Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" w/3 channel

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9" w/3 channel

I tryed doing a search but couldn't really find much. I am thinking of going for the 9 inch because of the M6 but I have a 3 channel rear. How many of you guys are w/out your ABS and what do you think of a daily driver w/out the ABS?
Old 07-22-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 9" in my 3 channel car. my SS was a dailey driver until just this wednesday, i finally got a little ranger to drive all the time. it's not that big of a deal i don't think. seeing how you're in arizona, i don't imagine you're gonna be bothered with snow in the winter, and it hardly rains there either so....i don't see any problems with you NOT having ABS. even in the rain i didn't have any locking up problems.

the only annoying thing is the E-Brake and the ABS INOP lights stay on. fortionatly for me, between the way i sit and where my steering wheel is, the steering wheel adjustment lever sticks out and covers up right where the ABS INOP light is, so all i see is the BRAKE light on...not a huge deal though.

i say go for the 9"!!
Old 07-22-2006, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

I say go 9". You can make the 3 channel work on it too. The one I am running now has the sensor setup for abs(3 chnl), but I dont even use it...it did work before I unplugged it though. I am probably going to switch over to my Currie rearend and get rid of fabricated unit.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS4Matt
i have a 9" in my 3 channel car. my SS was a dailey driver until just this wednesday, i finally got a little ranger to drive all the time. it's not that big of a deal i don't think. seeing how you're in arizona, i don't imagine you're gonna be bothered with snow in the winter, and it hardly rains there either so....i don't see any problems with you NOT having ABS. even in the rain i didn't have any locking up problems.

the only annoying thing is the E-Brake and the ABS INOP lights stay on. fortionatly for me, between the way i sit and where my steering wheel is, the steering wheel adjustment lever sticks out and covers up right where the ABS INOP light is, so all i see is the BRAKE light on...not a huge deal though.

i say go for the 9"!!
Mine is 3 channel too, its fine but like he said the lights in the dash annoy the sh*t out me. lol
Old 07-22-2006, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

i have a 9" and i dont like it too much. im going with a 12 bolt in the fall. Many people have told me that a 9" is more parasitic and unless youre running crazy hp a 12 bolt will be fine for an m6
Old 07-26-2006, 11:42 AM

Are there any kits out there that use ABS on 3-channel cars?

Ben T.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think Driveline Solutions has a Dana 60 with 3 channel Us 3 channel people are SOL when it comes to rears. I might just have a solid rebuild on my 10 bolt....yeah i said it lol

Dana 60 link

Last edited by 8GTOKLR; 07-26-2006 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Studytime
Are there any kits out there that use ABS on 3-channel cars?

Ben T.
The rear I am currently running has a custom toothed wheel right in front of the pig. The abs sensor has been relocated to this area to make the 3 channel abs work. I thought there were a few shops doing custom setups by moving the sensor up to the tailshaft of the transmission or something too. I dont know the exact setup shops were doing. Mine is a complete custom setup done by a local guy. ABS worked flawlessly when I had it plugged in.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will you sell the ABS setup? PM me
Old 07-26-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah Chino_man...scott@driveline is lookin into something like that right now...he was tellin me that the old LT-1 Impala SS's had a setup like that...
Old 07-26-2006, 09:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why keep trying to make ABS work for your car? Certainly, it is easily possible to change the toner gear location combined with recalibration...but what do you gain?? There really is little benifit to non-tunable ABS on a race car. When you change parameters such as braking, wheel considerations as well as tire, you completely change the OEM characteristics of how their setup reacts to stimuli. ABS tends to complain quite a bit and activate during times that you do not need nor want ABS to react.

ABS prevents you from using different combination diameter tires i.e. 27 rear and 26" fronts. Upkeep costs can become expensive. It's quite heavy to keep on the car. It does nothing for normal everyday driving. ABS is only used in extreme panic or lock-up situations where personally it really never worked well in most reactions. Straight-line it is ok, but rather poor during turns. 3 channel is even worse of a design...

...choose the rear you want, save the money from trying to adapt ABS or even considering it as an option that is available in current setups. You'll save quite a bit of weight removing all of it.

We've manufactured kits that enable you to completely eliminate the entire ABS bracket and modulator while incorporating a line lock as most important a proportioning valve which enables you to bias your brakes front/rear line pressures.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Why keep trying to make ABS work for your car? ... It does nothing for normal everyday driving. ABS is only used in extreme panic or lock-up situations ...
...choose the rear you want, save the money from trying to adapt
Why keep ABS because we don't all have "race cars"? Plenty of street cars and daily drivers make too much power for 10-bolts, but like creature comforts such as anti-lock brakes.

Only used in "lock up" situations? Yeah, and that's also when I want it to work. My insurance company and I have a problem with me crashing my car into the back of other's vehicles.

We've manufactured kits that enable you to completely eliminate the entire ABS bracket and modulator
Who saw that coming?

I can't speak for everyone who drives their car daily (often in traffic), but my ABS is staying put!

Ben T.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i must admit that iv been in a few situations where ABS has kept me from locking up and losing steering control. The ABS delete sounds like a great idea for more of the hardcore street/strip racers. I runn the car mostly on the street so ill keep ABS. I can hear my insurance company now " so you took OFF your ABS system???? ya were not covering you claim" lol
Old 07-27-2006, 04:11 AM
9 Second Club

I ditched the 3 channel ABS a long time ago. Bye bye! Not regrets. 9"
Old 07-27-2006, 06:37 AM
FormerVendor

Ben, I’m bringing attention a few considerations regarding ABS and its pros/cons. Obviously you rely on ABS quite a bit. My comments are not to tell you that you need to purchase our products. My comments were to enlighten many regarding a problem AND provide a solution for the problem. Removing it isn’t an option so you’ll need to spend whatever it takes to keep it working so you feel safe. No sense in reading further since you’re mind is made up. I do not want to waste your time.

Many folks never use ABS but think they “need” it. From discussion with many customers, many have never even felt their brakes pulse, if they did, it was when they DIDN’T want it or need it. It created more problems then helped. Look at all the posts on the board regarding ABS… some consistently have problems, creating additional headaches, costs and lost time. Many do not run the wheels or tire combos they want or purchase products i.e. rear-end that does not have this option. Why limit themselves to products that really help them meet their goals due to thinking they “need” ABS on their car.

There is a lot of misconception regarding ABS, many feel that when you disable it, you completely change the normal driving brake feeling or can tell a difference when they brake. They think their braking will feel mushy or not stop as well. This is far from the truth.

One consideration many do not think about when you guys change brakes, rotors, calipers, wheels and tires, you are changing the necessary brake bias which aids you in stopping. Utilizing ALL brakes to their maximum usage gives the user the shortest braking distances and controllability. A proportioning valve can correct these changes.

What happens when you don’t correct brake bias? When you’ve changed components, you’ve possibly now have a problem where either the fronts or rears have a tendency to lock up before the other. What does this do? Well when you brake aggressively, ABS will consistently try to correct your unbiased setup. Now you’ve got ABS working overtime and probably when you don’t want it to.

ABS has so many more negative aspects vs. positive. 3-channel ABS is ridiculously bad. Your car does not have the ability to optimally stop your car on any type of turning and stopping situations. It not only pulses braking from the wheels that are locked, but it –pulses reliving pressures on the wheel that is NOT locked.

Certainly ABS can aid in straight line stopping in shorter distances when in locked situations…When you guys start changing many aspects of the car (but still consider it a “street” car, ABS is not optimized for your setup and in many cases won’t work as intended. Now you have a false sense of security and you have an ABS system that typically activates when it doesn’t need to, or doesn’t work correctly when you need it.

If you have to rely on ABS to get you out of situations, possibly a bit of caution and defensive driving may be considered. I’m not young; I’ve had many vehicles that have not had ABS that were family everyday drivers. Surprisingly, we have survived many years without ABS perfectly fine. Can it help, sure it can, but it should not be used as a crutch to non-defensive driving.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:39 AM

I see the validity in your most, and understand where you are coming from. I, too, have had daily drivers that did not have ABS which is part of the reason I like it so much now.

What about when a semi pulls out in front of you in the rain? That's when I like my ABS the most, in the rain. It seems like a convincing argument so far, but you didn't cover this yet.

BUT for a turbo race car that does not get driven in the rain, probably a good idea.

Ben T.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:08 AM
FormerVendor

Ben,

I agree with you as well. Certainly it's not for everyone. I do think that instead of handicapping a person to the point that they cannot run the tires they would like, or run the rear-end they like or have other problems they are having, removing ABS is really the most simple solution.

My intent was not to convince everyone to remove ABS and purchase our kit. I certainly do not want to attempt to convince you of something you feel strong about and very secure having. My intent was to consider the case of instead of trying to re-invent the wheel creating something that really is not a necessity, correcting the hurdle is really rather simple.

I can tell you, ABS/TCS in my truck really is quite a nuisance. Actually, I disabled it since it seemed to activate so much it was quite annoying. When it activated, it was never during a time that I needed it and actually created a more hazardous situation for me. Would this work for you? It doesn’t sound like it.

This is nothing against you by any means so no disrespect meant in this statement...if you have needed ABS so often, then maybe you reconsider your driving habits in the rain. Myself personally, (knock on wood) have never had to rely on ABS on any car, I do drive defensively. Hitting someone in front of me was never a concern...it was the idiots behind me!! ABS doesn't resolve those issues...lol
Old 07-27-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ben,

I agree with you as well. Certainly it's not for everyone. I do think that instead of handicapping a person to the point that they cannot run the tires they would like, or run the rear-end they like or have other problems they are having, removing ABS is really the most simple solution.

My intent was not to convince everyone to remove ABS and purchase our kit. I certainly do not want to attempt to convince you of something you feel strong about and very secure having. My intent was to consider the case of instead of trying to re-invent the wheel creating something that really is not a necessity, correcting the hurdle is really rather simple.

I can tell you, ABS/TCS in my truck really is quite a nuisance. Actually, I disabled it since it seemed to activate so much it was quite annoying. When it activated, it was never during a time that I needed it and actually created a more hazardous situation for me. Would this work for you? It doesn’t sound like it.

This is nothing against you by any means so no disrespect meant in this statement...if you have needed ABS so often, then maybe you reconsider your driving habits in the rain. Myself personally, (knock on wood) have never had to rely on ABS on any car, I do drive defensively. Hitting someone in front of me was never a concern...it was the idiots behind me!! ABS doesn't resolve those issues...lol
We rely on ABS everytime we hit the brakes whether it be at 5mph or 105mph. Whens the last time you actually modualted your brake pedal in a panic stop, no one does thats why abs was implimented, yes defensive driving helps but these are sports cars. Abs has proven to decrease 60-0 times. I wonder how many people have takin off their ABS systems and then felt like they didnt have enough stopping power so went out and bought big brake kits to compensate
Old 07-27-2006, 01:39 PM
FormerVendor

Gee, I've never thought of that

We all don't rely on ABS to help us stop the car. Normal to heavy braking typically does not ever go into ABS activation. ABS is activated when the EBCM reads a variance in change in signal response that is out of the pre-set parameters (senses a variance in rotational speed with the toner wheel from the variable reluctance sensor due to variables not associated with braking as well as due lack of rotation with the wheels).

If you’d like to go into a bit of statistics, certainly from testing straight line, braking can be shorter and more controlled IF ABS is used correctly. This is TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION THAT EVERYTHING IS STOCK OEM FROM THE FACTORY. It is setup to perform to specific stimuli. When you change braking characteristics, you can throw much of that out the door. Now if you could tune your ABS to different characteristics that would be fantastic.

My solution is an easy fix that is cost effective and works very well. There are MANY benefits to removing ABS which I have addressed (in addition to ones I didn’t mention). Certainly if money was not an issue then designing a better new ABS control system would be in order. Once again, it would never be from a 3 channel setup that is for certain. …Which IS what was being discussed primarily in here.

There is opposition, statistics show that the many people in a panic situation hit the brakes hard, feel that there is something wrong with their brakes since the feel they are not stopping and feel an odd pulsing feeling on their feet. They then let OFF of the brake pedal actually making braking worse. This is a whole other topic in itself, so I’m not going into that more.

I suppose you never drove a car that did not have ABS. You obviously did not read my post too well to understand what I have said. ABS is not a crutch.

With that being said, you can stick with your stock rear-end since you can't purchase something you want. You can never change different diameter tires ,and don't ever consider changing to different caliper/rotor setup. You're pretty much stuck.

…It amazes me when someone offers a solution to a problem that there’s a wise-guy that comes in and ridicules it. I think my background and working knowledge of mechanical designs gives me at least an inkling of technical considerations.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:44 PM

This is nothing against you by any means so no disrespect meant in this statement...if you have needed ABS so often, then maybe you reconsider your driving habits in the rain. Myself personally, (knock on wood) have never had to rely on ABS on any car...
No one likes to argue with an engineer- they're always right. No offense taken in your personal attack either.

(No disrespect meant in that statement, I'm an engineer too.)

Ben T.