Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How to tell if tranny is slipping

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to tell if tranny is slipping

hey guys im not too sure if the problem im having is slipping or just normal . it is very infrequent (4 times in 2 months) but it is sometimes at crusin speeds if i put down the gas a good deal and the car downshifts but quickly let off somehwta (not all the way just back to like 2k) the gas for some reason life someone cutting me off in city traffic the tranny seems to drop back down in gears and for a few secconds run that gear a little bit higher than it would normally (nothing extream) and then it just trtansitions back to normal driving. i dont think its slipping cause in my old car 3rd went out and i knew what that felt like this just seems like at breif moments im able to confuse the tranny about what gear it should be in. the only tranny mods i have are a b\m 1900 gvw cooler and my hpp3 setting shift firmness at 75% i dont really mind it beacouse it is so uncommon and only seems to happen once in a while when im doin say 40 then i mash the gas but i immediately let off back to where i was when i was crusin at 40. and its ot the car is out of gear but just like it shifteed back into the gear it was in before i mashed the gas .... any comments????
Old 05-26-2003, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: How to tell if tranny is slipping

dam no one o common somebodys gotta have some imput
Old 05-26-2003, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Since nobody else is chiming in I guess I'll give it a go. First off it sounds like you need the planets to align just right for this to happen. I've only ever had one car where the tranny slipped ( '90 Bonneville) and that was more of a "hit the gas and the car acts like its in neutral" type of deal, pretty serious stuff. It sounds more like you are just confusing the poor tranny by mashing the gas, making it downshift, and then letting off it right away. If it's something that you have to really try that hard to get it to happen, then it probably isn't a problem. But I know where your coming from, I'm the same way, worrying about every little obscure noise that comes from my car.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

yea thats what i thought but id just thought id ask thanks for replying to my post. it ticks me off when such a vague question goes unanswered i mean im a busy guy but i try and give my 2 cents on whatever i can . i dont think its the tranny slippin cause just like you when i'v rode in cars with bad trannys its ovbious and this is not even replicatable belive me ive tried but just thought id ask
Old 05-27-2003, 10:52 PM
TECH Veteran

if you are referring to the car listed in your sig, i would be very suprised that you would already be having trans problems in a car that new with a trans cooler, and the stock converter...your trans should be good to go for a long time. What converter you thinking about going with?
Old 05-28-2003, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No prob Everyone on this board is pretty cool and really helpful. Sometimes I think a post just gets pushed down so fast that it goes unnoticed. I've found that if you just keep "TTT" that someone eventually chimes in.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

yea i didnt really think it was a prob im not sure what converter im gonna go with yet cause im gonna run out my warrenty before going in to the tranny or engine too much why what would u reccomend?
Old 05-28-2003, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

id just say its the tc unlocking when the revs go up then locking back again when they drop. or maybe just downshifting. but believe me when it goes, youll fo sho know it, revs real nice and high and you aint goin anywhere fast.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:32 PM
TECH Junkie

ok good than i can put my worries to rest thanks all for the reassurances