Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What do you torque your lug nuts to? (Moser problem)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 10:11 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What do you torque your lug nuts to? (Moser problem)

I just got my new moser 12-bolt in last weekend (5-21) sunday and torqued all the lug nuts to 100 ft-lbs. Three days later (wednesday 5-24) I re-torqued them to 100 ft-lbs. Well, this last friday (5-26) all 5 studs on my pass. side rear broke off, and one of them broke off on my drivers side. My p/s rear wheel went flying off on the highway as I was cruising at 65-70 mph. I wasn't getting on it or anything. In fact, I was on the way to the track and God only knows what kind of carnage could have arose had this happened at double the speed it did Total damage was just over $1400 and thats not including the caliper which is grinded down a little now, or any of the paint/ body work (inside the fender well, and a little on the bottom of the rear side skirt), and not any of the labor is included in that either.

So first thing thismorning I called Moser and talked to Shane and he said the reason they broke was that they were overtightened Apparently "industry standard" is 80-85 ft-lbs

So I guess for the 9 years I've been driving and torquing lug nuts to 100 ft-lbs I've been doing it completely wrong

Im going to have the studs tested at a lab for strength and hardness. I think I got a bad batch of studs. Moser would not give me the name or number of their manufacturer, only that they are grade 8. That should be enough info to compare against tho.

I'm going to have an attourney send Moser a letter also since there is nowhere in their instructions directions to torque the lug nuts to 80-85 ft-lbs. Heres to you Moser
Old 05-30-2006, 10:14 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock torque is 100 Ft Lbs.
I have had bad batches of necked lugs B-4 too. They caused all kinds of problems.
Broke front & rear ARP studs. Where you using OE lugs or other?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your problem with a stock fastener size or something different ??

If it is a stock sized fastener...... the dry torque is 100 ftlbs. as per the GM service manual..... and further related to in the 'fastener notice' in the caution and notice section of that same manual.

It sounds like junk fasteners were used in the assembly of what you purchased (color me surprised )

FWIW, having an attourney send Moser a letter will net you nada. It is covered very well in their 'blanket disclaimer'. You are better of giving the Better Business B a phone call and telling them the story.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:58 AM

The lug nuts I was using were for the CCW wheels. They worked great on my stock 10-bolt. Thanks for the info guys
Old 05-31-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you know anyone at American, they can maybe get the bolts dye pen'd or magnufluxed. $.02
Old 05-31-2006, 10:12 AM

Well, I am shipping a few to Moser and they are going to test them. I am also probably going to have some independantly tested here locally in a lab for legitimacy purposes. I have access to a hardness tester at OSU, but I think an independant lab would look better if this matter happens to go further into a legal process.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A hardness tester is good. but won't test for cracks or internal metal problems or irregularities(mfg'r. process).Dye pen will get into ANY cracks in the bolt and expose them under a black light.
You could try a better grade wheel bolt also.F.W.I.W.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:14 PM

Well, I now have ARP hardened studs in it. Don't want to take that risk anymore...
Old 06-05-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

45-60-85 all in a star pattern

Quick Reply: What do you torque your lug nuts to? (Moser problem)