Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9 inch with no TCS or ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 9 inch with no TCS or ABS?

Anybody running a 9 inch rear tru track 3.90 gears with no ABS or TCS? How is it working out for you? I'm looking into a 9 inch tru track with no ABS or TCS. It's not a daily driver, but it does see street miles as well as weekend track time. Is it streetable?
Old 01-21-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its good to go
Old 01-21-2007, 06:51 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, not a problem. Bob
Old 01-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Is it a noisey rear? Any clunks while turning or locking?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine is quiet , I heard more racket and had more vibration with the 10 bolt.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the tru-trac with 4.11s and no noise or clunking. Loving it so far
Old 01-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Launching!

Sounds good!

My only concern is the whole issue of not having ABS anymore. Is there really any difference? Someone mentioned the whole treshold braking. Can someone explain that to me. I'm planning on removing the ABS/TCS and replacing it with SJM ABS delete/line lock Kit.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Threshold Braking is the maximum use of your cars available traction for deceleration. In practice Threshold Braking is instant and precise application of extremely hard pressure on the Brake Pedal to the point of impending wheel lock. Impending Wheel lock is when the tire is on the edge of sliding (You will hear a scrubbing - low squealing sound just before the wheel stops rotating) When done properly, Threshold Braking is the fastest way to stop on most surfaces. It is even results in slightly shorter stops than most Anti-Lock Brake systems can accomplish.

Most ABS systems allow the wheel to stop rotation, they then release pressure and re-apply. The time between pressure release and re-application is where the ABS system loses to a good driver who is using threshold braking. Newer high performance ABS systems allow better individual wheel control, and quicker apply / release cycles. Some ABS systems, like those on the Porsche 911 and the Chevrolet Corvette are sensitive and responsive enough to still allow the driver to use Threshold Braking and will only intervene in panic stops or on extremely slippery surfaces.
On extremely slick surfaces, or in panic stop or emergency maneuvering where the driver is caught by surprise, ABS has the inherent advantage of being a "No Brainer" for noob drivers (ie... It always works, even if you are too excited/panicked to use the proper techniques)

For Practice, you should use a wide unobstructed space, with lots of "Run Off" room.
accelerate the car to a reasonable speed and then try to stop the car as fast (Short) as you can, without any of your tires fully locking.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cws T/A
Threshold Braking is the maximum use of your cars available traction for deceleration. In practice Threshold Braking is instant and precise application of extremely hard pressure on the Brake Pedal to the point of impending wheel lock. Impending Wheel lock is when the tire is on the edge of sliding (You will hear a scrubbing - low squealing sound just before the wheel stops rotating) When done properly, Threshold Braking is the fastest way to stop on most surfaces. It is even results in slightly shorter stops than most Anti-Lock Brake systems can accomplish.

Most ABS systems allow the wheel to stop rotation, they then release pressure and re-apply. The time between pressure release and re-application is where the ABS system loses to a good driver who is using threshold braking. Newer high performance ABS systems allow better individual wheel control, and quicker apply / release cycles. Some ABS systems, like those on the Porsche 911 and the Chevrolet Corvette are sensitive and responsive enough to still allow the driver to use Threshold Braking and will only intervene in panic stops or on extremely slippery surfaces.
On extremely slick surfaces, or in panic stop or emergency maneuvering where the driver is caught by surprise, ABS has the inherent advantage of being a "No Brainer" for noob drivers (ie... It always works, even if you are too excited/panicked to use the proper techniques)

For Practice, you should use a wide unobstructed space, with lots of "Run Off" room.
accelerate the car to a reasonable speed and then try to stop the car as fast (Short) as you can, without any of your tires fully locking.

Very good information.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

I have Moser 9in w/ no TCS or ABS and a Spool. Runs fine on the street, no weird noises or anything.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

I have that exact rear, no ABS or TCS, but with 3.50 gears. No noise, TrueTrac is great. Seal leakage can be an issue, though...