Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Howling in rear differential

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Howling in rear differential

I own a 2002 Z28 with the B4C police package. When the car is under power the rear is fairly quiet, nothing attracting attention. However, when you let off the gas to coast a high-pitched whine/howl comes from the rear end. Any information on solutions to the problem is appreciated.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

torque the pinion nut down about 10-15 degrees and cross your fingers it goes away. Probably goes agienst any technical and correct proccedure to diagnosing, inspecting and correcting the problem but as far as back-yard mechanics go..... betcha it works!

check th elube level while your at it
Old 06-14-2007, 11:01 PM

Alright, thanks. I'll give that a shot this weekend hopefully.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:29 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Is this a new problem? Or a long standing one?
Old 06-16-2007, 12:01 AM

It is a new problem, i probably should have mentioned that i recently worked on the rear. There was a growling in the rear, so we pulled it apart and found that one of the axels was wrecked. The splines on the axel were eaten away there were metal shavings throughout the tubes and differential. So we built a spreader, pulled the gears out, cleaned out the diff and tubes, replaced all the bearings, and re-assembled everything. It seemed like all the gears seated right and everything went toghether fairly well. Filled up the rear with oil and when we took it for the test drive, found that the rear let loose a howl when the we let off the gas.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kbitzky
It is a new problem, i probably should have mentioned that i recently worked on the rear. There was a growling in the rear, so we pulled it apart and found that one of the axels was wrecked. The splines on the axel were eaten away there were metal shavings throughout the tubes and differential. So we built a spreader, pulled the gears out, cleaned out the diff and tubes, replaced all the bearings, and re-assembled everything. It seemed like all the gears seated right and everything went toghether fairly well. Filled up the rear with oil and when we took it for the test drive, found that the rear let loose a howl when the we let off the gas.
I would check the pinion nut also, had the same problem in the past.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 12 bolt has been screamin for years. If you can live with it I wouldn't worry about it or you can rebuild it if you want. My old 10 bolt screamed too.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:19 AM

yeah, i put it back up on stands, took out the drive shaft and i think im just going to pull everything out again, re-check bearings. I know i have to replace the pinion seal. Something tore away part of the rubber so ill check that out. I guess if i get frustrated ill either get a new set of gears for it, or a new rear end. Thank you for all the help.

Quick Reply: Howling in rear differential