Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

cyroed or micronited gear sets

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cyroed or micronited gear sets

Is anyone running their rear end with either the cyro or micronite process done? Was at PRI and it seems like a interesting process. I really do not want to debate the cost just the function and real world results of the process.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some running them around this board, but not many. If my Strange w/ 4.11s ends up too noisy, I'll most likely end up doing the process to a new set and install them for giggles. I'd be interested to see if anyone chimes in here...

My transmission has a good amount of Mikronite work done to it, but that really isn't the same.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

someone has to have done this by now.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sending out my Strange 3.42's today to be Mikronited. Won't know results for awhile though since the car is on blocks for the winter.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why would you coat gear sets? What possible gain of any type would you ever expect to obtain from coating your gears? If you have that much extra cash to spend on absolutly nothing can I forward you my address so that I can have some?
Old 12-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by alamantia
Why would you coat gear sets? What possible gain of any type would you ever expect to obtain from coating your gears? If you have that much extra cash to spend on absolutly nothing can I forward you my address so that I can have some?
Why would you make a post about Mikroniting or Cryoing gear sets if you don't know anything about either process? We aren't talking about coatings here...please do some research before you go posting about how much money you don't have.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, enlighten me on cryogenic metallurgy and the benifits of temperment of hypoid gears, cause maybe im doing something wrong using un-cryo gears in our 3100hp car
Old 12-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Ok, enlighten me on cryogenic metallurgy and the benifits of temperment of hypoid gears, cause maybe im doing something wrong using un-cryo gears in our 3100hp car
If you know anything about it (which is seems like you do, or you are quick with a Google search), you obviously know it isn't a coating. You said it was a coating in your first post. Unless you were referring to the Mikronite process. Which also isn't a coating.

I don't give a **** if your 3100 HP car can shoot bubble gum flavored jelly beans out its exhaust. The original poster asked if people had done this. You haven't. You don't seem to think it is worthwhile. Great. But whining about how much money you don't have is just pointless, which is exactly what your first post was eluding to, because it obviously didn't have any technical merit.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1. doing a cryo process is in general is aligning the molecules of the metal by putting them into a container of some type which allows the parts to be taken down to temps less than -100*C(not sure if they have the process that can get it down to abslute 0 kelvin). In doing this the part will be stonger due to the molecular alignment change. It does not change the material just makes it stronger.

2. micronite is not a coating it a surface treatment that smooths and takes out any micro cracking in the top 0.10-0.20 inch approx so that the surfaces mate together better and reduce friction. Less friction means less power to drive the gears.

I am not an engineer so if you are then you should know what these process are. Now if you have not done this then you are not adding to this thread. I stated that I was not wanting to debate the costs just what real world experince is out there with these processes.

And if it is such a waste of time then why do they do micronite process in transmissions and many different race teams from various styles of racing also do this? Then you should also call boeing, nasa and the federal government as they all use these processes in modern fighters, jet motors, and those funny things that go into space. Must be working for them. I think most of those items go faster than you 3100 hp car.

Last edited by pushinfreight; 12-21-2006 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:37 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I'm surprised mrr23 hasn't chimed in yet...he tested some Mikronite gear sets for Vinci a while back when this process was coming to market.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'm surprised mrr23 hasn't chimed in yet...he tested some Mikronite gear sets for Vinci a while back when this process was coming to market.
He is about the only one I have seen with any testing on this. I was really thinking that others would have tried this by now.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by pushinfreight
He is about the only one I have seen with any testing on this. I was really thinking that others would have tried this by now.
What you've seen with that dude's post is probably why most people haven't done it...they think it is expensive and does nothing. I can't say anything to the contrary since I haven't tried it in my rear end, but I've been very happy with the Mikronite that was done to my transmission.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What you've seen with that dude's post is probably why most people haven't done it...they think it is expensive and does nothing. I can't say anything to the contrary since I haven't tried it in my rear end, but I've been very happy with the Mikronite that was done to my transmission.
The cryo process I have seen on other parts such as blocks, heads, cams ect.... The micronite process looks real promising to me. If it is working in transmission I do not see why it will not work in a rear gear set.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very valid points and I understand the objective of trying to strengin gear sets, i have seen broken ring and pinion teeth on old racing gear sets but I have not seen any breakage in a long time, especially in street driven cars. Im always open to new proccedures but only if they are necessary, in my personal opinion i believe enough stress is taken out of todays gears that this process can be deemed not necessary unless you are breaking ring and pinion gears. I do not have problem breaking our gears so I am not going to cryo any of them. Now thats my opinion as my other posts. Good luck
Old 12-21-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

"And if it is such a waste of time then why do they do micronite process in transmissions and many different race teams from various styles of racing also do this? Then you should also call boeing, nasa and the federal government as they all use these processes in modern fighters, jet motors, and those funny things that go into space. Must be working for them. I think most of those items go faster than you 3100 hp car."

That statement proves my point exactly, these are vehicals which do use this process, When I say "our car" reffers to the team we are trying to build for this next season as we just recieved delivery of the chassis, motor and body. We have gone over many aspects of this car and cryo did happen to come up, along with shot peening and other types of treatments of many different parts. It was explained to me that one of these paticular treatments was heat treating and then at some point after the heat treating process cooling below room temprature much below room temprature to further bond the molecular structure as you said. Another left a coating, another was a way of applying a finish much like laping. Im not arguing any with this of any of you. I was only giving my opinion in what was origionally meant to be a comical way before people decide to jump down my throat, I am an engineer as a matter of fact and i had to take metalurgy classes a loooong time ago, the only such disscussions we touched upon were that "cryo" was a process developed in Russa and was unproven, the first time i heard of such parts being treated in this manor were a few years ago before I even owned a LS1 or was on this site, i didnt even know it was called cryo, it was used on tooling in machine shops to get dies to last longer, It was very expensive at the time (not too long ago) I have also heard of it used in racing for heads, brake parts and straight cut gears similar to the internials of a transmission. But I dont personaly know of anyone using it, because if it did come up again it was too expensive. Maybe one day it will be cheaper and the norm. Again, i understand if really powerful vehicals use it, but no matter how much abuse you give your LS1 i dont think it rivals Bowing or NASA or even Fighter Planes. Years ago I stupidly bought into buying everything on the market to make my street cars faster only to get frustrated. Im sitting at work and I see a post about yet another (what I think is unnecessary investment) from what I know to be an unproven process on hypoid gears and I ask two questions followed by what was an obvioulsly comical, not sarcastic, statement and wham, my LS1 buddy's are beatin me up... its cool though, it was just an opinion, which I also thought was obviouls, maybe one day we will all be using it and you can bring this post up and throw it in my face, i like the debates, it breaks up the monotomy, like now when I should be back at work, I still hate rice...
Merry Christmas fellas
Old 12-21-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alamantia- not trying to give grief, my point with the military and aerospace refference is that these processes have been in place for many years now and there are a couple of companies that are using these processes to support racing. I specifially know of baha race teams that use these processes in all out race applictions from transmissions to rear gears to brakes ect with respects to either the micronite process or cryogenic process. Crane cams is now part of the company that is assc with the micronite process which is interesting to me as a major cam maker would be part of a company that has a pattented process to hard alloys. Now my new setup will be no where near 3100 hp but for a street car full weight of 36000lbs and will make over 800 rwhp with nitrous keeping the rear together is important to me as I do not have unlimited funds. If one of these processes does lead to additional strenght and longevity then it may be a worth while expendature for me. The micronite process is one of those known secreats that most teams wil not admit to doing but many do. Now cost is not the reason that I started this thread but the real world application and use of these processes in cars that are used on a regular basis.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

i have seen broken ring and pinion teeth on old racing gear sets but I have not seen any breakage in a long time, especially in street driven cars.
If your Z still has the 10 bolt go put some sticky tires on it and dump the clutch from 4k and then you'll see your ring gear minus a few teeth. If you read on these boards much you'll see a main failure point of our 10 bolts in the lack of meat on our ring gears, which usually result in cracked/sheared teeth. From what I've read up on this process it might just be the solution to a major 10 bolt problem, we'll see.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

well, i just found it. anyways, looks like he may have found my posts about the process. but, here's some links from vinci's site.

my testing of the various types of treatments with a small list of high end racing teams using the mikronite process

http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...IN%20PAGE.HTML

doing a search for mikronite will net you some others that have sent their gears to be mikronite processed

https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4405241
Old 12-21-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pushinfreight
Is anyone running their rear end with either the cyro or micronite process done? Was at PRI and it seems like a interesting process. I really do not want to debate the cost just the function and real world results of the process.
Yes it has been done, yes it makes a difference and yes it works.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chicane
Yes it has been done, yes it makes a difference and yes it works.
do you have any real world experience with it? if so what is your impression on either of the processes?

Quick Reply: cyroed or micronited gear sets