Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My experience w/ Strange Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slmdLS1
here is my other option...ill baby it and sacrifice a few tenths(if i even see a track as much) rather than bust $2300+ of my hard earned cash on some shitty rear that the company that builds them loses interest as soon as my "check clears" and my rear is out of their doors.
These 12-bolts are not shitty rearends. The stock 10-bolts are though.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Predator
These 12-bolts are not shitty rearends. The stock 10-bolts are though.

the parts themselves are probably quality products, i guess i meant the shitty/careless assembly of said products.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
My stock 10 bolt whined with the stock 3:42s. Most of the Strange failures that I know of (several guys in my club) were the Eaton posi. Maybe with the new True Trac out it'll be a lil more stout. I haven't heard of many 12 bolt failures with a spool.
yea, nothing is fool-proof. i'm comparing the average noise an OEM 10-bolt makes compared to a moser or strange 12-bolt. it's not even close, the 10-bolt is a much quieter ride. like posted above, they're good rears with good compononets. they just must have stevie wonder setting up the gears in the back. you'd think they did by all the gear howl complaints.

either way, once i get a good job and a different car, i'll make this one my toy and i'm sure a 12-bolt will be in my future.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My original Strange center section whined so loud at highway speed the car could only be driven 4-5 minutes. The noise was unbearable.The iron filings after 3 gear oil changes in 1,000 miles filled a teaspoon. After threatening to sue Strange, they rebuilt the unit, only to have the carrier bearing freeze up from being over tightened, and the car would not move. The local shop that finally rebuilt the pumpkin the right way said none of the parts looked like they initially were defective, but that a idiot installed them.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bigdsz
My original Strange center section whined so loud at highway speed the car could only be driven 4-5 minutes. The noise was unbearable.The iron filings after 3 gear oil changes in 1,000 miles filled a teaspoon. After threatening to sue Strange, they rebuilt the unit, only to have the carrier bearing freeze up from being over tightened, and the car would not move. The local shop that finally rebuilt the pumpkin the right way said none of the parts looked like they initially were defective, but that a idiot installed them.
That's amazing to say the least. Strange must have both idiots and experts in the same building.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:05 AM
Launching!

This thread is a good read.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:17 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Tobynine9
This thread is a good read.
...Taken with a grain of salt.

It shows that on occasion, manufactures can have trouble with quality control (nothing new). Regarding Strange Engineering (SE), it does not show that this control is in the hands of SE exclusively.

SE does not manufacture all of their components of which they assemble. The most common complaint appears to be gear noise. Gears are manufactured by a variety of companies of which have their own tolerance levels and QC. Certainly set-up can have an impact.

On an assumption that SE installers have the equipment as well as experience, they should be able to setup a gear-set to specification. More then likely better then most who are inexperienced or repairing/building a rear-end on a one-time basis or limited basis. As previously discussed, different gear-sets due to materials, thickness and design have different harmonic frequencies. As a result, gear noise may be slightly different of which resonating frequencies change.

Can employees have a bad day, or rushing on a job, certainly. Do mistakes happen? Of course, as it appears to have with a few customers here. There are always two sides to a story of which we have not heard the other side.

From all the complaints in here, there is one fact that seems to be overlooked. …SE appears to be working (or have worked) with the customers to rectify that customer’s situation the best they could. THIS is what is important, as things to happen in a not-so-perfect world. You can’t satisfy everyone...some folks may expect noise levels stay exactly the same or less then a completely different component or design just because they spent 2000.00. Once again, tolerance levels are different for different folks. Different designs using different components more then likely will not have the same results.

I think I've discussed enough in here at this point...lol Have a great day guys!
Old 07-06-2006, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

I agree with what was said by ChocoTaco.. for $2300+ you shouldnt fear anything when purchasing a rear end. My main thing was when you order a rear from a vendor... Moser or Strange.. its normally a mass produced slapped together unit. Just like anything you buy these days, when they are mass produced there is more chance for error. With as big as Strange and Moser are its of no surprise that there are stories about people being **** on.

I was pleasantly surprised by a response from Scott @ DLS in PMs... apparently he builds all the rear ends he sells in house. Meaning his passion for these things and obviously professional workmanship goes into the rear end youre purchasing, this is based on the word of many here who have dealt with Scott. Not to mention if something is to go wrong.. you know whos hands built the thing and you can talk to that person specifically.

From what I hear, if you want the bullet proof rear end and you are looking for good customer service... along with a rear end that is hand assembled by someone who knows whats going on and actually gives a damn about his customers, give your business to DLS. He seems to have a strong following here.

Those things I just mentioned about Scott and DLS will curb a LOT of the fears I have about purchasing a $2300+ rear end. Theyll be getting my S60 order very soon.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:48 AM
Tech Resident

^^^i agree.

i hope my 10 bolt will last a long time as i have an auto, 2.73's, am mostly stock, don't beat the car, run street tires and will hardly ever see any track time, but if it does blow and a 12-bolt in my future, just from this post alone, scott seems like a standup guy to go with and if he sets them up in house rather than the mass produced idiots, i think he'd be a good place to research.

all the vendors on this site seem pretty good for the most part, always putting in their input. i'd be going for the vendors that set up the rear THEMSELVES instead of letting moser/strange set it up. with moser and strange, it seems like they use quality parts put together by quality idiots. if scott was building my rear with the quality parts, i'd feel 10 times more at rest that i was getting good parts put together RIGHT, and that is the most important thing!
Old 07-06-2006, 11:18 AM
7 Second Club

well it goes like this... when you start modding any car and putting race car parts on a street car its not ever gonna be the same.....

race car parts will be loud.... rearend whine is not normally heard because most people that use them have loud exhaust/headers and no sound deadening...

i have a 12bolt moser and couldnt be happier... its a

2002 z28 with 12 bolt moser 4.10s, 28'' DR's, 6pnt CM roll bar, fire system, 408, procharged, FMIC, and bogart D10 rear wheels (fronts soon to come steve along with some STRANGE suspension and front brakes)

the bottom line is you putting race car parts on a street car... its gonna be loud... there may be 5% of the rearends that dont make noises but thats prolly because no one beat on them at the track..... i cant hear my rear but thats because a dynomouth exhaust and LT headers are filling the inside of my race car.....

i hear many people talking about rearend noises or little pops and creaks from suspension parts or chassis parts....

Its because race car parts are for race cars

if you want you car to be quiet and subtle and easy to drive steer clear of performance mods..... the drivability will get worse... theres just no way around it.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:20 AM
7 Second Club

/rant end/

sorry if that was harsh but i dont like ******* vendors just becuase the parts make a little sound or whine... its just part of it.... get some headers and straight exhaust... youll never here after that
Old 07-06-2006, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
well it goes like this... when you start modding any car and putting race car parts on a street car its not ever gonna be the same.....

race car parts will be loud.... rearend whine is not normally heard because most people that use them have loud exhaust/headers and no sound deadening...

i have a 12bolt moser and couldnt be happier... its a

2002 z28 with 12 bolt moser 4.10s, 28'' DR's, 6pnt CM roll bar, fire system, 408, procharged, FMIC, and bogart D10 rear wheels (fronts soon to come steve along with some STRANGE suspension and front brakes)

the bottom line is you putting race car parts on a street car... its gonna be loud... there may be 5% of the rearends that dont make noises but thats prolly because no one beat on them at the track..... i cant hear my rear but thats because a dynomouth exhaust and LT headers are filling the inside of my race car.....

i hear many people talking about rearend noises or little pops and creaks from suspension parts or chassis parts....

Its because race car parts are for race cars

if you want you car to be quiet and subtle and easy to drive steer clear of performance mods..... the drivability will get worse... theres just no way around it.
I agree %100. I'm sick of whiney B#@ches complaing about a lil gear whine.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Avengeance
Those things I just mentioned about Scott and DLS will curb a LOT of the fears I have about purchasing a $2300+ rear end. Theyll be getting my S60 order very soon.
Scott will put together a Strange D60? i havent pm'd him in a while....that may relieve some of my quality control, customer service, and assembly fears if so...
Old 07-06-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm when I ordered my moser for my 94 z28 it was a pain in the ***. It was shipped on time, but shipped without the shims I needed. I called to find out if I could get some and they told me I never placed an order with them. So I just got them made by someone, the thing never fit right, the rear driver side caliper was scrapping the rotor, this could have just been a fluke issue, I mean people make mistakes, but I figured Id throw an opinion on the other guys out there.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
I agree %100. I'm sick of whiney B#@ches complaing about a lil gear whine.
what about severe gear whine? because that's what most people in this thread are talking about. if your gears whine to the point where it interferes with conversation, wouldn't you bitch since you spent $2,500 for the rear installed?

i'm tired of people defending companies that produce a poor product when large sums of money was spent just because they're brand cheerleaders. that's what i'm sick of.

no one is talking about "a lil gear whine". any gears make noise if you listen hard enough and your exhaust is quiet. they're talking about howling because idiots whose job is to build these rears can't set up gears right.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:25 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slmdLS1
Scott will put together a Strange D60? i havent pm'd him in a while....that may relieve some of my quality control, customer service, and assembly fears if so...
This was the email I recd' after PMing Scott about a S60 for my car, I specifically asked him if he pops the back cover off the S60s when he gets them to check tolerances. This is what I got back:

Hello Nick, my assemblies start out at $2325.00 with those optoins you are asking for. I am about 2 weeks back logged right now for assemblies. I set up everything I sell and nothing is assembled outside of my shop. Driveshafts are $345.00 shipped and are good for 1000hp.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:04 PM
7 Second Club

i know its sapose to be assembled but any thing i get like a motor (unless its from Fulton or someone like that) or a rearend i always take it apart and have it put back together by someone i know who is a expert not just a certified mechanic... some one who knows drag cars and motors....
Old 07-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

SJM man you really got some time on your hands lol, i mean geez you got like 5 chapters to a novel written already! Im not raggin on you its just you wrote alot! But of all this bs with gear noise from the compaines that is why i have chosen to have scott at driveline solutions build my rear! I got two cars a nova that runs 9's with a 12 bolt and i drive to and from car shows with a full spool and it sounds like a stock rear, meaning no noise! I know it has to be making some but i cant hear it. It launches at 6k on a brake so you know its being beat on. The rear in my camaro now makes more noise than it and its a 10 bolt lol. Built right it should not make alota noise. Think about buying a motor for 15k lets say and it has nasty valvetrain noise on startup wouldnt you be mad because someone didn't adjust the valves right? Now its agreed after time yea it may or may not loosen up and start to develop a whine its gonna happen valves start ticking rods are thrown gears will whine. But if i am going to buy a rearend you damn right im gonna be mad and "pissy" if its whining the first time out hell even if it makes noise after 10 launches! Now there is that personal threshold of noise you can deal with mine being high i wouldnt mind the noise its just it would agrivate me to hear it and know it was not put together right! My brother used to work at a machine shop that built the components for strange's IRS rear-end. If you could see whats rejected you would know its not the part its how its put together, they would throw away peices with tolerances off by .004 thats being very picky! But I am more than happy to give my buisness to someone whom i know will do the job right (from many happy customer referals and not one disgruntled post that i have seen) and mostly whom is not a big company seeking better numbers on their quarterly reports. Strange components are top of the line as are moser too id have to say but its all in the way their put together. And i'd be po'd also if i got that run around from strange!

Last edited by Blackmagic65ss; 07-07-2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Im not mad about the gear noise from my strange 12 bolt.Its the fact that the posi lasted 10 passes before it broke last night that has me a little upset.I will call Strange on monday morning to see what they have to say.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:48 PM
9 Second Club

i have a moser 9" an i love it, it does make noise but its a 9" and my car is gutted so i cant complain. Moding street cars with race car parts can be a pain in the *** but when everything is done it will all be worth it

Quick Reply: My experience w/ Strange Engineering