Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

beef up the 10 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beef up the 10 bolt?

so spring tiem, I had plans to rebuitd the 10 bolt, it has a 3.73 right now i beleive. I was going to get 4.10 a stronger detroit locker, moser or strange axles, and a rear end cover. Is it worth the build?, I won't be over 450 hp for a while, unless i decide to spray it, the main reason is i can build it for a little over a grand. which is way cheaper than a 12-bolt or a 9 inch
Old 10-23-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not worth the money
Old 10-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Launching!

here is mine, maybe you can get some ideas from it. My build was concentrated on strengthening up the housing, which is a main concern on these 7.5 rear ends. By making everything solid, the gears stay in perfect contact at all times, even under load, which substantially increases their strength. The other weak link is the carrier, in which i would suggest the Eaton

http://www.geocities.com/duragizer444/install.html

Good luck with whatever you decide!
-Jeff
Old 10-23-2007, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

I am taking a look at hazard2k's ideas and will go along with building up my 10 bolt. For ME as well, it is not feasible to spend for the 9" or 12 bolt now, car is not on the drag strip, not making serious power, A4, daily driver, and the rear is starting to make noises that could be a bearing.

So I might as well do it now, use it for a while and save fro the upgrade. Plus, after talking to some guys at the LSX shootout, making great power and hitting 10's and 11's on stock rears, it is possible.

I am looking at the auburn thoughfor the carrier, seems like they have a higher recommend the the Eaton, however, not buying it tomorrow, so I am still researching, listening and reading. 3.73's for sure, maybe new axles and I am leaning towards the solid spacer vice the crush, so it takes longer to set up, seems to be the prefered method I have read so far. (NO I did not take a poll! )

Just my thoughts.......
Old 10-23-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree Hazard2k is on to something here. If anyone has an extra 2k for me I would love to buy a 12 bolt, donations accepted...lol! What up from B-LO hazard2k?
Old 10-23-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

have a rebuilt 10 bolt with 3.90's if your interested
Old 10-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mikenews
I agree Hazard2k is on to something here. If anyone has an extra 2k for me I would love to buy a 12 bolt, donations accepted...lol! What up from B-LO hazard2k?
I would love to buy a 9" for my car, but 2400 bucks is hard to pull out of your wallet if you dont have it. I went to the track twice this year, and i am turning my car into more of an autocross car anyways. There is no need for me to have a rear end than can support 600-700 horse, when i am only making 380.
I opted to spend a couple hundred bucks instead to make a 10 bolt be able to withstand the beating i put it through. And for the record, it has taken it pretty well.

BTW.. good luck with the donations.. I have not gotten any yet either!
-Jeff
Old 10-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Launching!

hazard2k, U seem to have a good build there, so as of now im thinking of sticking with my 10-bolt cause its cheaper, and I plan on only hitting 400 hp with a good tune and a few more bolt-ons, so my 10-bolt should hold up for a while, i just don't want t build it, then have it bust a month later, cause it is a 6-spd, and I know they break way easier on 6-spds
Old 10-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2000BlackM6
hazard2k, U seem to have a good build there, so as of now im thinking of sticking with my 10-bolt cause its cheaper, and I plan on only hitting 400 hp with a good tune and a few more bolt-ons, so my 10-bolt should hold up for a while, i just don't want t build it, then have it bust a month later, cause it is a 6-spd, and I know they break way easier on 6-spds
There is a couple of people putting down around 500 horse launching on slicks with a rear end similar to the one i built. They opted to replace the axles, and upgrade the posi unit though. I ended up using stock axles and a stock posi as my funds did not permit anything else (The main reason i didnt get a 9" to begin with)
Good luck with whatever you choose!
-Jeff
Old 10-29-2007, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

What about completely gusseting the rear, like we do in 4x4 land? I am curious now. Maybe time to play with the plasma cutter and mig welder.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Launching!

I was thinking about that as an alternative to the way hazard2k did his, either set up I think will help significantly
Old 10-29-2007, 11:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please don't waste any money on the 10-bolt. I had the same Idea about a year ago. It was a total waste of money for me.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Launching!

well I have till spring to save my money and make my executive decision. Its juat that a 12 bolt or 9 inch are so expensive
Old 10-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Launching!

There is always going to be people saying its a waste of time, and dont do it. But 500 bucks is a lot easier to find than 2400. Yes, a 10 bolt will never be as stong as a 9" or 12bolt, but if I can make the 10 bolt strong enough to last with the power i am making, why would i logically go bigger? To waste money? add weight? lose drivetrain efficency? Doesnt seem to add up IMO.

People need to understand there is more uses to a car than ONLY drag racing. For example, mine is being turned into a autocross car. There are plenty of people i know around town that enjoy just cruising on the streets with their 400hp cars. They also, would have no use for a 9" rear end, as they would not get traction anyways, unless they went with some M/T streets. but since they drive ALL the time, they dont have them, as they would be worn out every 2000 miles.

Depends on what you plan on doing with YOUR car, not what other people think you do with your car. If you go to the track every friday and drag it, then you would be better going with a guaranteed strong rear end (9" or 12bolt). If you do pretty much anything other than that, then a beefed up 10-bolt should suffice for the purpose.
-Jeff
Old 10-29-2007, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

I know Zdaddy the original guy that did this. So far as I know his prototype and the other guy I know them both. Both rears are holding fine with 5K clutch drops on mickey's.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How do I beef up my 10 bolt?

You don't.

It seems like too easy of an answer, but it holds true. The 10 bolt will always be limited by the fact that it is simply smaller than a 12 bolt, 9 inch, or Dana 60. Smaller = weaker.

Besides replacing the ring & pinion and bearings, adding aftermarket parts such as stronger axles only seems to be a waste of money. The minute you fix one thing, another will break. Rear end installs can be costly if you are not doing the labor yourself - it adds up quick. Don't be the guy who says he can't afford a 12 bolt, but has spent $1500 dumping money into his 10 bolt.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hazard2k
There is always going to be people saying its a waste of time, and dont do it. But 500 bucks is a lot easier to find than 2400. Yes, a 10 bolt will never be as stong as a 9" or 12bolt, but if I can make the 10 bolt strong enough to last with the power i am making, why would i logically go bigger? To waste money? add weight? lose drivetrain efficency? Doesnt seem to add up IMO.

People need to understand there is more uses to a car than ONLY drag racing. For example, mine is being turned into a autocross car. There are plenty of people i know around town that enjoy just cruising on the streets with their 400hp cars. They also, would have no use for a 9" rear end, as they would not get traction anyways, unless they went with some M/T streets. but since they drive ALL the time, they dont have them, as they would be worn out every 2000 miles.

Depends on what you plan on doing with YOUR car, not what other people think you do with your car. If you go to the track every friday and drag it, then you would be better going with a guaranteed strong rear end (9" or 12bolt). If you do pretty much anything other than that, then a beefed up 10-bolt should suffice for the purpose.
-Jeff
Hear ! Hear !
Hell of a job dude. I'm with you on this one . My 02 Z/28 is an A4 also and while I go to the strip once or twice a year my thang is street cruising/racing, so I ain't puttin up with no loud *** gear whine or a howlin rear end.My ride is bolt-ons & will stay that way since its a Vert. By the way, does any body know if my 02 has a series 2 or 3 gear case & is it a eaton or torsen & which is better & why ?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

^you're an auto you ain't got to worry about breaking anyway.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:49 PM
Banned

Default That's Your *** ! !

Originally Posted by cpt_bimes
^you're an auto you ain't got to worry about breaking anyway.
Your talkin outa your *** dude ! Obviously !
I beg to disagree. The factory 10-bolt is so ****** weak a Chevy Cavalier could make it whine & howl like a banshee with a lead-foot teenager at the wheel in less than a week!
Old 10-31-2007, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

someone needs to find another truck/car to swap rear ends with and make a kit for all the mounts. they would make tons of money

Quick Reply: beef up the 10 bolt?