Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

'Bolt-in' Moser 9" Housing lol

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smile 'Bolt-in' Moser 9" Housing. Decent fitment.

Edit: Read the whole thread. Turns out, this thing fits OK.

This thing does not come close to bolting in with factory parts. It's about 1-2" too far back! There's no way it will bolt up like this and maintain the correct pinion angle. Looks like I'm gonna need an adj torque arm and maybe even some LCA relocation brackets to get-er-done.

I already have adj LCAs, LCA relocation brackets, and an adj PHB.

I have to order an adj torque arm. I think I want to get a transmission mounted one. I don't want all the noise that is typical of the tunnel mounted designs. Does anyone know of a good torque arm that they can recommend?

There are a couple other small issues with this housing. The e-brake cable brackets won't fit on there right because there are no holes for the bracket tabs. I'll drill a hole on each side for the tabs, no big deal, but it would've been nice if Moser took care of this. The other issue is that the PHB will not fit into the ears on the housing, so I'll have to machine the PHB's bushings a little bit and that will take care of it.

And I hope to hell this thing is quiet!

Just venting, I guess.....

The car will honk with 4.10s!

Last edited by ShevrolayZ28; 09-25-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-24-2007, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Didn't run into as much as you did.....But, it is definately not a bolt on piece....I've learned that if it says "bolt on" it isn't a plug n play deal....
Old 09-24-2007, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

thats weird??? mine bolted in perfect. the driveshaft is out about 3/4 inch
more now, seems ok. if moser set up your gears- your screwed.
make sure you check them first, mine lasted 1 week
Old 09-24-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine went in farly easy other than the stuff that I had to change with it being narrowed.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got done putting in mine I thought it was easy and didnt run into too many snags, as for the tq arm I suggest the UMI tunnel mount that has the poly bushings(round like the LCA's) mine has no noticable noise over stock. If I didnt assemble the rear I would say it was the easiest swap out of anything major ive done. Scott@DLS set up the gears, and knock on wood, it is quieter that mine 10 bolt(it was noisy). Right now im stuck waiting on my ARP bolts for my flywheel and pressure plate. it is no surprise oyu need a tq arm, the stock one sucks anyways.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:26 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I recommend the BMR trak pak, it is not a noisey torque arm and it takes the stress of the transmission by relocating the front mount back behind the transmission.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=171 Bob
Old 09-25-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same issues with my install. I even had to take 3/4" out of my already aj. lcas and shorten my t/a by removing the nut by the front bushing. and the t/a still sits to far forward. I've been fighting with the adjustments all summer, now all of a sudden I'm getting ridiculous wheel hop. I would have gone a different route if I had to do it over again.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

I guess I owe Moser an apology. The rear end sits only about 1/2" farther back. I managed to get almost everything lined up and reassembled using all stock parts except for a adj PHB. The only thing now is the driver's side shock is real close to the LCA. I guess I'll see what happens with that.

Tomorrow morning I'll install the sway bar and break the rear end in. Wish me luck.

PS lol at the adj PHB. The one I have has to be removed from the car on one end in order to adjust it. That's rather inconvenient IMO. Next time I'll get the on-car adj design.

Last edited by ShevrolayZ28; 09-25-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:11 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Unhappy

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
I guess I owe Moser an apology. The rear end sits only about 1/2" farther back. I managed to get almost everything lined up and reassembled using all stock parts except for a adj PHB. The only thing now is the driver's side shock is real close to the LCA. I guess I'll see what happens with that.

Tomorrow morning I'll install the sway bar and break the rear end in. Wish me luck.
I find that most rears in these cars sit .5" back in the wheelwell from the factory. It's too bad that threads like this are started, as now everybody is going to read it and think you got screwed. Bob
Old 09-25-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I find that most rears in these cars sit .5" back in the wheelwell from the factory. It's too bad that threads like this are started, as now everybody is going to read it and think you got screwed. Bob
I edited it as best I could. I'm bloody sorry if this thread adversely affects your sales.

BTW, the torque arm you recommended, the one you said was not noisy? I see this on your website:

NOTE: Will not work with "diamond style" subframe connectors. Use of this product will produce additional road noise and is recommended for the serious enthusiast only.
What's the deal? Is it noisy or not?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, mine stits a heck of a lot farther than 1/2" back, and I've talked to other people(who haven't posted on here) who have had the same fitment issues. It's not like this isn't an issue, so I don't think one thread going the other direction is unjustly hurting anyone.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:44 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

I edited it as best I could. I'm bloody sorry if this thread adversely affects your sales.

BTW, the torque arm you recommended, the one you said was not noisy? I see this on your website:

What's the deal? Is it noisy or not?
We have not found this torque arm to be noisy at all. That was copied from BMR's website, and I am sure they have that as a general warning. I had the Spohn 405 on my Z28, and it was much noisier than the trak pak is. Bob
Old 09-26-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

We have not found this torque arm to be noisy at all. That was copied from BMR's website, and I am sure they have that as a general warning. I had the Spohn 405 on my Z28, and it was much noisier than the trak pak is. Bob
That makes sense, since the Spohn 405 seems to use a hieme rod adj rather than a poly bushing. What I'm wondering is how it compares to the transmission mounted TAs.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:28 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

That makes sense, since the Spohn 405 seems to use a hieme rod adj rather than a poly bushing. What I'm wondering is how it compares to the transmission mounted TAs.
I'd say it is probably just slightly louder than a transmission mounted torque arm.
Keep in mind a transmission mounted torque arm places a huge load on the transmission, broken tranny mounts are very common, and every now and then someone will break a tranny tailshaft. Bob
Old 09-30-2007, 10:42 AM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdustu
Well, mine stits a heck of a lot farther than 1/2" back, and I've talked to other people(who haven't posted on here) who have had the same fitment issues. It's not like this isn't an issue, so I don't think one thread going the other direction is unjustly hurting anyone.
Same here. I needed to have a longer driveshaft made.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

PS lol at the adj PHB. The one I have has to be removed from the car on one end in order to adjust it. That's rather inconvenient IMO. Next time I'll get the on-car adj design.
For what its worth... the kind you have is stronger.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it just me or are moser the only aftermarket axels I have ever seen broken.

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents since it is bash moser night =)

BTW my next rear will be a S60 from Strange, anyone hear anything "bad" about them? If so please state some facts.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by IROC403
thats weird??? mine bolted in perfect. the driveshaft is out about 3/4 inch
more now, seems ok. if moser set up your gears- your screwed.
make sure you check them first, mine lasted 1 week
Mine went in over a year and still running, no noise either!