Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Opened up QUASAR's S60 today and found,

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opened up QUASAR's S60 today and found,

The gear pattern was showing deep, the drive was riding on the id of the gear and the coast was sharp riding on the od of the gear, backlash was perefect at .008 and we are using an OEM gear set. I will be going back in to re-shim the gear when the racing season is over and report back when we finish.
We did though get a TA cover to fit with out any contact to his tubular pan hard bar by grinding down the studs flush with the jam nuts after preload was set. We also welded on a set of relocation brakets from Spohn since his car is lowered one inch.

This just backs up my theory about the Moser 12 bolts and Strange S60 castings are soft and the pinion bore is distorting under shock loading. They must be getting their castings produced by the same manufacture since two different companies have the same issue.

Scott @ DLS
Old 09-01-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting, must be why you recommended a 9" for me... Never mind that question in my email
Old 09-01-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 178 Likes on 137 Posts

Does this mean that the S60 is not the super-rearend that we thought it was?
Old 09-01-2006, 11:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The design is fine it's the material it is casted out of. I just wish I had time to do a rockwell hardness test and compare an OEM to the aftermarkets.

When I was cuting the 8.6 center casting at AAM we used to have to hold batches back because they would just destroy our cutters, end mills, drills, reamers, taps, etc. They even sent then back out to get anieled, "softened," just to run them through our CNC process.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

what concerns caused you to open up the rear end? was it noise? i've recently heard a few things and i'm gonna take a peek inside mine. i've got about 2000 miles on no concerns until recently.

this is sstony btw.
<----01 ss not a GTslow
Old 09-02-2006, 07:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

John wanted me to check it over since we installed a TA cover. He said he was getting noise under decel so I checked the pattern and it showed to be deep.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Scott, you forgot to mention that after 5 20min sessions at the 2 mile road course, and a couple trips up north, that the fluid looked brand new.

And for everyone that wants to know, a stock Dana stamped diff cover fit with plenty of clearance on my BMR and UMI panhard rods. We switched to a TA aluminum girdle, and like scott says it is close but it does clear my UMI panhard with the preload studs ground down to the jam nuts. Not sure if it would clear with a stock rod, but if you have a Dana then you should have an aftermarket tubular panhard anyways.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

So... for a street car, that wants to go to the drag strip and not have to worry about breaking the rearend.... the Dana S60 is still a good idea? The most the car will ever make is 500RWHP.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Absolutely
Old 09-08-2006, 02:54 AM
12 Second Club

What about 600rwhp?

Now Im wondering if I should lean towards a 9".... even at the cost of losing my ABS.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Avengeance
What about 600rwhp?

Now Im wondering if I should lean towards a 9".... even at the cost of losing my ABS.
That's why I'm going S60. I don't wanna loose the ABS.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

My dana from Strange is SUPER LOUD. I contacted them and never got a reply. Im not sure weather to open it and look or what. I didnt even look at what the warranty is on it either. The rear whined from the first time i let the clutch out. I figured it would go away but nope 2k later its still there. Sucks when you pay 2k+ for the set up and it sounds like a god damn semi.

Kyle
Old 09-10-2006, 10:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 97 Z Me Go
My dana from Strange is SUPER LOUD. I contacted them and never got a reply. Im not sure weather to open it and look or what. I didnt even look at what the warranty is on it either. The rear whined from the first time i let the clutch out. I figured it would go away but nope 2k later its still there. Sucks when you pay 2k+ for the set up and it sounds like a god damn semi.

Kyle
Pop off the cover and put a pattern on it, I bet it looks just like QUASAR's did. Deep and sharp on the coast.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:29 AM
12 Second Club

Scott.. was this guys S60, QUASARs, one that you set up or was it purchased elsewhere?

I recall you said that the S60s you sell are assembled at your place by you personally?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:10 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Scott@DrivelineSolutions
Pop off the cover and put a pattern on it, I bet it looks just like QUASAR's did. Deep and sharp on the coast.
Does the S60 use a crush sleeve like the 12 bolt?Was this particular unit built with a crush sleeeve if so?

I am by no means a differential expert so I am not doubting your knowledge on this subject, it's more curiosity then anything.I have a Moser 12 I built myself and used a soild spacer and kinda hope the pattern on this particular S60 went deep due to the crush sleeve collapsing and not the theory of a soft housing like you mention..maybe.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Avengeance
Scott.. was this guys S60, QUASARs, one that you set up or was it purchased elsewhere?

I recall you said that the S60s you sell are assembled at your place by you personally?

QUASAR's was the first assembly I did and we were testing the fit and finish before I started to send them to any other customers. I use an OEM gear so they will run quietly but how can I garranty quietness when the housing is shifting!? I have sold a few others and they have not contact me so I assume they are not experiencing any issues or they still have yet t oreally put some power through them.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by onebad82z
Does the S60 use a crush sleeve like the 12 bolt?Was this particular unit built with a crush sleeeve if so?

I am by no means a differential expert so I am not doubting your knowledge on this subject, it's more curiosity then anything.I have a Moser 12 I built myself and used a soild spacer and kinda hope the pattern on this particular S60 went deep due to the crush sleeve collapsing and not the theory of a soft housing like you mention..maybe.

Dana 60's are preloaded by shims against a pilot on the pinion so it has it's own solid spacer built in.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible to make allowances for housing shift when setting up a rear end? I doubt that you could do it safely on a brand new casting, but once you see the change in the pattern (as in QUASAR'S) could you alter the shims?
Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 04:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kenova
Is it possible to make allowances for housing shift when setting up a rear end? I doubt that you could do it safely on a brand new casting, but once you see the change in the pattern (as in QUASAR'S) could you alter the shims?
Ken

Kinda hard to determine how much distortion in the housings since they are not casted in the same mold.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

I had Strange build my S60 and I have had no issues what so ever... It is quiet and works flawlessly...

But then again, I actually bought it directly from Strange... As far as I can tell all the people having issues with thiers are part of group purchases, or having the rears setup elsewhere...

Also Scott, I think it is obvious that you like to blame someone else for your problems... No attack, just pointing out the obvious as YOU setup the rear and have had negative things to say about the S60 from day one (remember how you complained about the ABS ring when you yourself didn't buy Stranges and tried a 'standard' one, ie YOUR fault)... Now you blame the casting for being soft, yeah right...

It is obvious you make more moeny on 9" rears, and you only have one supplier for S60 stuff, so there is no way for you to get a reduced price on anything but the universally applicable diffs and gears... I just find it far to convenient when you start throwing blame around... It is more than likely an assembly issue than a 'soft part'...

Kyle, I know yours was part of the Speed Inc GP, so contact Speed Inc and see if they will do anything about it... One of the major reason I steer away from GPs on things like this as since I bought mine straight from Strange, if I have an issue I can go directly to them... And again, mine has been dead quiet since the get-go...