Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Anyone running a spool on the street in their f-body?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running a spool on the street in their f-body?

And have you had problems with it? The strange 12 bolt, lightweight drag rear end for the f-bodies is priced better and weighs less... if I can get away with it in a street/strip car it is really the best product for my $$$.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Smile

I`ll find out in a few weeks. Working on installing my Strange PRG230 right now. I`ll keep you posted.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Cool. I am thinking of the strange lightweight drag read w/ spool.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BowtieFreak
And have you had problems with it? The strange 12 bolt, lightweight drag rear end for the f-bodies is priced better and weighs less... if I can get away with it in a street/strip car it is really the best product for my $$$.
I have had it for about a month now in my daily driver, about 3000mi every 2 months. I love it except for the turning part. It is tolerable for me but everyone that has rode with me so far, my wife and my dad, have complained about the vibration/popping when turning. It is a matter of how bad you want a rearend that you can launch with slicks and not flinch. That is what I wanted, so I am able to deal with it. If you have an automatic or won't be launching on slicks with a manual, then I'd say spend the extra cash and get the super strenght posi. Good luck either way.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

i have one and drive it on street now for 3 weeks its in a moser 9in. and as said you will never know its in the car untill you slow down to 5mph and try and get in a parking lot or your drive way. then you get your poping clanking and vibrations lol. but after driveing it for a bit you learn little tricks on how to drive it and it not so bad
Old 02-13-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silverZ98
i have one and drive it on street now for 3 weeks its in a moser 9in. and as said you will never know its in the car untill you slow down to 5mph and try and get in a parking lot or your drive way. then you get your poping clanking and vibrations lol. but after driveing it for a bit you learn little tricks on how to drive it and it not so bad

Exactly........ ill be going with a 9" also because the price for it is only about $150 more for it then a 12 bolt...... and i know it will hold the power i am going to be making....... Ive ridden in plenty of my buddys fast Mustangs with a spool on the street and you cant tell its there on the freeway and regular driving.... until you go really slow and you just ahve to learn to deal with that.... no biggie..
Kyle
Old 02-13-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys are convincing me to get a spool for my daily driver..
Old 02-14-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

If your a sensitive person.....

Alot of the way it reacts depends on the tires you run. When I had my M/Ts on I couldnt tell it was there (flexable sidewall) but in my car, a little chirp from a stiff set of tires was the least of your worries.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

As said, a spool really isn't that big of a deal to drive. But, it does put more stress on the axle, bearings, and tires. Also, it's pretty easy to be caught off guard in the rain. I've ran a spool on a few different street toys, and cruising around really isn't too bad. Now add skinnies, ET streets, a BBC, an 8" converter, and an S-10 blazer, with no power steering, brakes, etc. and you're in for a RUDE FREAKING AWAKENING.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Alot of the way it reacts depends on the tires you run. When I had my M/Ts on I couldnt tell it was there (flexable sidewall) but in my car, a little chirp from a stiff set of tires was the least of your worries.
I was going to switch on and off from my prostars to my 18" rear Z06 wheels. I didn't want to but if I have to I will...Run Drag radials on the 18" in the rear (they make them). Would you guys really NOT recommend the 18" street tire or should I go with the Drag Radial. I don't want to hurt my new rear end.

thanks

Quick Reply: Anyone running a spool on the street in their f-body?