Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" install guide!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moser 9" install guide!

Just kidding, you won't find one here. That brings me to my question: I've got this nice brand new Moser 9" sitting here in my kitchen, taking up space.

How do I put this thing in?!

I searched, and can't find a single install guide for it. Does anyone have a comprehensive (step by step, socket sizes, whatnot) for installing it? Thanks!
Old 07-19-2006, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

yap, I definatley never found one. You getting beyond the realm of "bolt ons". Just give it a shot and when you get stuck you know where the search button is.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Problem is, this is my DD. I want it to be down for as little time as possible, so I'd at least like to know all the tools involved in the process. Spring compressors? Torque arm specs? Things like that.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Launching!

Do you have a completely stock suspension? Does the new rear have backing plates on it already or will you need to put yours on? That will be the hardest part. If you don't have a press you'll have to take is somewhere to press yours off and put them on the new axles. After that is self explanitory, you don't need any tools but a few metric wrenches and sockets. Put a jack under the rear and unbolt everything. After you unbolt the shocks, the rear will lower down and the shocks just fall out.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good to hear, thanks Dan! Yes, its a stock suspension. The backing plates was something I was worried about. Looks like this will be a multi-day project, unless my garage has a press lying around.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea other then the backing plates, it's just take the old one out...put the new one in. if memory serves me correctly 85% of the bolts under it are 21mm or something like that..there's a few other larger and smaller ones as well though.

i had to grind the torque arm mount a little on mine to make my BMR Torque Arm fit on it. i don't know about the stock one though?

Also, does your new rear have the sway bar mounting brackets on it already? if not, you're gonna have to get some (BMR sells them) and get 'em welded on!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If by sway bar brackets you mean clamps, yes I have those.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

I just used 3" exhaust clamps for my sway bar. I had to oblong the stock sway bar mount to fit the u - bolts. I didn't have to grind the mount for the torque arm with the stock arm, I had to grind it to fit with the strange S case though. Have the rings pressed on for you then you have to have the backing plates pressed on somewhere. Make sure they press the right backing plate on the right side other wise you have to spend $60 for a new bearing and wedding ring. Passenger side (right) is the longer axle. I would put something on the drain plug because that's the only thing that is leaking on my rear. This was a damn good idea for the brake module thingy https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...+install+brake. You need to get about 18" of fuel line for your vent tube, 8 - 3/8 nuts and lock washers for the backing plates to axle tubes, 10-3/8 lock nuts and washers for the center section. (all fine thread) If you update to 1/2 studs you'll need 1/2 x 20 thread lug nuts.(center caps won't work anymore) You'll have to drill holes for the emergency brake brackets to fit. Take your time to paint it, I just used engine high temp paint but don't paint the gasket area. Make sure to clean the housing out because it has crap in it from moser and shipping. The center section is a heavy bitch so use a jack and a buddy to help install it. When installing the studs for the center section use axle grease on the studded part and a stack of washers the keep them straight while you ratchet them through. You'll need a conversion U joint is you go with a larger yoke (do a search to get the right napa part #). I had a problem with gaskets ripping on me so I just didn't use one. I just used rtv and it doesn't leak from the center section. That's all I can think of right now, in random order. I just finished my 9" install a few days ago and I love it cept that the damn drain plug leaks a little.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:40 AM
Staging Lane

http://www.driveline-solutions.com/s...ndinstall.html

this might help
Old 07-20-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toasty If by sway bar brackets you mean clamps, yes I have those.
no i mean the bracket that the swaybar bushing rests on...

DriveLine Solutions
Option 1
Weld on Sway Bar Brackets

If you have a mig welder and are up for the task, you can weld the brackets on. Install the sway bar with the endlinks. Mock up the brackets and mark the welding area to grind away the paint. Take out the brackets and using a grinder, grind all the paint off the area. Position the brackets in place, and tack weld it. If the position is good, then weld it in all the way. Bolt the bar into place using the stock hardware on the new bracket. Use some black paint and paint over all the welded areas to help stop rust.
Option 2
Shop Install Sway Bar Brackets

For most people, and if you dont have a welder, you need to take your car up to a shop to have them weld the sway bar brackets into place with the sway bar to position it.

Quick Reply: Moser 9" install guide!