Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Midwest Chassis & Performance fab rearends... new pics

Old 02-22-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not going to post on here what he quoted me, thats up to him. All I can say is that price includes allot of extras as the base price. The 'other guys' you have to add all of those options ontop. Aside to that he includes many other components with his base price, like chomemoly T/A and applicable xmember, etc, etc. Well worth checking out and I will be ordering one next month for sure. Jsut getting the money in line in the meantime
Old 02-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being that I've been a chassis fabricator most of my life and have managed a shop that has won 2 Car Craft chassis builder of the year awards I'd have to differ with you. I see design flaws in the Midwest piece but to each his own. His customers claim 2 weeks wait, Moser's is 2 days. Moser has been in business 20 years and stand behind their product. they've been bashed by gear failure and they don't actually make the gears. I struggle with the bashing of the Moser product to gain businnes share. I'm not saying Midwest is an inferior product! As a said before show me what makes it better. The midwest brackets in his standard housings are located in closer to the center section but so is Moser's on the Chrome Moly housing. I'd asked previously if they were mig welded. if they are it seems like a lot of heat being put into that housing. Usually they need to be ground or milled to insure a flat surface.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:14 AM
10 Second Club

I'm pretty sure he tig welds everything. If you go and search his posts he states TIG welds i believe. Also test mule with only 9 posts, starting in Feb. of this year, and no sig to prove you have anything it is hard to take your comments in any way by fact. I'm not trying to sound like i'm going against you but for a new member to be very critical of a sponsors parts and spouting off things you have done in the past its hard to believe. I hope I am very wrong in my thinking but it seems like you are just bashing his product. Also you say it has many design flaws but you haven't stated in any way any of these flaws besides things I'm sure Vicary does to all his parts to begin with.

On mosers M9 I have pointed out that it has a staggered torque arm mount. Others have assured me that this is perfectly functional and safe, but I don't believe this is the case on a fast strip car for a period of time. I could be very mistaken and I'm sure Moser has done there homework but to me it doesn't seem like a good design. Also I have seen Vicary's work personally and it looks extremely top notch. There is something to be said with a convertable camaro with I would say minimal work pulling low 1.30 60's. Also his corvette tube chassis build that is in his sig is amazing to say the least. At the last track rental last year, which he puts on every year himself, they brought the Vette and it was a piece of art to say the least.

Last edited by pddye; 02-22-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my package prices are quoted as shipping included. no extra costs or fees to hide. the only thing to consider is if a *completely assembled* rearend has to be delivered residential, then there is a liftgate truck fee, which is gonna happen no matter who sells a product of this size and weight. i do offer a completely assembled rearend(assembly is free), and i have a great discount from FedEx Freight, which i pass along to the customer.
Don't ever be fooled by someone offering "Free Shipping". freight is never free, i don't care who you are.
i have never "bashed" the Moser M9's... i sell Moser products, why would i bash them? i will, however, state the features of my housings that make it a benefit compared to all the other housings out there.

Midwest Chassis Fabricated 9 inch rearend features:
-cad design components, laser cut, cnc folded, seamless tubing, billet housing ends
-fixture welded for consistency and accuracy
-all usa made steel and components, other than Motive Gear brand gears(Italy)
-designed to work on street cars with ORY full exhaust, duals, or hard-core drag cars
-true fabricated design. triangulated design is much stronger than stock stamped type housings. the lightest weight bolt-in housing available and guaranteed as strong or stronger than any others made of the same materials.
-fully gusseted design. internal bulkhead gussets and axle tube go all the way to the carrier studs, fully welded around axle tube, face plate, and housing back side.
-widest housing design- increases strength of housings with or without brace. 4-5 inches of axle tube is welded to the faceplate
-same design housing we use on 200+ mph top sportsman cars
-any width- no charge
-narrowed lca brackets available- no charge
-4 hole adjustable relocator style lca brackets standard- no charge
-drain plug standard- no charge
-stock style mounted anti-sway bar brackets standard- no charge
-e-brake cable and brake hose brackets welded on(or bolt-on)- no charge
-brake line clips welded on- no charge
-housing vent included
-all grade 8 hardware included
-ARP housing studs installed
-tapered housing backbrace installation available- option charge
-chromemoly adjustable torque arm included- tunnel mount or trans xmember mount
-torque arm uses a aircraft grade, chromemoly, teflon lined heim joint at the front to allow suspension articulation with no bind.
-trans crossmember mounted version available for any transmission combo
-tunnel mounted crossmembers available for cat-back or duals.
-tunnel mounted versions include driveshaft loop- no charge
-torque arm is mounted to the crossmembers with a 4 hole height adjustable pivot link. this is the best design to free up suspension movement.
-street version link is mounted to the crossmember with a Energy Suspension polyurethane bushing to eliminate noise created by the other designs.
-any type center section available. nodular iron, aluminum Strange or Moser
-all ring and pinion gear setups are complete. i assemble them myself. 15 years exp.
-drag-race anti-roll bar available- rearend housing or chassis mounted- option charge
-mild steel and *full* chromemoly versions available. some company's claim their housings to be all chromemoly when the stamped factory type center is not chromemoly
-any one-off custom feature available- you want it- we can build it to your spec.
-industrial grade powdercoating available on the entire setup... only 100.00 as option!
-first company to offer 3 channel abs on production 9 inch rearends
-suspension, driveshaft, brake components offered at discount with rearend purchase
-we are a chassis shop- design, build, assemble, race the components we sell.
-when you call, you talk to me(day or night)... the guy who designed it and built it.

- base price package starts at 2600.00 shipped. includes the housing, axles, complete center section, torque arm and applicable crossmember for your application. a standard 9 inch with similar options and an equivalent torque arm setup will cost over 3000.00. the Midwest Chassis fabricated 9 inch includes features at no charge that others don't even offer.

these are just a few things that come to mind... this post will be long enough.

Last edited by ssvert99; 02-23-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by IROC test mule
Being that I've been a chassis fabricator most of my life and have managed a shop that has won 2 Car Craft chassis builder of the year awards I'd have to differ with you. I see design flaws in the Midwest piece but to each his own. His customers claim 2 weeks wait, Moser's is 2 days. Moser has been in business 20 years and stand behind their product. they've been bashed by gear failure and they don't actually make the gears. I struggle with the bashing of the Moser product to gain businnes share. I'm not saying Midwest is an inferior product! As a said before show me what makes it better. The midwest brackets in his standard housings are located in closer to the center section but so is Moser's on the Chrome Moly housing. I'd asked previously if they were mig welded. if they are it seems like a lot of heat being put into that housing. Usually they need to be ground or milled to insure a flat surface.

they are fixture welded with the faceplate bolted down for the entire assy process. the standard housings are a combo of mig and tig welded processes. a fully tig welded rearend is not a problem if someone wants one. to the obvious... or maybe not to some, the full chromemoly housings are fully tig welded. mig or tig is more of a matter of application, not quality.

and where have i bashed Moser to gain business? seems to me that has come from the other direction on this board... like i said... i sell Moser products... why would i bash?

as far as the wait... Moser operates a huge building with lots of production welders and overhead costs... i custom build to customers specs... not just one design, one option.

Last edited by ssvert99; 02-22-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Most all forums with threads from a specific company or manufacturer turn in to bashing in one way or another. It's pretty sad. You have a fantastic product IMO as well as others I'm sure. Bandwagon brand name boys will always bash anyone who comes along and tries their hand in that market or part. You respectfully and tactfully respond to all posts which says volumes about you.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

it is like it is.... and it is the 'net. what more can we say.

honesty and consistency are the best policy here. no bs...
Old 02-22-2008, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

Erik has never bashed a Moser product on the board, and not even in any of the many private phones calls discussing parts. He is very professional at all times. Mine will be here next week and I'll post plenty of pics of the setup.

John
Old 02-22-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

I'll say it again too, Eric is a great guy and I will be ordering my custom rear next month and can't wait. He's very professional and even took the time to bs about non car realated things with me. Fully honest about everything, even suspension parts that aren't included, etc. He told me for my needs that he reccommended me going with another sponsor since its a street car. He could have fed me bs so I ordered his shocks, springs and sway bars, etc.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:14 AM
TECH Resident

got to say this sounds amazing, and I really like the personal touch of having someone experienced build the rear, too bad I did not see this or you were not doing this a year ago, or I might have gone to you instead of dealing with DLS aka Scott
Old 02-23-2008, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

Eric, FWIW, you ought to make a new thread with that detailed post you just made. I didnt know half of that stuff was standard and I have already ordered my rear! List that, all the options, and some pics in a brand new thread and you will be good to go. It helps people to know too that the more stuff they get from you, the more of a total savings. You can also list your PHB and LCA's and all that too for people that want to do it all at once.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99

it is like it is.... and it is the 'net. what more can we say.

honesty and consistency are the best policy here. no bs...
And that is why you will be getting my business!!!
Old 02-23-2008, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

I'm just wondering how it actually compares to the M-9. I've hears a few guys on this thread bash the M-9 and I've also noticed that Bob from Exotic has been up front with pricing and he also covers the shipping. What I really want to know is what makes this stuff better? It's my understanding that Moser has over 30 of these out there with no problems. I've noticed that on this thread they claim the M-9 to be over priced but there has been no actual comparison of pricing. If the Midwest package is $2600. and Bob sells the M-9 for around $3000. and covers the $200. plus shipping so it it seems to be a wash on pricing. Bob has posted on another thread the plusses of the M-9 but i've seen nothing on the Midwest thread about what makes their package better. I've found that the best way to do business is to tell people why your product is better not bash your competition. So tell me why this is better!
Alot of the standard parts on the Midwest rear ...you pay extra for on the Moser M9. By the time you add it all up, plan on spending 3800-to over 4000 for the M9. I have bought Moser stuff through Bob and EPP however I cannot justify that kind of cash and Bob know's where I'm coming from when I say this. So it's common sense if something is as good or may in someway be better but cost less..that's not hard to figure out. It's better to me because of all the standard equipment you get and the customer service as well. Maybe you should call Erik and talk to him yourself (go to the source) instead of raising questions on a an open forum.

Last edited by SS1875; 02-23-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Don't worry about it, that guy obviously doesn't know what he is talking about. Like already said, its the internet and you always get someone like that.

Eric, I agree to make another thread with all of that info. I never knew about this stuff and wan't gonna consider you until you confronted me. Once I knew the difference it was a no brainer for sure. I will 100% be ordering from you next month, but still after, pm after pm with you I didn't know about your LCA's and PHB. I seen them last week in a members post, well you bet I'll be ordering those kick *** pieces too. Especially for the cost and quality of them.

Hats off to a great sponsor who will in the near future progress immensly take off in business production. You better plan on upgrading your staff soon Eric
Old 02-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Banned

subscribing
Old 02-24-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it appears that you have good credentials. But please answer these two questions.

1. What are the design flaws you are referencing in the Midwest product?
2. Why as a credited professional, would you not consider it an "inferior" product if it has design flaws like what you have referenced? I assume you are not referring to the brackets position that is the same on the M9.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Teching In

1.Torque arm design. it looks like the upper tube was an after thought.
2. vertical seams on the back of the housing. Prone to breakage.
3. 1/4" face plate. sooner or later the bottom will pull out no matter how big the bulkheads are. Especially in a 3600 lb car.
4. Press in studs. If you remove the center section a few times sooner or later they will get knocked loose.
5. Square tube crossmember. They stopped using square tubing in race cars in the 70's

As a fabricator when I look at the side to side comparisons it looks like a lot of thought went into the whole Moser Package. with the Midwest package all of the focus was placed on the housing.

The way I see it is that both companies sell a good product.

The only actual bashing i've seen Eric do was the 10,000 price tag on the M-9 and when someone comments on replacing their Moser stuff With Midwest stuff. Other than that Eric has been straight up with anyone that has posted on this site. Most of the bashing has come from other naysayers on this thread. And i do appreciate the response from him regarding his torque arm and housing package. Now we know what you get from Midwest.

Midwest adds options at no charge. that doesen't seem to make good business sense to me. When you generate accessories it's only natural to pass the cost of the R&D to the customer by charging for those upgrades. Moser options on the package are the sway bar mount,LCA's and the back brace. the other options such as center section upgrades or axle upgrades could be incurred at Midwest as well.

Please remember that these are opinions. You may judge my opinions and also have your own. But they are only opinions. some guys drive Chevys and some guys drive Fords and others drive Chryslers.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

upper tube on the torque arm an afterthought? are you kidding me? that design relies less on a welded area that the other designs out there, imo. how many ways are there to make one, anyway? for that matter, mine was released to the public first... no afterthoughts.
how do you know that the faceplate i use is 1/4 inch material? have you had one of my housings in your hand? used a caliper to measure it? so you're telling me that the 200 mph top sportsman cars i have done that 60 foot 1.0's are having housing failures? you're also telling me that vertical welds on a housing design are prone to fail? what about the 6 second Pro Mod cars that are using this design housing? want proof?
you're telling me that the ARP housing studs used in my housings are gonna have issues?
you're telling me that the rectangular tube torque arm crossmember i use is old school? what about the other manufacturers using them? they old school too? has nothing to do with ground clearance on the tunnel mounted version and sheer strength over and above a round tube on the trans crossmember version does it?
I'm not saying Moser does not have a good product, and i should hold up fine, but i *guarantee* you the setup i make that is similar to Moser's will hold more rotational torque on a stress test.
the $10,000 quote posted in that thread was intended to be laughing stock, and it did exactly that. sorry you didn't take it that way.
as far as my prices... its my business, its my product. i will make things an optional charge as i see fit. this product was aimed at the street/strip crowd, with race applications available and custom components to compliment each customers needs. 90 percent of these rearends are going on the street, and not every person out there has fabrication/cutting/welding skills, let alone the tools to do it. these rearends are a 100 percent bolt-in, with standard features that should be on a rearend that you pay 2500.00 + for. i.e.- a person paying that money shouldn't have to spend 35.00 for a freaking drain plug that costs me 6 dollars... its called a "feature", not a "option". it doesnt take 5 minutes to tig weld a threaded insert to a existing hole that is designed into a laser cut housing center piece.

i thank anyone here for taking the time to point out things that may need to be addressed. when its all said and done we will all be informed of the benefits and features of my products.

i accept and listen to all opinions, but there are facts involved that need not be opinionated. maybe one should be educated before voicing opinions. it may make said one look like less of an *** in the end.

thank you.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:56 PM
10 Second Club

Ill be ordering mine next week.. Whats the turn around time at the moment?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

at the moment... were at about 15 working days depending on the powdercoating schedule. the newest design housing materials are finally here that i started cad design in early December! i will post pics in a new thread at another date, but it's basically the same thing, just designed f-body/mustang specific instead of modified tube chassis car housing. this will speed up the assembly process qiute a bit. the goal here is to be caught up in the next few weeks and be able to have housings in stock, able to ship out in a few days. this rearend business has turned into a full time position by itself!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Midwest Chassis & Performance fab rearends... new pics