Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Midwest Chassis & Performance fab rearends... new pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009 | 10:53 AM
12 Second Club

Im awaiting mine now. Hope its not much longer. I got the Stange front shocks/springs on and ready for a test ride but, No rearend in the car lol.
Old 01-11-2009 | 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

It will seem like forever but its well worth the wait.
Old 01-12-2009 | 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

What is the honest lead time on these right now?
Old 01-12-2009 | 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
Looking for either 3.89 or 3.70 with 3 channel. To get the three channel can I still use the Nodular third member or do you have to get the aluminium? Also what Diff. would be reccomended for 95% street and 5% strip use? Thanks.....
Old 01-12-2009 | 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
I ordered mine 2nd week in dec. i need it by the end of Jan. but he told me i should have it much sooner than that so we'll see.

Last edited by TNTramair; 01-12-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2009 | 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lead time isn't bad at all, less if you don't get it powder coated from what I've experienced.
Originally Posted by madclown
Looking for either 3.89 or 3.70 with 3 channel. To get the three channel can I still use the Nodular third member or do you have to get the aluminium? Also what Diff. would be reccomended for 95% street and 5% strip use? Thanks.....
3.70. You can get nodular for the 3 channel and keep ABS if you'd like. That will limit you to the trutrac differential with 31 spline axle, which is what you'll want for a street duty differential anyway.
Old 01-12-2009 | 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TNTramair
I ordered mine 2nd week in dec. i need it by the end of Jan. but he told me i should have it much sonner than that so we'll see.
I ordered around first week of December and should have it soooon. Last I heard it was at powder caoting probably along with yours. I Hope I can pick mine up soon since ill be moving. Hmm how the hell do you move a car with no rearend lol. j/k
Old 01-12-2009 | 05:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slvr00Bird
Lead time isn't bad at all, less if you don't get it powder coated from what I've experienced.

3.70. You can get nodular for the 3 channel and keep ABS if you'd like. That will limit you to the trutrac differential with 31 spline axle, which is what you'll want for a street duty differential anyway.

So getting the 3 channel you have to go with the tru-trac and 31 spline axles? I have read a few bad things about the tru-trac in this fourm. Also why do you say the 3.70 over the 3.89 I will be spraying a 150 shot and would like to be right at 6400 RPM when crossing the traps.

Last edited by madclown; 01-12-2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Added a question
Old 01-12-2009 | 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

So getting the 3 channel you have to go with the tru-trac and 31 spline axles? I have read a few bad things about the tru-trac in this fourm. Also why do you say the 3.70 over the 3.89 I will be spraying a 150 shot and would like to be right at 6400 RPM when crossing the traps.
No, you don't have to go with tru-trac, just what I chose to run since my car is going to be on the street 99.9% of the time... A locker is loud, and a spool will wear tires out fast as well as be a pain at slow speeds in parking lots and wet/snow conditions (i'd imagine)... If you do get the tru-trac, then they're limit is 31 spline axles though.. so you will be limited to those.

I said a 3.70 because that way if you need to drive it on the highway, it won't be a pain and you could have decent gas mileage. If it will never see highway time, I would have said 3.90. As for spray, I'm not sure what gear you'd need but I know some of the nitrous guys like running a 3.42, etc.. It all depends on what you want, but if you're going to be running it on the street the majority of the time, I'd get my setup for that and be happy the 95% of the time that it's on the street, where you're in it the most..
Old 01-13-2009 | 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

No, you don't have to go with tru-trac, just what I chose to run since my car is going to be on the street 99.9% of the time... A locker is loud, and a spool will wear tires out fast as well as be a pain at slow speeds in parking lots and wet/snow conditions (i'd imagine)... If you do get the tru-trac, then they're limit is 31 spline axles though.. so you will be limited to those.

I said a 3.70 because that way if you need to drive it on the highway, it won't be a pain and you could have decent gas mileage. If it will never see highway time, I would have said 3.90. As for spray, I'm not sure what gear you'd need but I know some of the nitrous guys like running a 3.42, etc.. It all depends on what you want, but if you're going to be running it on the street the majority of the time, I'd get my setup for that and be happy the 95% of the time that it's on the street, where you're in it the most..

Thanks, do you have any popping while turning like some of the others with the trutrac? I am getting ready to order the rear but still have a few questions. Will the stock driveshaft work with just getting a different u-joint? What is the down side, if any, to getting a larger number of splines for street use?

Last edited by madclown; 01-13-2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added a question
Old 01-13-2009 | 12:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

most of the M6 cars will go with the 4.11's, but it all depends on what you want for performance. theres usually only a few hundred rpm between each gear for highway numbers.
as far as the 3ch abs, the Truetrac, Detroit Locker, or spool is required to accept the 3ch abs mod. it will not work with a clutch-type posi unit. either the iron or aluminum case can be used in the 3ch application as well.
the truetrac is proven and we have had zero problems with it so far. it is currently available in 31 spline as the largest axle, but the 31 spline axles are proven strong enough to get a f-body car into the mid 9 second range at 1.3 60 foots. 35 spline is never a bad idea, but why overkill. the truetrac is a quiet,smooth operating posi unit that requires no maintenance or gear oil addatives. it has by far been the best selling posi unit for the bolt-in 9 inch application. the only downsides to the 35 spline s that they are heavier, and only available to be used with a spool or Detroit Locker. the locker is more of a big 4wd truck type diff unit, although there are some out there in the cars.
the stock driveshaft will work with a conversion u-joint. the stock aluminum shaft will get you by, but thats about it. the stock shaft is light, but it is also paper thin and then weak. if you have the power and driving style to need an aftermarket rearend, then you need the driveshaft. the Strange 3 inch chromemoly driveshaft has been the most popular seller, the PST aluminum is the next.
Old 01-13-2009 | 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

i have to say that my hollow 35sp axles along with the spool have been completely fine on the street.

yea it scrubs the tires on tight turns.. my tires dont last 3k miles anyways. if its wet out (or even parking lot painted lines) will let the tire slide easier

if you have normal size front tires and power steering there isn't any more trouble really dealing with it on tight maneuvers.. but you can hear, feel the binding.. just use little more throttle.
Old 01-13-2009 | 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, do you have any popping while turning like some of the others with the trutrac? I am getting ready to order the rear but still have a few questions. Will the stock driveshaft work with just getting a different u-joint? What is the down side, if any, to getting a larger number of splines for street use?
for the 30-50 miles that it was in, i had no problem.. i'm now on a borrowed center section.. if i could do it again, i'd order the housing/axles, etc, without the third member.. eric does a great job on welding and fabricating so i wish i would have let him focus on doing that. he makes a truly beautiful piece that's for sure. he might get lucky with setting up center sections sometimes, but i was disappointed with mine. i say get someone who is known or does it solely to set you up.
Old 01-13-2009 | 11:17 PM
12 Second Club

for the 30-50 miles that it was in, i had no problem.. i'm now on a borrowed center section.. if i could do it again, i'd order the housing/axles, etc, without the third member.. eric does a great job on welding and fabricating so i wish i would have let him focus on doing that. he makes a truly beautiful piece that's for sure. he might get lucky with setting up center sections sometimes, but i was disappointed with mine. i say get someone who is known or does it solely to set you up.
I thought the third members cam straight from moser or strange? I didnt know he assembled them. Is that true?
Old 01-14-2009 | 02:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

we do set up the center sections here as well. i use all high quality components in the rearends. the centers consist of Strange or Moser cases, pinion supports, and yokes. Tractech(truetrac or detroit locker) diff units, Timken bearings, and Motive or Richmond gears. truth of the matter with the gears is that the quality and consistency of the gearsets are not all that great, and we as consumers are stuck with what we get from the manufacturer. to make matters worse, the f-body car transmits more noise than almost any other make due to the torque arm design.

we setup tons of gears here, not just the 9 inch f-body rearends. rest assured that the gearset is setup to the best it can be when it leaves the shop. i leave the gear marking compound on the gearset for the customer to inspect if need be. unfortunately, there is no way for us(or anybody) to tell if a gear is gonna make noise until it is in the car. the 9 inch is easy to adjust the pinion shims if someone would desire to take the time to do so, in an effort to possibly make a fine tune if there would be some noise that would be considered excessive.

none of the gear manufacturers warranty gears for noise. an aftermarket ring and pinion set is considered to be a "performance related product and noise is to be expected". "most of the warrantied gears we see back are from improper break-in procedure". - quotes directly from a tech at one of the most popular manufacturers.

there have been a few gears that never left my shop due to a pattern that i was not happy with right away. the gear is replaced and sent back to the manufacturer and never sees the car. i have been at this for many years and i guarantee you i am as good or better than the people at Strange or Moser in setting up gears. i am picky about the rearend setups and whatever time is needed to assemble a gear properly is done each and every time, one at a time.
Old 01-14-2009 | 07:24 AM
Launching!

My 4.30's are as quiet as can be... I have no complaints!
Old 01-14-2009 | 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Just wanted to say thanks to Eric. He has been great to deal with. I have bought alot of other parts from him since I bought my rear. No reason to do business anywhere else for this type of stuff. He is the man! Look forward to installing his custom Strange front brake kit.
Old 01-14-2009 | 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

My 3:55's are as quiet as can be also!! Cheers Eric.
Old 01-14-2009 | 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

with all the small talk out of the way can i get an ETA on the rear i ordered Eric??
Old 01-14-2009 | 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

I just sent out a deposit for mine. I can't wait

Quick Reply: Midwest Chassis & Performance fab rearends... new pics