Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need pinion seal part number--10 bolt

Old 04-29-2006, 08:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need pinion seal part number--10 bolt

I bought two at the dealership (they had 2 different part numbers for the same thing ).

I was looking for that sticky with all the part numbers and couldn't find it. Link?

The two I have are:

1. 26026792
2. 12471523---this one is a little bigger looking.

Thanks, just trying to be a step ahead before I start to change it.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:25 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
The seal from 2001 and up has two parts. One goes on the yoke and one goes in the housing. You can pry the old one off the yoke and leave it off and use a seal from any 7.5/7.625 of ANY year for the housing. Or insist on the two piece seal.
Maybe thats why my ***** been leaking ever since I had my 4.10s put in!

So are you saying I need to use BOTH of these seals that I have???

That's shitty, I was hoping I could take one back since they both totaled like 30-40 bucks!!!!
Old 04-30-2006, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is ninetres.........I'm now more confused than before.....bump
Old 04-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Banned

OK good luck.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:25 PM
9 Second Club

Weird, this thread has been chopped up, a couple of posts are missing. Any more help?
Old 04-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Banned

I tried. Now I don't know who the hell I'm talking to so I deleted all my free help and the pictures I posted. You say you don't understand me anyway. If you can do 'intake, headers, y , magnaflow, and gears. <---1.9 60 foot.' then you should be able to figure this out or have the person who does work for you figure it out.

I said take the yoke seal off, it's the one on the right. Get a pinion seal for a 2000 camaro use that for the housing. Do a search, I asked here one night and had it figured out and together less than an hour later.

Last edited by 8a8mfh; 01-10-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:22 PM
9 Second Club

I tried. Now I don't know who the hell I'm talking to so I deleted all my free help and the pictures I posted. You say you don't understand me anyway. If you can do 'intake, headers, y , magnaflow, and gears. <---1.9 60 foot.' then you should be able to figure this out or have the person who does work for you figure it out.

I said take the yoke seal off, it's the one on the right. Get a pinion seal for a 2000 camaro use that for the housing. Do a search, I asked here one night and had it figured out and together less than an hour later.
Geez man, I appreciate your help!!!! But don't give me a hard time because I don't understand, we are all not mechanics and I have NEVER been taught about the makeup of a 10 bolt rear end! I thought this website was a place to come and ask for help on my camaro when I reached the end of my know-how, maybe you have a different understanding of it.

I do a lot of my own work, but I DID NOT install my gears. I was worried enough about the 10 bolt, and was told that the install was a critical factor, so I had a mechanic friend do it who has done many before. It seems he made a mistake, so I am doing some research to help figure out where he went wrong.

By the way there are what 70,000+ members, you can't know them all. I am Sean from Fresno and drive a 2001 SS. Hello, nice to meet you
Old 04-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Banned

I am Sean from Fresno and drive a 2001 SS. Hello, nice to meet you
And how many user names do you have, what determines which one you use?
BTW I haven't gone to school to be a mechanic, I've learned all I know from doing things myself, and until six years ago never had the internet to help.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:54 AM
9 Second Club

And how many user names do you have, what determines which one you use?
BTW I haven't gone to school to be a mechanic, I've learned all I know from doing things myself, and until six years ago never had the internet to help.
This is my only user name, which I also use on every single forum I post in.

Gotta love the internet, its here, so why not make good use of it? There were no cars 100 years ago, so according to your methodology shouldn't you be riding a horse?

Anyways, thanks for your advice, that is why I am on here.....I need it. I have learned so much from this website it isn't funny. I would love to tear my rear end apart myself and learn but this is my only car and I can not afford for it to break on me while "teaching myself".

PS--I am only 23 and soon to join the work world when I can afford a 2nd vehicle to build on my own, with no risk of being without a working automobile. I am light years ahead of many friends of mine when it comes to mechanic skills. Additionally, I am slowly establishing a nice set of tools that is necessary to do my own work. My pops is a teacher, considers cars A-->B only, and MIGHT own a hammer and a pair plyers....so I am doing this all on my own while going to school full time as well as working and paying bills.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:23 AM
Banned

Gotta love the internet, its here, so why not make good use of it? There were no cars 100 years ago, so according to your methodology shouldn't you be riding a horse?
What is that supposed to mean? Doesn't really make a lot of sense.

According to my methodology I had to go somewhere and ask someone face to face when I had something I couldn't figure out, you run into a whole bunch of ******** like that, not as easy as sitting at a computer. I don't have a problem giving people free advice but the least I expect is not be be disrespected for it.
I started working on cars before I was 16, I used to build and race go karts and dirt bikes. When I was 23 I was in the middle of a frame off restoration on a car I still own today. I joined the 'work world' when I was 16 after school and never got any financial help from anyone.
And I never said I was the best teacher in the world.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

98-99 Fbody's use the smaller pinion seal. which is part number 26026792

01-02 Fbody's use the larger pinion seal, which is part number 12471523

Looks like the 00's use either or, mine used the smaller one that the 98-99's use. I ordered both so I have a brand new '01-'02 seal (larger one) sitting here.

Ratech kit comes with the smaller pinion seal and I think they need to be advised of this situation.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JR HAWK 9

Ratech kit comes with the smaller pinion seal and I think they need to be advised of this situation.
Or just tell people to remove the second part of the original seal from the yoke.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to drag this thread back up, but does anyone have the part number to the inner part of the 01+ pinion seal? The part that rests on the yoke? Thanks.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JR HAWK 9
98-99 Fbody's use the smaller pinion seal. which is part number 26026792

01-02 Fbody's use the larger pinion seal, which is part number 12471523

Looks like the 00's use either or, mine used the smaller one that the 98-99's use. I ordered both so I have a brand new '01-'02 seal (larger one) sitting here.

I wonder if that has something to do with why my seal is leaking after getting replaced last night. The seal I took off looked different than the one I replaced it with. The dealer had replaced it like 2 or 3 times when the car was under warranty. I wonder if they replaced it with a newer seal at one time. I will have to look into this. I was PISSED yesterday when I was cleaning up and saw the rear dripping fluid when I just replaced the seal!!
Old 06-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Banned

My car always had a wet housing since I got it at 22,000 miles.
The picture below is the fourth seal with 800 miles. I got rid of the new style two piece, used the old style, all the others would make the housing damp sometimes without even driving it. This is a CR seal with red loctite around the lip.

Last edited by 8a8mfh; 01-10-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
I wonder if that has something to do with why my seal is leaking after getting replaced last night. The seal I took off looked different than the one I replaced it with. The dealer had replaced it like 2 or 3 times when the car was under warranty. I wonder if they replaced it with a newer seal at one time. I will have to look into this. I was PISSED yesterday when I was cleaning up and saw the rear dripping fluid when I just replaced the seal!!

Well after killing 2 replacement seals, I learned that GM put a sleeve on the pinion that needed to be taken off before re-installing the pinion with these replacement seals. That is what was chewing up the inner rubber ring on my new seals. That sleeve was too big to fit through the rubber inner diameter. I ended up taking it to a local performance shop and he got me fixed right up. Great guy, and simple fix now that I know. I have been watching under my car daily and so far everything is still dry so I think my pinion leak has been resolved, at least for now.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
Well after killing 2 replacement seals, I learned that GM put a sleeve on the pinion that needed to be taken off before re-installing the pinion with these replacement seals. That is what was chewing up the inner rubber ring on my new seals. That sleeve was too big to fit through the rubber inner diameter. I ended up taking it to a local performance shop and he got me fixed right up. Great guy, and simple fix now that I know. I have been watching under my car daily and so far everything is still dry so I think my pinion leak has been resolved, at least for now.
See post #6, sometimes I feel posting pictures and help in general is a waste of time, this proves it. Thanks I'll spend my free time doing other things.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

See post #6, sometimes I feel posting pictures and help in general is a waste of time, this proves it. Thanks I'll spend my free time doing other things.
I saw that picture, but didn't realize the one on the right was the sleeve on the pinion. For some reason, it didn't click at the time. Now it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info, I know what it all is now..... I guess I just had to relearn your lesson the hard way. But normally I don't miss things like that so I am a little miffed at myself here. Oh well, the car is back on the road! And I can finally drive it again!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need pinion seal part number--10 bolt