Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana
View Poll Results: Strange or Moser 12 bolt?
Strange
44.26%
Moser
45.08%
Other - please explain who, where, and why???
10.66%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Strange or Moser 12 bolt???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Strange or Moser 12 bolt???

I have been pricing then and got some really good prices, but now I need to try to make a descision on which one to go with.

Where I was quoted the price for the Moser stated that it comes disassembled, but that is all I got from them. they also said the Strange came assembled but you have to pull it apart again to put your brake stuff on. But the guy that quoted me the price on the Strange said I wouldn't have to do anythign sor the caliper mounting brackets.

I have read a lot of bad stuff about the moser rears and how Moser has some pretty bad QC and tolerances on these things. But on the other hand I have also heard that the Moser was stronger. Most guys say that the Moser will Whine more then the Strange, but if it comes disasembled then wouldn't that be the fault of the one who set it up? With the Strange unit there is no need for modifications to the T/A bolts or a different D-shaft. The Strange has a 3" OD axle tube, yet the Moser has a 3.5", does that add weight to the Moser?

What would you get if you had the choice of the 2 for almost the same price?
Old 03-31-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strage S60
Old 04-01-2006, 05:30 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
I have been pricing then and got some really good prices, but now I need to try to make a descision on which one to go with.

Where I was quoted the price for the Moser stated that it comes disassembled, but that is all I got from them. they also said the Strange came assembled but you have to pull it apart again to put your brake stuff on. But the guy that quoted me the price on the Strange said I wouldn't have to do anythign sor the caliper mounting brackets.

I have read a lot of bad stuff about the moser rears and how Moser has some pretty bad QC and tolerances on these things. But on the other hand I have also heard that the Moser was stronger. Most guys say that the Moser will Whine more then the Strange, but if it comes disasembled then wouldn't that be the fault of the one who set it up? With the Strange unit there is no need for modifications to the T/A bolts or a different D-shaft. The Strange has a 3" OD axle tube, yet the Moser has a 3.5", does that add weight to the Moser?

What would you get if you had the choice of the 2 for almost the same price?
* A Moser 12 bolt comes with the center unit completely assembled and installed. The axles are shipped loose, and are completely installed from the ends of the housing. You do not need to remove the center cover for any reason. The axles are shipped loose, as you have to reuse the brake backing plates from your old rear. Instructions are included, and you have to have access to a press to install the axle bearings. Most Napa's and small machine shops have a press, as do some homeowners...

* The Moser axle tubes are 3.00" in diameter, as are the Moser 9 inch axle tubes.

* The Moser rears can reuse the original driveshaft. You will need a hybrid U Joint, Napa pn# 240-0447 to convert from the 1310 driveshaft yoke to the Mosers beefier 1350.

* The Moser rears are ready to ship two days after the order is received. A Strange rear is at least three weeks. Bob
Old 04-01-2006, 07:08 AM
NXZ
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Listen to Bob, he knows what he is talking about. Bob form EPP says the turn around time is truly beneficial with a Mosier rear end. Although, I have gone through 2 Mosier 12 bolts, one had hard spots in the gears, the other Mosier themselves put in and forgot to tighten the Control Arms. Mosier and I have separated ways and I am going to try Strange S60 it should be here by the middle of April. I sucks because my car has been down for 2 weeks now. Oh, ya and I am a very impatient person anyways.

They are both make a great rear-end. As soon as I get my Strange S60 installed I will post the differences between the two that I notice in this section. Good luck with your choice
Old 04-01-2006, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

I have read a lot of bad stuff about the moser rears and how Moser has some pretty bad QC and tolerances on these things. But on the other hand I have also heard that the Moser was stronger. Most guys say that the Moser will Whine more then the Strange, but if it comes disasembled then wouldn't that be the fault of the one who set it up?

I think you answered you own question for yourself, right??

Also, the difference in tube size will add some weight. You can knock 40-45lbs off the assembly if you go 2 to 2 1/2 inches shorter on each side when you order the assembly. This will also allow you to stuff bigger meats in your fender wells. Need to figure all that out before you order.
I would suggest you talk to Steve at SJM Manufacturing (sjmmanufacturing.com) about a strange rearend, he is very good at covering all the options and asking you the right questions.
Good luck.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mvonada
I would suggest you talk to Steve at SJM Manufacturing (sjmmanufacturing.com) about a strange rearend, he is very good at covering all the options and asking you the right questions.
Good luck.
Funny you say that...

He's the one I'm thinking about getting the Strange from if I decide to go that direction. He is a damn good guy to talk to, but when looking around other guys really pushed the Moser and got me to the delema I am in now, plus the guy quoted me the Moser at about $25 less then what Steve quoted for the strange. The other downfall is I live in the same state as Steve and need to pay more tax on the strange from him over the Moser from another company...

So in other words I am trying to see what other guys did/think and if I should spend a little more by going with Steve and the Stange rear...
Old 04-01-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Billingsley is a great option for Strange 12-bolts. They can hook you up with brand new backing plates, parking brakes, reluctor rings for 4-channel, already installed, so all you have to do is remove the 10-bolt and put the 12-bolt in.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this may be stupid, but why not just order the rear end from stange or moser. that what i was going to do just order my rear from strange.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:52 PM
wrencher

Can you bolt up a stock sway bar w/stock hardware to a moser?
Does the moser have brake line clips on the housing? No to both.

The little things go a long way IMO, a strange is basically a bolt in.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tboysen00
this may be stupid, but why not just order the rear end from stange or moser. that what i was going to do just order my rear from strange.
Because for the most part you would only pay list price, no negotiation, if you get it elsewhere you can get discounts on it or other things depending on the dealer...

The guy that quoted me the Moser also has other things to do on my car that is already scheduled, and he was going to get me the Moser at a very little over his cost, a decent amount less then list price. That's why people sometimes don't go directly with the manufacturer...
Old 04-02-2006, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

Funny you say that...

He's the one I'm thinking about getting the Strange from if I decide to go that direction. He is a damn good guy to talk to, but when looking around other guys really pushed the Moser and got me to the delema I am in now, plus the guy quoted me the Moser at about $25 less then what Steve quoted for the strange. The other downfall is I live in the same state as Steve and need to pay more tax on the strange from him over the Moser from another company...

So in other words I am trying to see what other guys did/think and if I should spend a little more by going with Steve and the Stange rear...
Hey John, $25 more is worth the service and advice from Steve
Old 04-02-2006, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
Strage S60
No offense but thats a real dumb idea. Granted the price seems to be cheaper fro the rear end itself, the S60 is a total pig for a rear end. It's designed mostkly for the full weight cars that are running REAL high horsepower that the basic Cast Iron centersection a Moser has would be heavier. It was a rear end they put in TRUCKS. good buy, very strong, too heavy for most F-bodies especially ones that only run 13's. If you were to go w/ a lighter rear youd want to go Moser 9 w/ strange aluminum center section, one of the Strongest most useful rears for our cars.

With either rear end you will like them, i would say shoot for something pre-assembled and go through a shop that can do the backing plates for you. If you dont want to worry about gear whine, go spool since the posi units seem to make the most noise, but w/ a spool you loose drivability.

I prefer strange due to the through torquearm bolt holes and they seem more useful to me, a bit stronger and safer. Whichever you can find for the cheapest, including assembly and installation. I say go for it, itll be your best bet.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Banned

i would go with moser all day long....
Old 04-02-2006, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
i would go with moser all day long....
BTW, Fran I never got that quote from you...
Old 04-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Banned

BTW, Fran I never got that quote from you...

i know im gonna call u today with it.....
Old 04-03-2006, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

I personally just went with a Moser, not incredibly happy with the seller, I was told it comes ready to bolt in just add oil and swap brakes. I wasnt expecting to install axles and seals and have to paint it.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Housings aren't normally painted, seals take 10 minutes (and they rather not have something crushed shile in shipping i'm sure) and do you have to install the backing plates (brakes) before you can slide the axles in?
Old 04-03-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

You only have to paint the axle tubes on the Strange 12-bolt. The housing has a dark gray crinkle finish. My Strange came with everything installed, backing plates, parking brakes, reluctor rings, seals, bearings. Plug and play.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Predator
Billingsley is a great option for Strange 12-bolts. They can hook you up with brand new backing plates, parking brakes, reluctor rings for 4-channel, already installed, so all you have to do is remove the 10-bolt and put the 12-bolt in.
I'll second that.And they are a great people to deal with.Top notch service.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Strange center section on my 9" and it has caused me nothing but heartache. I would not purchase another Strange product if they gave it to me for 1/2 price. In owning Camaros since 1968 the worst customer service I have ever experienced came from Strange. They are bastards to deal with. The only way I could get them to stand behind their warranty was to threaten to go to the Consumer Products Safety Comission. Go Moser it is built beefier anyway.

Quick Reply: Strange or Moser 12 bolt???