Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

not exactly a good thing to see

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default not exactly a good thing to see

i was driving the car a few days ago and heard a sqweak coming from the rear. drove back to the house, shut her down, looked under the car and saw this!!

needless to say im not in a good mood about this. what could cause this and what steps should be taken to get it fixed. i've called strange and they told me it looked like i need a new axle bearing, then they said i needed a new seal. then they told me when i painted it i may have covered the vent on the rear. where is the vent so i can check to see if that is the problem...i didnt even know there was a vent! this rear is only 2 months old and im sick of **** breaking on my ******* car. i drive it evryday to school and now its gonna sit in the damn garage for no less then 2 weeks because everything in FL takes forever. i have to get this fixed and i hope its covered under a warranty. it seems like everything i buy breaks. im cursed. lemme know what ya'll think i should do. thanks and sorry for the rant - matt
Old 11-02-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Well first of all, that sucks you're having such bad luck with your car, but don't worry things are bound to get better. Second, it looks like your axle tube seal is gone, but that is an easy fix. All you have to do is remove the wheel, brake caliper, rotor, and axle on that side. You should be able to see the seal, remove it with a flathead screwdriver, then tap in the new one with a flat piece of wood and a hammer. Then just put everything back together. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Krab is right

Make sure you check the bearing and bearing surface on the axle before you reinstall. Also, inspect the seal and see if you can see any damage that woudl cause it to leak.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

so after diggin in further over the last ******* month i finally found what the source of the leak was.....

you can see the missing nut on the right and the loose nut on the left. the only one which was torqued right was the top left. also there was no top right...not sure if there needed to be one, but it didnt look necessary. what do you guys think? sorry bout the pix-best i could do
Old 11-19-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

btw...strange rearend first driven on in late august...never run at the strip. pisses me off a little when you pay $2800 to get a part that breaks in 2 months...i hope strange fixes this quick. 3 weeks without a car when you are in college and live off campus is not easy!!
Old 11-19-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I still don't know why that would cause it to leak ??
Old 11-19-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

the whole break assembly was loose from the axle tube... the fluid was coming from the bolts
Old 11-19-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The bolts have nothing to do with the fluid, they only hold the brakes on. In your third pic it looks like the seal is bad.

If you take the axle out you will see what I am talking about.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

how do i go about doing this then? if i have to do anything with those bolts how do get in there to loosen/tighten them?
Old 11-19-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

I'm almost positive the source of your leak is your axle tube seal that is bad. Here is a pretty detailed write-up that I used when swapping out my busted carrier, only thing is you won't have to deal with all the back-lash and pinion depth. Just get up to the part where they pull the axles out and then you will see the seal in the axle tube. Replace it and see if it is still leaking. This will also give you room to tighten those bolts you're talking about while you have the axle out.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/axletech/

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

thanks im gonna see what strange says then probablly tear into it after the holidays. what kinda tools am i lookin at for removing the c-clips?? also i figured it would be a good idea to get a pen magnet or somethin yea?
Old 11-19-2005, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that thick c clip will fall out if its facing right, but yes a pen magnet will help. good luck man. i would just go ahead and do it yourself if you have a good variety of tools. i've replacid axel bearings and seals. its not too hard and its good experience.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can pull the c-clips off with a pair of needle nose pliers if they stick a little.

BTW, do you know for sure that you have c-clip axles ? Some 12 bolts are fitted with c-clip eliminaters, in which case you don't have to take the pumpkin cover off.

You can get at the bolts to tighten them by removing the rotor (which you have done) and then removing the parking brake shoe. Just pry up on the shoe using a screwdriver resting on the axle flange, it will pop right off. Then you can get at the bolts easy. That won't fix your seal problem though.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

is there anywhere where i can find a step by step instructions on the strange rear assembly....its a little different then the one in Krab's link. the internals on the differential is different, becasue it has 4 springs inside under pressure. what do i do about these??
Old 11-20-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

and also when i removed the cross-pin, two round thin discs fell out and i've been trying to figure out where they go...its bothering the crap outa me cause i can figure where the damn things go or figure out how to get them back in. ill post a pic of what they look like. i believe they have a hole in the center of them that is the same diameter as the cross-pin.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

Old 11-20-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

any ideas??
Old 11-21-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

come on guys.....i havent had my car for a month and in goin nuts driving my roommates ranger. who knows shere these bitches go
Old 11-22-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

need some help here....anything!!!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 06:59 PM
Banned

those are thrust washers for the pinion gears....carefully silde them back in over the top of each pinion gear then insert the pinion shaft to hold them and the gears ijn place...then install the pinion shaft pin.