Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pinion depth tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion depth tool

Anybody know where to get a good pinion depth measuring tool? I've set up a couple of gearsets without measuring and just reusing the old shim but I'm spending alot of money on this final 10 bolt build and I want it to be perfect.

Might as well buy one now and have it for future 10 bolt builds as much as I tear'em up
Old 02-27-2007, 03:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I have a PM depth tool that I don't use, paid $100.00 for it but never figured out how to use it. Instructions are included with all hardware and dial.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

LOL.........well if you couldn't figure out how to use it I probably won't be able to either. I've seen quite a few tools on Ebay and also summit sells them, but I don't see how they could work correctly unless you can take a measurement before the old pinion is removed. Problem is, my rear has been setup before and I don't trust the last guy to get the pinion depth right. I need a tool that will get me setup in a new housing.

I'm looking for a tool that has a peice of pipe that fits in the carrier caps and measures from the carrier bearing centerline.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LOL, this thing is taking up space in my toolbox and it has an inch of dust on it...

I bet I couldn't give it away on Ebay!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by turbotko
I'm looking for a tool that has a peice of pipe that fits in the carrier caps and measures from the carrier bearing centerline.
Hmmm.. Is this what you're looking for? http://completeoffroad.com/wsm/i-63_...epth_tool.html
Old 02-28-2007, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

Actually, I think that is what I'm looking for but $329? Hmmm. May have to figure something else out.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The dealership has them, I usually barrow it from dad and then give it back when i'm done. GM shop manuals also tell you the specs even if you are starting with an empty shell. You may also be able to buy the tool from Kent Moore direct, since they supply the GM tools. Truthfully i've used it many times but usually end up using the stock shim in the end.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Okay, so the stock shim should normally stay with the housing? When I bought the 3.42 geared housing and took all the guts out to put in my 2.73 geared housing I kept the pinion shim with the 3.42 pinion. The pattern looked okay but it whined a little. I guess I should have used the pinion shim that came off of my old 2.73 gears. I think I still have the old pinion shim that was originally in the housing so maybe I will start with that.

My new motive gears have 2.998 marked on the pinion which I take it as the pinion depth. I just wish I could actually measure the pinion depth and make sure it's right........all this guessing and trying different shims sucks not to mention I'm not real good at reading contact patterns. Pinion depth is the only thing I don't like about setting up diffs, everything else is gravy.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

stock shim should stay with the housing.... but i never guess. seems if you have 273 gears and step up to 373s or higher a few thousands of an inch((off from the factory)) will make it wine a litter more cause its spinning alot more than the lower gear ratio..
i set up 8.8 rears at the dealer all the time and use the tool so i wont have to do it over again. but a good guess is keep the shim with the housing.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I'm gonna get the original shim that came with the housing and start with that. I guess I'll run a pattern check with the original shim and see what it looks like. I'm gonna hone out some old pinion bearings I have laying around to make changing the shims easier.

I got my Trutrac in last night. What a sweet *** unit that bad boy is. It looks like it's built like a tank and is heavy as hell. Can't wait to get it all installed this weekend.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:03 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

chances are the shim will not be correct for a different gearset. you can start with the old one if you are gonna do the trial and error method. if you do more than a few gears, i'd say get a good guage setup. I personally use the T-D Machine guage. its a nice piece and does several different kinds of rearends. its about 300 or so, but well worth it. the pinion depth need to be within .001-.002 of the number on the pinion, and they aren't necessarily the same between gears... even w/ the same manufacturer and ratio.

Quick Reply: Pinion depth tool