Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

gear tooth pattern adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear tooth pattern adjustments

alright, ive done some searching and keep getting conflicting answers, so im just gonna ask you guys

if its heavy toe, what is the adjustment?

if heavy heel?

if its high on tooth?

if its low on tooth?

right now mine is sitting heavy toe (side closest to the inside, near the differential) majority of people tell me its backlash i have to change, some say it have to change pinion shim, who is right and what is the right adjustments for all possibilities?
Old 02-25-2005, 08:18 PM
14 Second Truck Club

2 schools of thought. If you measured your pinion depth and you know it is okay, then you should adjust backlash, as long as it does not get below .008". If you have your backlash at .008" and you are still heavy toe, then you need to remove pinion shim.

End result- check your backlash first. If it is looser than .008, take sime out and see what it does to your pattern. If that fixes it and you have good backlash and pattern you are set. If you backlash is .008 and still heavy toe, remove some pinion shim and try again. The ideal thing would be check your pinion depth if you have the tool and get that right first.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:24 AM
11 Second Club

yea, i didnt have the pinion depth gauge, so measured the original pinion shim and put a new one on of the same thickness, hopeing that would work, havent measured backlash yet, but when i was turning the pinion, there didnt seem to be much play, so im gonna check that out first

thanks
Old 02-26-2005, 09:23 AM
14 Second Truck Club

You should have measured you original pinion head and then your new one and adjusted for the difference. That would have gotten you real close to the proper pinion depth. If the new pinion head is larger then you subtract that amount of shim, vice-versa.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While we're on the subject, what kind of pattern would I be looking at with loud whine on mild accel and maintaining speed with light gas pedal?
Old 02-26-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heel=High On Tooth

Toe=Low on tooth

If your backlash is at .008..then you can read the pattern as follows:

High On Tooth(Heel)-Increase pinoon shim thickness

Low On Tooth(Toe)-Decrease pinion shim thickness

What pinion shim do you have in it now? With 3.23's usually a 29/30 will put you in the ballpark.Just adjust from there.

I rarely check pinion depth.The pattern will tell you what to do.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:15 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by IMKMFAST
Heel=High On Tooth

Toe=Low on tooth

If your backlash is at .008..then you can read the pattern as follows:

High On Tooth(Heel)-Increase pinoon shim thickness

Low On Tooth(Toe)-Decrease pinion shim thickness

What pinion shim do you have in it now? With 3.23's usually a 29/30 will put you in the ballpark.Just adjust from there.

I rarely check pinion depth.The pattern will tell you what to do.
Heel= Towards outside of the ring gear
Toe= Towards the center of the ring gear
If your pattern is heavy toe you remove shim, heavy heel you add shim to the pinion. The bottom of the tooth is called the root, the top, well just the top(topland). There are many ways to adjust pattern, but some people say to just measure and set your pinion depth and adjust backlash to get the desired pattern, some wil even go as low as .005 backlash(I like AT LEAST .008, preferably .010). A shim in the .030 range will usually get you right there, with the majority being between .028 and .032. Just clarifying your terminology.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by IMKMFAST
i measured the old one and put a new one in, it was 32