Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Has anyone broke there Mikronite gears yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007 | 09:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone broke there Mikronite gears yet?

I searched this first but its not working. But I was wondering if anyone had broke one of these in there 10 bolts yet.
Old 08-20-2007 | 07:33 AM
12 Second Club

I guess no responses could be a good thing......
Old 08-20-2007 | 12:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I have seen a drag radial car break a set of pro gears that has that process done. I think it was Jim P. 's car that runs high 7's.
Old 08-21-2007 | 07:20 AM
12 Second Club

Do you know how many passes he made befor that happend or how well that will hold up to a 12 second car on drag radials? Thanks.
Old 08-21-2007 | 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

If anyone has broken a Mikronite processed ring and pinion set, we at Crane/Mikronite would like to know about it. We would like to look at the nature of the failure. We also want to be sure that Mikronite process gears are not "lumped together" with other "shiny" surface treated gearsets. The unique features of the Mikronite process is that it imparts "residual compressive stress" into the surface and near-surface substrate (much like shot-peening) while having the highly lustrous finish to reduce friction. No other "shiny finish" treatment strengthens the gearset like the Mikronite process. Additionally, the Mikronite process does not alter the gear tooth profile even when measured to .000001" (yes that number of zeros is correct!).

You might want to check out what Warren Johnson has to say about his experience with Mikronite processed gears: www.mikromaxperformance.com . Additionally, we have seen decidely different quality between different manufacturers of gearsets. The Mikronite process will not make up for quality deficiencies in the base material or machining.

We are very interested in hearing comments from the field. They are important to us to provide continual improvement in our product offerings. Post them or PM me privately. Thanks!

Mark Campbell
VP, Market and Product Development
Crane Cams Inc.
Old 08-21-2007 | 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

Mark how well do you think these things will hold up against 4500 rpm launches with drag radials? thanks.
Old 08-22-2007 | 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
Mark how well do you think these things will hold up against 4500 rpm launches with drag radials? thanks.
That is a “loaded” question. First let me state what our tests have shown about the Mikronite process; and then let me address your question. On dozens of vehicles in various classes of drag, circle track, and pulling competitions, we have seen an average 400% improvement in component life of ring and pinions. We have also seen greatly increased component life when subjected to much higher torque loads. The amount of increase on all of this varies from application to application. Keep in mind, different gear ratios have different amount of pinion teeth surface area engaged in the ring gear at any time. Launching torque puts bending loads on the entire axle assembly and the mounts. Wheel hop under vehicle launch also creates momentary high load conditions that focus extreme forces at weak areas. The fact that a ring and pinion gear set fails is often the result of weak areas elsewhere. Also, a huge number of ring and pinions are broken because of improper installation. We have seen “set-up” mistakes from some of the best names in the industry

If you check out this post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/764876-crane-mikromax-ring-pinion-gears.html , I explain why we are using Motive Gears. I also make the statement that we are not claiming that a Mikronite processed 7.5” GM ring and pinion will be stronger than a GM 12-bolt or Ford 9-inch: but both of the larger sets will be stronger if they are Mikronite processed. Mikronite processed gears offer an alternative to the enthusiast who is on the margin of breaking their stock gears and needs some extra strength without the hassle of changing entire rear end assemblies.

As for your question; if your vehicle is set up to launch smoothly without wheel hop, the Mikronite gears will last considerably longer than the stock gears, but I would be foolish to make a statement of how long when there are so many unknowns about your vehicle. 4500RPM launches on drag radials is pretty abusive! We have had several F-bodies (stick and automatic) that were breaking ring and pinions after anywhere from 10 to 20 passes and now have over 80 passes on them and they still look good. We have had Late Model and Modified circle track cars that changed ring and pinions twice a year and quick change gears annually who are now running their third full season on the same ring and pinion and quick change sets (three years on the same gears and they still look good!). I know this doesn’t answer your question, but I hope it helps. Keep in mind that the whole suspension must be set up properly or no ring and pinion will last.
Old 08-22-2007 | 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everytime you dump the clutch, its still going to be a gamble.

will it be stronger? yes. no doubt.

will it last longer? depends on alot. if you're exceeding the breaking point of the stocker (and you probably are) AND you're under the higher breaking point of the process.. yes, it will last longer.
but if you're dumping it hard and hooking... you're probably exceeding the breaking point of ANY 10bolt, regardless of gears.

also, i should note, that the gears are not the main breaking point of 10bolts... the posi also likes to blow apart... keep the gears and posi together, and you still can flex the case enough to hurt the gears... or snap an axle.. etc.... the gears are not the only weak point of the rear.

that said... no one can guarantee anything.
Old 08-22-2007 | 01:29 PM
Teching In

I really gotta look into this mikronite stuff. Considering their new office is 15 minutes away from me.
Old 08-22-2007 | 02:03 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
I searched this first but its not working. But I was wondering if anyone had broke one of these in there 10 bolts yet.
I dont think you are going to find many people who actually have this done yet, and then a follow up question would have to be if they broke their previous set or did they just change ratios.
Old 08-22-2007 | 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes with the 10 bolt you are taking a gamble anyways. A 4500 RPM launch and sticky tires especially if you hook right off the line... my bets are if the gears hold you more than likely will blow out the diff and or axles. I am saving for a 12 bolt once my 10 bolt decides to take a puke, its my DD so I don't really beat on it too much as well as no powershifting lol.
Old 08-23-2007 | 07:33 AM
12 Second Club

I think Im just gonna save up more money an go with a 12 bolt and have that gear get the mikronite finish. Thanks for the help guys.