. In the future, when I have more money, I could buy a True-Trac and a different ring and pinion if I wanted to. For now, I would have a Dana 60 in the car for under $1700 after buying the axles.

Now I have some questions.
1. I have a 2000 M6 with ABS/TCS. That is a 4-channel system, right? This housing says it's drilled for a 3-channel sensor. Yes
2. If I find a used Dana 60, can I use all of the internal components other than the axles and the side bearing races? Not sure but I'd call Strange. They have a very knowledgeable tech team. I've deal with them a few times.
3. Do the rear ends/housings from Strange come with brake lines already installed on them? No
4. Is there any reason to get a custom width for a DD? Up to you and how you prefer wheel back spacing. For me, I like the stock width. Some prefer a shorter width look.
5. The page says, "Aluminum covers will not fit due to limited vehicle clearances." Does that mean that I can only go with a plain-Jane diff cover? I think others already answered this.
6. The page also says, "98-02 require housing end spacers." Are those something I can take off of my stock rear end with the backing plates? I looked at the two 98-02 spacer links. Which style of bearing would I have? Idk. Call Strange.
7. Is it worth it to have them powder coat the rear end or should I just buy some POR-15 or something like that to prevent corrosion? I had them powder coat mine and it seems to hold up well. That's more of a budget question.
8. Is there a way to use my stock driveshaft with a Dana 60 pinion? I'm assuming that as long as the number of splines are the same, I'm okay. No.
9. Will this rear end work with a Watts link? Not sure, but I don't think there's one available for the S60 but I'd call vendors like BMR and UMI. The S60 in f bodies are more of a straight line setup vs a handling setup.
10.What am I missing?
Upgrade to bigger wheel studs for strength. If you're using adjustable control arms, adjustable torque arm, and an adjustable panhard bar you will need to setup the proper pinion angle and control arm angle along with the wheelbase. I have everything listed above and Viking coilovers and none of the settings from the stock rear end carried over. The S60 sat too far back with my adjustable lcas that were setup using the stock rear end. After that pinion angle, lca angle and ride height.