Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need Anyone who has... Broken their Driveshaft or C5 Torque Tube...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Anyone who has... Broken their Driveshaft or C5 Torque Tube...

Nice puppy thrown in with the blown C5 tranny, why not.. I hold all the breakage records anyhow, LOL!!
Seriously tho, how many have broken their TQ tubes? I have obviously. What would cause one to fail? If the tranny blows up bad or a tranny gear seizes, would that brake the TQ tube? Would a grabby clutch contribute? No complaints about my Kevlar holding..

Another important thing, how would a failed TQ Tube impact the disc hub? Might it cause damage? What should I look for on the TQ tube as to how it failed to determine if their might might clutch disc/hub damage? Hard to get at the bellhousing with the headers on. So.. trying to guess.

If the new TQ Tube spline aligns and fits the disc ok, should I be able to assume everything is ok? Driveshaft comparisons to TQ Tube are ok.

FWIW, Hydraulics & PP feel ok. Mech visual inspect of disc hub thru bellhousing 'said' it looked ok. Hmm.. But Now is the time to do something with the clutch if needed. Not popular with my mech as to the headers will attract attn to the warranty work.

Thx!
Old 12-06-2001, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Need Anyone who has... Broken their Driveshaft or C5 Torque Tube...

Man what bad luck. I've never heard of one failing!
Old 12-06-2001, 02:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Need Anyone who has... Broken their Driveshaft or C5 Torque Tube...

https://ls1tech.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=17&t=000011

This is another discussoion that I have going about this subject.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

I have a friend that is on his 3rd. He is making 630rwhp w/ a P1SC@10.5psi and stock LS6 w/ meth. He has also been through a rear and a T56. Still stock half shafts though
I think his last one went out because the pilot berring shattered, not the other way around.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

6 years old.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

547 rwhp and ours broke never had slicks on it. There was a updated one that came out. It was either 2000 or 2001 it came out. I put a Mcleod twin and put a m-12 in after that and no problems, Someone made a aftermarket one but I don't remember who talk on corvette forums they will know. Still have a spare t-56. High mark up on these Transmasters (In Lawerence KS,)was getting me one for retail like $2500 and friend employee purchased mine for less than half be careful. K.C. how much power on p1 stock ls6?????? You might have a new world record!! That is a amazing amount of boost on a p1. I am not calling you a liar like you called me on another board. But??????? The guys at pro charger are saying, I could get close to that, and he has a vette with more driveline loss?????

Last edited by js2fst; 12-24-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds bad guys...glad to have a driveshaft. Its cheaper when they break I think.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

And got rid electronic throttle sensors, that went out on ours and went wide open on a 40 degree day.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Teching In

I've been having nothing but bad luck with my torque tube. I've been through three of them already, and we still dont know why. I'm barely making 330rwhp, and use the LG aluminum coupler in the rear. Everytime i barely get on it i can hear this metal on metal dropping noise, like a sprung bearing or something. The last time the tube failed the input shaft seized inside the pilot bearing somehow... What could cause these problems?!?

Quick Reply: Need Anyone who has... Broken their Driveshaft or C5 Torque Tube...