Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 12bolt...gears loose when i got it..?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moser 12bolt...gears loose when i got it..?

i purchased a moser 12 bolt, and right out of the box there was play with the pinion yoke twistin it back and forth. now after 1000 miles on it, with my hand i can twist the driveshaft back and forth, and theres alot of play before the pinion gear engages with the ring gear. it feels like the gears were set up too loose. when i drive u can hear a clunk when the gears engage after i release the clutch and also when i tap the throttle over and over. bottom line...the gears are loose and they shouldnt f###ing be like that when u spend $2300 for it to be assembled......any input on why or how this is....and what i should do?
Old 05-28-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would call and tell them the problem , get video of the clunking , get warrante replacement and beer money for you to pull and replace
Old 05-29-2006, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Backlash should be .005"-.009" between the ring gear and the pinion gear.........
Old 05-29-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

There is supposed to be 'play'. You can measure it yourself with a dial indicator gauge. When you grab it by the driveshaft and move it, it feels a lot worse than it really is. I bet it is fine.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

i kno there is supposed to be sum play, but man theres alot. way more than the old 10 bolt, and u can hear the gears clunk when they engage while shifting. when i move the driveshaft back and forth with my hand it makes the same noise as when im driving. also when in first gear at dead stop...when i let out the clutch, u can hear the gears engagin as the car starts to move. i dont kno, if its not the gears being to loose then its def sumthin in the driveline. im gonna take it to a shop and have them check the gears and driveline and see if everythings set up properly. thanks
Old 05-29-2006, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

oh yea, and theres def more than .005-.009 inch of backlash, i can turn the driveshaft a good amount with it not engagin. i guess i have to get it checked and see if the gears were set up loose. just to be safe
Old 05-29-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

I really don't think there is anything wrong with the car.

When the cover is off and you put your hand on the ring gear and move it back and forth, it will seem a lot less than when you grab the driveshaft and do it.

Element just posted a thread like this thinking a u-joint had gone bad...my car makes the same noise, IMO it's just the way it is.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

maybe theres nuthin wrong. im just a lil paranoid. its louder than it was at first, the whine is louder and constantly all the time. also when in nuetral while decellarating, u hear a small clunk noise in sync with the speed of the car as it slows down. i was told by driveline solutions that the tru trac differential is a lil sloppy and could cause the extra loose feeling. do u think it would be safe to still get the backlash checked...and have the gears coated with that gear paint to check the wear pattern on the teeth?
Old 05-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by keliente
I really don't think there is anything wrong with the car.

When the cover is off and you put your hand on the ring gear and move it back and forth, it will seem a lot less than when you grab the driveshaft and do it.

Element just posted a thread like this thinking a u-joint had gone bad...my car makes the same noise, IMO it's just the way it is.
I agree, the extra slop is from the diff, not the ring and pinion. Backlash is measured at the ring gear with the cover off and the driveshaft or pinion held stationary.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by robsmith9798
do u think it would be safe to still get the backlash checked...and have the gears coated with that gear paint to check the wear pattern on the teeth?
I really don't think it is necessary, but whatever helps you sleep at night.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

My rear does the same thing no big deal. If i started to worry about every noise that came from my car I would never stop worrying.

Quick Reply: Moser 12bolt...gears loose when i got it..?