Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Midwest Chassis & Performance fab rearends... new pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

must have read it backwords then, eaither way im sure it would hold together just fine, especially in a auto car. But from what i see at the track, the real racers use Strange and Moser just advertises more, lol.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive read the S series case is reccommended up to 850 hp, and the Alum Race case to 1000.

Both moser, and strange make great products, but seems like i see alot more strange @ the track.

Chris
Old 11-19-2008, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I see alot more of them as well... The Strange Pro Nodular Iron case is rated to over 1000 as well, Thats what I went with....
Old 11-19-2008, 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

I really wanna order my rear but, trying to hold off on loop for long arm. I just love the way it tucks up compared to the short.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:41 AM
10 Second Club

For everyone looking at this rear end kit I have some advice for you. Get it. I was able to look at the moser 9inch up at a friends shop yesterday and I was very unimpressed with the Moser setup. To actually compare what you get with Eric's kit vs Moser really showed the better part and how inexpensive Eric's setup is compared to the Moser once you take into account all the extras you do not pay for in the Midwest setup. Since I installed my own setup I was able to look at certain areas I thought would compare to each other and let me tell you it wasn't even close to the same. Not trying to knock Moser at all just stating the facts with both housings side by side in the cars. Also, I was told that nothing fit properly with the Moser and spacers needed to be machined to get the lower control arms to work. Once my buddy asked how much I paid for my setup he could not believe it and I got him to take a look at some of the pics on this site so I am hoping in the future he will sell Eric's setup.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
For everyone looking at this rear end kit I have some advice for you. Get it. I was able to look at the moser 9inch up at a friends shop yesterday and I was very unimpressed with the Moser setup. To actually compare what you get with Eric's kit vs Moser really showed the better part and how inexpensive Eric's setup is compared to the Moser once you take into account all the extras you do not pay for in the Midwest setup. Since I installed my own setup I was able to look at certain areas I thought would compare to each other and let me tell you it wasn't even close to the same. Not trying to knock Moser at all just stating the facts with both housings side by side in the cars. Also, I was told that nothing fit properly with the Moser and spacers needed to be machined to get the lower control arms to work. Once my buddy asked how much I paid for my setup he could not believe it and I got him to take a look at some of the pics on this site so I am hoping in the future he will sell Eric's setup.
x2...I took my car in to have the exhaust modified and my buddy who owns the shop really like the rear and couldnt believe I paid that little for it. Its well worth the money!If you are looking at buying a rear,torque arm, driveshaft the whole package its not going to cost much more to go with this setup and have a lighter, better quality rear.

While at his shop we added up the price of the Moser, plus torque arm, plus all the options I have and the Moser actually would have cost me more because Midwest sets up the gears before they go out and Moser doesnt, so I would have had to pay to have it done.

I couldnt be happier with my setup!
Old 11-22-2008, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

And you better get the optional fill on the Moser if you plan to get fluid into it. Once the torque arm is on good luck.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Old 11-25-2008, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Nice, now wipe those finger prints off so it looks as good as the rest of the car!!
Old 11-26-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Order Placed.

Excellent service and really seem like a great guy.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

anyone going with the transverse shock mount? my car is lowered a hair in the rear and not sure if I should do this or just go factory setup.

Also how hard is it to pull the backing plates and reluctor rings?

Is it worth it to pull my reluctor rings and backing plates off the 10 bolt and send them in, or keep the 10 bolt as a complete for sale?
Old 11-26-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ski23
anyone going with the transverse shock mount? my car is lowered a hair in the rear and not sure if I should do this or just go factory setup.

Is it worth it to pull my reluctor rings and backing plates off the 10 bolt and send them in, or keep the 10 bolt as a complete for sale?
Its easy to swap backing plates, just weather you want to sell the rear end complete or not.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:01 AM
9 Second Club

Only reason i wouldn't pull the backing plates was if you were going with a drag brake setup.

If you had to buy them it would cost more then the difference you would get in the 10 bolt with or without them.

Chris
Old 11-27-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

update on more specs....

after spending hours trying to figure out my **** i was looking at the housing just to kill time and also didnt pay attention to how Eric welds everything inside and out. Spring perches, LCA brackets, housing, EVERYTHING is welded on bolt sides, not just a welded here and there, the entire bracket, brace, housing all the way down the seam front and back/behind it all. NOW thats attention to detail, something you dont get anywhere else!
Old 11-27-2008, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

One of my buddies stopped by who builds race cars and checked mine out. He thought it was top notch work. Thats alot coming from him because everything I buy he has something to point out thats wrong lol.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

The quality on these is great, I havent personally seen an M9 but it would have to be pretty nice to be worth the extra money from Midwest.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:10 PM
9 Second Club

When i picked up my rear end, eric made sure he pointed out how he welds everything inside and out. Definatly top notch stuff.

Chris
Old 11-28-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
When i picked up my rear end, eric made sure he pointed out how he welds everything inside and out. Definatly top notch stuff.

Chris
i'll second that the thing looks phenomenal
Old 11-29-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm Mike Hutto

The transverse shock mounts I believe are for the correct locating of aftermarket shocks like QA1's, strange etc to not wear out the seals from improper alignment. Hope this helps.

It is a nice unit. I've been working with one in TexasVortex's car. The driveshaft was a tad long if the torque arm was mounted in the lowest of holes in the front so I moved it up top and the notchyness in the trasnmission went away. Kinda makes me wonder how the length was measured and assuming it was not measured over the 4 holes and averaged out but only taken using the top or next to top hole. Im dealing with a 6 speed car with it. Thats my only complaint/concern with the rear end.

Generally an auto car will work well on the lower 2 holes and instant center correct with a 2.5 degree pinion angle as a good baseline start. Im working the bugs out of the upper two holes now and trying to find out what our happy medium will be. Love it so far though.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ahhhh so this is the guy we were messing around racing at cordova. Ever get that tranny figured out ssvert99?

Quick Reply: Midwest Chassis & Performance fab rearends... new pics